Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable?

This is a discussion on Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe instead of more this and this We need more this and this Otherwise we get this and this Just an observation....

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable?

Maybe instead of more this and this

We need more this and this

Otherwise we get this and this

Just an observation.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Maybe instead of more this and this

We need more this and this

Otherwise we get this and this

Just an observation.

Noooo, no beerchugs. When I consume alcohol, I become disagreeable.
    suntzu likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

^^^^^^^^^

Could be rootbeer...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Noooo, no beerchugs. When I consume alcohol, I become disagreeable.
    That I would agree with
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Okay... I just finished catching up to this thread, and I really wish I had gotten in on the ground floor.

To answer the question in the OP title, yes. It's the word ever that makes it so.

To expand on the OP content, if I were in an active shooter situation and I was not in the direct line of fire, I would try to direct as many people as I could to the exits and behind some kind of cover, but would make my way toward the shooter. The closer I can get, the less likely I am to have a stray round. As much as I don't want to play the hero, I also couldn't just run out letting any number of people pay for my escape with their lives.

OTOH, if I were in the line of fire, I would seek cover and a rest and return fire. Yes, a higher likelihood of an unfortunate hit on a bystander, but if I am taking fire so are those in my own line of fire.

Franky, the good of the many does outweigh the good of the few (or the one). It's a sad statement, but if someone is already in a spree shoot, they're obviously not going to stop until they run out of steam, ammo, or functioning weapons. Sideshow Bob at Aurora managed to hit 70+ people before he ran out of steam. Laffy Taffy at that Safeway in Arizona managed to hit 18 before a jam took him out. I can't come up with a nickname for Virgina Tech, but that was 49 killed or injured before he did himself in. These body counts could have all been mitigated if someone was properly armed and took the shot. If I was a parent of someone at one of these shootings, I would want someone to take the shot. Do your best to make it a clean shot, but take the shot.
    OPFOR and Mike1956 like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I've thought about that CO shooting, and how all those people were willing to be victims.
    Consider a theater, it's a very crowded place. After the shooting started, the shooter moved up the steps, while carrying three weapons and wearing body armor. He had to be within 5' of people who were trying to get on the floor. If one of them had jumped on him, he would be off balance and other movie goers could jump on the pile. Hell, you could take 5 ten yr olds, and take down an adult. We are so safe in America that the shock of a life and death situation paralyzes people, and they simply wait to be shot.
    I'm constantly telling myself, "I will not be a victim." Act.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I've thought about that CO shooting, and how all those people were willing to be victims.
    Consider a theater, it's a very crowded place. After the shooting started, the shooter moved up the steps, while carrying three weapons and wearing body armor. He had to be within 5' of people who were trying to get on the floor. If one of them had jumped on him, he would be off balance and other movie goers could jump on the pile. Hell, you could take 5 ten yr olds, and take down an adult. We are so safe in America that the shock of a life and death situation paralyzes people, and they simply wait to be shot.
    I'm constantly telling myself, "I will not be a victim." Act.
    What got me was several of the survivors who got interviews said they were "looking right up at him" from the floor. TRIP HIM or something.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Links