Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers? - Page 4

Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

This is a discussion on Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll begin by stating I am most certainly not a dog person. I've been chased by entirely too many dogs in my day. Any dog ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

I'll begin by stating I am most certainly not a dog person. I've been chased by entirely too many dogs in my day. Any dog that threatens me gets knocked down a notch or two. Any dog small enough gets kicked, hard. Anything I think is too big to seriously damage that way gets shot.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

We are trained to ONLY "Stop the Threat" and once the threat is stopped it is the attackers choice to make if they want to continue the action.

Animals and humans when mortally injured may go into a state of shock and appear to be in a rage and continue the fight in order to stop the action you caused by injuring them (a defensive move on their part).

It may seem inhuman but more injury or evasive action on your part will have to take place because they now want more than ever to hunt you down and kill you (instintively).

Only the circumstances can dicate the outcome I believe.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I think the scary icon makes me leery of his posts

Are you sure you are in the right place?
    Harryball likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I have been "trained" to kill animals, it comes out the same whether it is for protection or food. There certainly is another standard, an animal that even threatens to attack me is getting a bullet.
    H8SPVMT likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

When I (admittedly rarely) go out for a walk or jog on my road the main reason I bring my weapon along is the animals. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a neighbor's dog if it were loose and coming at me, I wouldn't wait for it to bite. There are two houses in particular that worry me, one on each end of the road, each has 3-4 dogs that freak out on the fence when someone passes. I have no problem that they are protecting their property but worry especially with a pack mentality if they get out it could be bad. I don't bring my dog because that gets them hyped up even more, but if they got out and met me on the street I would shoot without hesitating.

My next door neighbor's dogs have a bad habit of coming into my yard. I've had one chew up some of my chairs. I won't kill it for that (it's tempting though to be honest) but I will peg it with a BB which the neighbor knows and is fine with. One of his dogs had our chihuahua in its mouth though one day and I didn't shoot it, I'm really not sure why other than I didn't want the wrath of my neighbor. Luckily it didn't injure my dog but certainly could have, the BB gun scared it off. Now had it come after a family member I would have shot it without a thought.

Personally, I have a Rottweiler that I love dearly. She's easily the best dog we have ever owned. I do not worry about her with my family (although I never leave any dog unattended with young kids) I have seen her go into protective mode and I'm sure she would defend us if the need should arise. Although I cannot fathom her being loose and/or attacking someone, IF it ever happened I would not fault someone for shooting her. And IF by some weird freak of events she ever tried to attack anyone here (that wasn't a BG), I'd shoot her myself.

I hired a farmer to kill a pig in order to 'protect' me from being hungry this morning.
    DPro.40 likes this.
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

A vicious animal acting aggressively towards me or my family is capable of inflicting serious physical injury, and even death. That goes double for certain breeds of dogs such as pit bulls, Dobermans or German Shepherds. The possibility that an aggressive animal might be infected with the rabies virus is another serious concern. Therefore, I would not hesitate to shoot any vicious animal that displayed aggressive tendencies towards me or another person with me in a public place and was not restrained.

If the animal acts in a way that I feel threatened, I would shoot. You gotta remember that these lovely balls of fur carry rabies. So, cats and dogs that are obviously domesticated and have not gone feral, I chase or try to. If they have gone feral or are naturally wild animals like raccoons I will take them out quickly.

Wow, actually I faced this dillema (is that right?), about 7 mos. back only at the time I didn't have a firearm. We were new in our neighborhood & my 8 year old daughter & I were simply walking through it to see what all was here. On one of the dead end streets, a house on our right had a dog & it had obviously gotten out of the garage (garage door was open & the dog looked like he was stretching his legs so to speak). We were in the middle of the road trying to avoid the dog when the damn thing started walking up snarling & growling with his neck hair all bristled up. I immediately pushed my daughter behind me & said "start walking backwards normally." The dog continued to approach & got within about 7 feet when I flicked my cigarette right in his face, he backed away about 20 feet, allowing us to get further away. He did not pursue & we went home.

