Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

This is a discussion on Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; People that don't control their dogs are no better than strays themselves. According to WA State Law, an unleashed dog that threatens to attack, or ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

People that don't control their dogs are no better than strays themselves. According to WA State Law, an unleashed dog that threatens to attack, or attacks a human being is subject to the use of deadly force. I don't go looking for trouble, but if people let their dogs run loose, either animal control, an automobile, or the human it confronted may dispatch it. It has the potential to spread disease, disfigure or maim. As a threat to public safety, it is subject to destruction by the victim. The general public is not required to be victimized by an unrestrained animal. I have been involved in a case such as this, and the Vancouver Police Department told me that i had every right to defend myself against an attacking animal. If I shot it, they would be obligated to come take a report, but that would be to register what took place and inform (and cite) the animal's owner for not licensing/restraining a vicious animal.

While I have no desire to kill a dog, I have no desire, nor will I tolerate being bitten by ANY animal!

Scott

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I live outside city limits in an area not quite suburb and not quite rural. People tend to leave their dogs out to roam about, and I've noticed some of them have been banding together, forming loose packs. And they're big dogs. When they turn into packs, they forget their domestication.

I love dogs and grew up with dogs and have two of my own. If my dogs are being attacked - and mine stay on my property - I will shoot the attacking dog if it's a big one, or punt it if it's a small one. I have no problem punting someone's little dog that's biting my ankles, or shooting a big one if it's trying to turn me into a chew toy. I will do the same in defense of my children. Barkers can keep on barking, although they may get the hose.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Gee Wiz Harryball how much is left of the rabbit after you shoot it with a .44 mag.you kill those with a precisely thrown rock.and eat all the rabbit. HOLY TOLEDO a.44 mag on a little bunny wabbit.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Some people on this forum decry PETA and their ilk for "tree-hugging" and the like. Then there are those that think their animals are incapable of dong wrong. Obviously they believe their yapping Chihuahua is somehow exempt from being killed for turning vicious.

Trust me, any dog, regardless of size, attempting to bite me will come to an untimely end. Size doesn't matter.

Tough.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    People that don't control their dogs are no better than strays themselves. According to WA State Law, an unleashed dog that threatens to attack, or attacks a human being is subject to the use of deadly force. I don't go looking for trouble, but if people let their dogs run loose, either animal control, an automobile, or the human it confronted may dispatch it. It has the potential to spread disease, disfigure or maim. As a threat to public safety, it is subject to destruction by the victim. The general public is not required to be victimized by an unrestrained animal. I have been involved in a case such as this, and the Vancouver Police Department told me that i had every right to defend myself against an attacking animal. If I shot it, they would be obligated to come take a report, but that would be to register what took place and inform (and cite) the animal's owner for not licensing/restraining a vicious animal.

While I have no desire to kill a dog, I have no desire, nor will I tolerate being bitten by ANY animal!

Scott
    We get it. Some people are not animal people. It happens. I'm just glad I don't live on your block.

But use that rational for shooting an otherwise unarmed person, and you may find yourself living as a guest of the state for years to come. But these days, they fine you enough to cover the costs of your confinement too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

I've often wondered why this would even be a question in anyone's mind. I would shoot a dog or any other animal without a second thought if I thought myself or someone else was in danger. I'd even shoot a dog if it was attacking my dog no questions asked.

God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    We get it. Some people are not animal people. It happens. I'm just glad I don't live on your block.

But use that rational for shooting an otherwise unarmed person, and you may find yourself living as a guest of the state for years to come. But these days, they fine you enough to cover the costs of your confinement too.
    You are assuming far too much. I have two cats and love them to pieces. I do not let them go outside for the sake of their health and safety. I also know the difference between a marauding dog, and when Rex is "just being friendly." I'm not malevolent, nor am I stupid.

I have nearly been attacked by dogs that are off the leash in the park. Their owners couldn't seem to understand that their two dogs approached me growling with teeth bared why I was taken aback.

a) Their dogs weren't on a lead/leash (in accordance with the park rules) and

b) both were acting aggressively, as if threatening to bite me.

Why should I ignore the obvious signs of danger, and hope that "barky" doesn't lose control and bit me at his leisure?

Thanks, but I prefer to remain unmolested.

I had a conversation with a guy and had to agree with him. We were talking about dogs and such and his response was "A Dog Is A Tool". I love my dog just like everyone else. But to expound on what he was saying...he stated that if he and his family were on a camping trip and a bear or other wild animal appeared on the camp grounds...he would send his dog to attack..thus giving him time to get his wife and kids out of danger..draw weapon etc...if said dog does not return from the attack..the dog did what it was designed to do...ie BG breaks in house..send dog..if dog doesn't return..get another dog..

Everything is not cute and fuzzy...some of is for food other for protection..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links