Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

This is a discussion on Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dog lovers let their pooches run without a leash - they think it's cute. If I am walking with a little kid and rover gets ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

Dog lovers let their pooches run without a leash - they think it's cute. If I am walking with a little kid and rover gets aggresive, then it's 'Bed-Time' for Rover.

An owner that lets an aggressive dog run around is asking to get his dog shot. Everyone gets these crazy dogs, pythons, big lizards, and they get loose. I live in Fl and we got 20 ft snakes thanks to pet owners that turned it loose.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Animals are just doing want animals do without thought. Humans have to make a conscious decision to decide if they will hurt you. That's what seperates man from animal, the ability to reason.
    Agreed, but should that make a person more willing to accept harm from one over the other? If I will not accept being stabbed why then should I accept being bitten or clawed? Do I kill the shark or allow it to eat me?

Michael

This is one of my labs. He's a great companion and very loyal. He does leave a bit to be desired as far as a hunting dog but we're working on that. That's another story. :) This is his "protective mode" and what an intruder would have to confront first as he has house night watch inside. As a responsible dog owner I have already had the talk with my neighbor that has been over to my house and I told him that IF for some reason he got loose and threatened his family at his house, he has my full recommendation and blessing to drop him on the spot. Although I love all of my dogs, I would not be able to deal very well with the fact that my dog hurt someone. I don't take his tether lightly either; since this picture was taken, he's been bound by a chain that could tow an aircraft carrier if he's tied up and not in the house with us.

This is what happens when my chickens get too close to his food dish as his warning. He also does this at the door with unfamiliar guests. In response to the OP, if this was happening in front of me with a dog that I didn't know, I would not hesitate to shoot even if it appears that he is holding and not actually biting.

Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Moderator
    Having taking reports of people that were seriously injured by even small dogs, I think that most people underestimate the damage that sharp teeth can do.

In a serious dog bite, even a small one, it can take months or even years to recuperate, if one has not experienced nerve damage of some sort. I can take you to several victims of dog bites where the the person lost partial use of a hand or an arm due to nerve damage.

Its not something to be taken lightly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    We are humans.
    We are the top of the food chain.
    We do not have to take any crap,bites,scratches,whatever it may be...from an animal.

I had to blast a pit bull once. He died at my feet,ever splattered blood on my boots.
    I dang sure didnt wait until he bit me.

For the liberal loons that use lies and liberal logic to attempt to dictate how I live...Sorry... Aint happenin.
    Oh yeah, ain't been in the water with a Great White lately, have you? Bet it would have a different opinion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Agreed, but should that make a person more willing to accept harm from one over the other? If I will not accept being stabbed why then should I accept being bitten or clawed? Do I kill the shark or allow it to eat me?

Michael
    Yes, kill the shark. 😲. Don't get me wrong, if there's an angry dog of size barreling down on me in a full charge, I take the shot. Poodles...not so much. If they're just a threat and move on I see no need. I think we all know what a full charge is. I work with the public 5 days a week which also means their pets. I can read them pretty good. I've only been bitten once and that dog was just plain nuts. I invaded his space by throwing out one of his toys to fetch and he took offense and attacked from a short distance. I just had time to keep beating him in the head until he realized he wasn't going to win. Wasn't that bad
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    My post was only to question those who say that is attacked by beast they would give the animal more leeway than they would if attacked by a human. Yes on this form there are those who say that if a dog attacked they would hold off against using deadly force until they had been bitten. Yet a person with a knife comes at them they would use deadly force before being stabbed.
    I only question the reasons for this different reaction to similar threats.

Michael
    When you have no idea why an animal is attacking you there is no reason for a different reaction. Whether it is teeth and fur or a subhuman piece of crap I do not understand that there is a difference. Attack and potential injury is what it is and you act accordingly. Different reaction to an attack? If you think that is what forum members think when an animal attacks them I believe you are mistaken and asking a question that does not deserve an answer.