However, even though I was unarmed, I had already made up my mind that if the dog attacked, I was not going to loose & was going to pin him & twist his damned head around 270 degrees (6'2" 270lbs vs. big chocolate lab). There was no way in hell I was going to loose in front of my daughter & possibly put her in mortal danger. Had I been armed at the time he would have died at the 7' mark.

I will not wait for an animal to draw blood....love my dogs, but a dog comes at me aggressivly, sorry bout his luck......i am in fear. unless it is the size that can be punted like a football....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I don't see the discrepancy that the OP does...... I think "some" people don't know animal behavior well enough at times to know if it's a real attack or something else.... because of the unfounded fears they have in some animals. That's not a failure of the animal, but humans who can't distinguish / discriminate animal behavior at times due to their lack of exposure and / or experience with them.
    In other words, it's much much more discernable that an attack is an attack, with a human..... but people 'mis-interpret' it easily when it comes to some animals.... and the animal shouldn't suffer due to the human's ignorance.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Depends on the whole situation. I used to have a strict dogs seen here do not leave here policy on my own property due to the problems with property damage/destruction. That of course, doesn't apply to everyday, out in the neighborhood situations.

When I was raising chickens I started mounting dog collars right alog side the coon tails.

But when I'm not guarding livestock, just regular neighborhood encounters, friendly dogs can walk. I've never had any trouble from loose dogs that I couldn't handle when I was walking my own dogs or anything. I'm not afraid, I'm not afraid of getting bitten even, and dogs can sense that. Most don't mess with me, and the few that do are always ankle biters. I did stomp one little 10lb yapper pretty good with my steel toes once. Like I said, nothin I can't handle. Larger dogs usually end up walking beside me like we're pals.

When working delivering pizza, if someone invites you over and doesn't secure their dog, and said dog bites you, you can sue them quite handsomely. The pizza guy likes mean dogs. Even an ankle biter can be worth $20k with a good lawyer. Just somethin to ponder.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Any dog can bite you pretty grieviously, and a big enough dog can cause serious injuries or death... As soon as the dog begins running toward you, the attack has already begun.

Dog has a mouth full of teeth, and he has no knowledge of any laws against killing humans. He is not inhibited in the least, and if he makes the decision, (for whatever reason in his instinctive brain) to attack you, his end-game is to destroy you.

Don't worry about the what the law says: Just take whatever actions you have to to save your life, or your loved ones' lives in the case of a dog attack.

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    Dog has a mouth full of teeth, and he has no knowledge of any laws against killing humans. He is not inhibited in the least, and if he makes the decision, (for whatever reason in his instinctive brain) to attack you, his end-game is to destroy you.
    I've never known anyone that knows for certain what's in the mind of an animal that can't effectively communicate with us. Who's to say whether the "end-game" desire in the mind of an animal is, by definition, one of destruction if an attack has initiated?

Seems to me that this is untrue in most cases. Most attacks (dog, human) simply don't result in destruction, or anything near that. And if interviews of captured human attackers are to be believed, death of the victim most often wasn't the foremost goal of the crime(s). Most dog attacks simply evaporate after a brief violent period, with the human still standing. Attack = an end-game desire of destruction? Don't think so.

Perspective. Getting bitten hurts, yes. It can be disfiguring, for a few. And on rare occasions, it can result in death, surely. But the average attack, brief that it is, no matter how violent, simply doesn't equate by definition to destruction. Every situation's different, and IMO should be treated as what it is ... not what it isn't.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Fluffy awwww why would anyone shoot fluffy ?? ....... Now you wanna talk about humans and pit bulls ?? Lets talk. Here in miami Fl. Pit bulls are illegal !! Thats right, because of its strangth and agressivness and bad rep.humans know to back off if a gun is pointef at them... Fluffy doesnt, .... Eddie.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links