Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable?

This is a discussion on Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This question was triggered by my thoughts on the CO incident in another thread. If you could have stopped the shooter in CO right after ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable?

This question was triggered by my thoughts on the CO incident in another thread. If you could have stopped the shooter in CO right after he started shooting, but there was an innocent person right next to him that you might hit, what is the right thing to do?

I am not 100% sure how I feel and am looking for honest evaluation, not platitudes about the basic firearm rules. What is the right thing to do, and what should you do legally?

We know he shot 70 people. If you could have stopped it at 1 or 2, would it be worth it? Could you shoot knowing that you might sacrifice 1 person to save 11 more, or 50 more. Could you emotionally handle the one death by your hand to prevent more deaths by his?

The family of the person you might hit would probably say don't do it, but how do you know that he won't just turn and gun her down next anyway? But they would ask who you are that you should play God and decide who lives or dies. Is it better for me to make that decision about 1 person, or let the madman continue to exercise that decision about many many more.

Could you handle being villanized by the anti's and the hindsight is 20-20 people who would then not know how many lives you had saved, because you did not allow the madman to continue. There would surely be jail time for you if they figured out that it was your gun that killed this person, especially if the media got wind of it.

I understand that as a random citizen we do not have the "responsibility" to intervene, we are not police, and many will say that my responsibility is to my family and myself, but even so, I feel at least some responsibility as a human to not let bad things happen if I am in a position to stop them. I guess this is part of my cost/benefit analysis on this type of sittuation. From the LEO or military in the crowd, how are you guys trained on this topic, and do they explain how that training might apply to average citizens?

What do you all think?
    Ionracas likes this.
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

NO. never. if you don't have the shot, you don't take it. we are not cops, they get paid to deal with that. and i doubt any leo would answer yes either.
    Brad426, Lish, 40Bob and 3 others like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    I would have to weigh the risks as best I could and, if I truly believed that putting one person at risk would lead to saving the lives of a dozen...well... We used to have a saying, which sort of applies here (though it sounds incredibly callous, it really isn't): "Being a hostage is a dangerous job."
    OldVet, airslot and phreddy like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No, I don't think committing aggravated assault or murder is acceptable.

Hence, why I push myself in training.
    Brad426 and Dutch1951 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Your bullets are your responsibility. Whether you injured/killed someone accidently for the greater good or not, you will be found guilty and responsible.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I would have to weigh the risks as best I could and, if I truly believed that putting one person at risk would lead to saving the lives of a dozen...well... We used to have a saying, which sort of applies here (though it sounds incredibly callous, it really isn't): "Being a hostage is a dangerous job."
    I normally agree with you but on this I totally disagree. If you are a member of an HRT, SWAT team, ST6, SFOD, sure. But you as a civilian should not be making that decision on who lives and who dies based on your moral comfort.

If you are in imminent danger yourself that is different.
    Brad426, Ionracas and Secret Spuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I normally agree with you but on this I totally disagree. If you are a member of an HRT, SWAT team, ST6, SFOD, sure. But you as a civilian should not be making that decision on who lives and who dies based on your moral comfort.

Have to disagree here. I would hold those that I highlighted more responsible. Contrary to how some like to think they are not military and not in a war. There is no way that the killing if innocents by the police should ever be considered acceptable. Now soldiers in wartime. Yes there are many times where innocents lives lost are acceptable.

Michael
    Brad426, Secret Spuk and hogdaddy like this.

I do not think so. I do not think it would be worth it. If I didnt have the shot hopefully I was running with my family to safety trying to cover our 6.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Define imminent danger. If you are in his field of fire, but not a specific target, is that imminent enough? Or do you have to wait until he is targeting you specifically before you can risk it? Morally or legally?

Legally, you will probably never get off, but to each of us, our lives and protecting our family would be more important than the other person, right? And it is not like you are trying to kill them, it is just a possibility that they might be hit.

Edit: I'm not saying I feel either way, just asking questions.
    Walk softly ...

As I said in the other thread, it is easy in hindsight to say "I would SAVE lives if I hit an innocent person (or three) if I took the shooter out" but the reality is you don't have that luxury in the moment. If I killed an innocent bystander that is all I would be able to remember about the event, not the lives I MAYBE saved.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    As I said in the other thread, it is easy in hindsight to say "I would SAVE lives if I hit an innocent person (or three) if I took the shooter out" but the reality is you don't have that luxury in the moment. If I killed an innocent bystander that is all I would be able to remember about the event, not the lives I MAYBE saved.
    I can totaly feel you on that. I would tear myself up after if it were to happen.

But I would also tear myself up if I was there and could have done something to save many people lives, and didn't.
    Brad426 and phreddy like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I can totaly feel you on that. I would tear myself up after if it were to happen.

But I would also tear myself up if I was there and could have done something to save many people lives, and didn't.
    Yep, I feel that too. I hope I never have to decide.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I feel that it is 100% unacceptable. I also dont think there is much to say as to why I feel this way. Could it be worth the life of one to save many? MAYBE. But that is not a choice I will make. If I go to jail but succesfully stopped the threat, I may feel it was a worthy sacrafice but not at the cost of someone other than the gunmans life.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    Well, I'm not exactly a "civilian." And I totally understand, and for the most part agree with, all the arguments against taking the shot. I am certainly not saying that I WOULD. I am saying that, based on the totality of the circumstances, I won't write off any possibility of taking the shot. That's all.
    phreddy, 10thmtn, macg19 and 1 others like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That is a decision that only you can make. Under Texas law the only bullets you send down range that you are not liable for are the ones that hit nothing but the bad guy.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links