Animals don't get an extra pass for their lack of reasoning ability. Biting or otherwise destructive animals are dealt with. The shame of it all is the irresponsibility of animal owners who don't exercise good reasoning.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    When you have no idea why an animal is attacking you there is no reason for a different reaction. Whether it is teeth and fur or a subhuman piece of crap I do not understand that there is a difference. Attack and potential injury is what it is and you act accordingly. Different reaction to an attack? If you think that is what forum members think when an animal attacks them I believe you are mistaken and asking a question that does not deserve an answer.
    That is a conclusion that I have come to after seeing some of the posts related to animal attacks. Merely asking why they would react that way is all.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Animals don't get an extra pass for their lack of reasoning ability. Biting or otherwise destructive animals are dealt with. The shame of it all is the irresponsibility of animal owners who don't exercise good reasoning.
    Agreed.
    Again, contrary to what some would like to make my OP to be it has nothing to do with whether or not you should shoot fluffy. Same for humans. It was only an inquiry into the thinking process behind it. Like it or not if you can believe what they say many would use deadly force against a human quicker than they would a dumb animal.

Michael

Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?
    Yes....in ways, and for different reasons. Many times an animal attack can be avoided completely....however....dealing with a human attacker is much more intricate. Animals will still react according to body language, a gun pointed at them might have little effect or affect them little. A human that continues an attack when a gun has been presented obviously has to make a decision. I've presented both with the dilemma and I've never had to shoot either. Animals survive on instincts mainly...humans survive any way they know how. An animal is never going to take advantage of you the way a human would. It all lies within the brain. My simple compassion for animals outweighs my compassion for humans because animals are innocent and they cannot do evil.....man can, and is willing and able to do so. Animals also have no concept of death...only pain and suffering.
    tundra, 9MMare and Eichorn like this.

Animals get the same rule of engagement as Humans, no more no less.

When it gets to the point of them or me, I'll go with me.

I have no problem shooting anything medium sized on up in the dogs if they are aggressively attempting to bite me or others, or killing other pets or livestock. This is simply because they can do a lot of damage really fast, they might have rabies here in Texas, and I have no requirement to bleed before I shoot.

Small dogs like chihuahuas and dachshunds? Then it becomes a decision on if I really thought that they were rabid, because I am sure not gonna let them bite me, and whether or not there is some better way of defending against them than 9mm.

And yes, my Dolly the Destroyer is shocked, SHOCKED that I would give that last answer......

Dolly the Destroyer.jpg
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    First I realize that humans are animals. I use animals to cover all non human animals for this question.

In my State the use of deadly force in self defense required that you be in fear of death or great bodily harm. My questions is this. Why do so many think that the standard should be higher when it applies to dumb animals? On this forum and many others you see comments about how a person would not used deadly force against an animal unless they were actually being bitten or mauled. Would this person wait to be stabbed or shot by an attacking human before using deadly force to protect themselves?

Why the discrepancy? Why should what is attempting to do do your great bodily harm change how you defend yourself?
    Am I wrong to see this as a purely emotional response? That we do not want to think that fluffy actually intendeds to rip your throat out? Many of us are quick to say deadly force is permissible when we are in fear for our lives. That it is reasonable to shoot a person coming at you with a knife. Before they actually stab you. Yet when fluffy comes at you they say you should never shoot at just a threat. That you should only shoot if you are bitten.

Michael
    I question your original premise. I don't read every post of every thread, but animal topics generally catch my attention. I don't recall any posts suggesting that many people would hesitate to shoot an animal which was legitimately threatening their health or well-being, or that of others.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    When dealing with animals you have to use your brain, same as with any self defense scenario. Obviously, if some pee wee of a dog that weights a total of 3 pounds is nipping at your heels, you arent going to pull your gun and shoot it, you'll probably just launch it across the street.

You have to use a graded approached, common sense is required.

I know that its hard for some people, but you have to be smarter than the animal.
    9MMare likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links