Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

This is a discussion on Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First I realize that humans are animals. I use animals to cover all non human animals for this question. In my State the use of ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

Should use of deadly force be different for human or animal attackers?

First I realize that humans are animals. I use animals to cover all non human animals for this question.

In my State the use of deadly force in self defense required that you be in fear of death or great bodily harm. My questions is this. Why do so many think that the standard should be higher when it applies to dumb animals? On this forum and many others you see comments about how a person would not used deadly force against an animal unless they were actually being bitten or mauled. Would this person wait to be stabbed or shot by an attacking human before using deadly force to protect themselves?

Why the discrepancy? Why should what is attempting to do do your great bodily harm change how you defend yourself?
    Am I wrong to see this as a purely emotional response? That we do not want to think that fluffy actually intendeds to rip your throat out? Many of us are quick to say deadly force is permissible when we are in fear for our lives. That it is reasonable to shoot a person coming at you with a knife. Before they actually stab you. Yet when fluffy comes at you they say you should never shoot at just a threat. That you should only shoot if you are bitten.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

i am not a dog guy, but i have snakes and cats so i am an animal person, but i think if a dog has a hold of your arm, whether or not you think it is lethal you should be able to shoot it. they euthnise them in shelters all over the country and no one says boo.
    marcclarke likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I would shoot an animal (say a coyote, that are all OVER Atlanta, believe it or not) that I perceived as a threat in a heartbeat. No waiting to for the biting to start here.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    i am not a dog guy, but i have snakes and cats so i am an animal person, but i think if a dog has a hold of your arm, whether or not you think it is lethal you should be able to shoot it. they euthnise them in shelters all over the country and no one says boo.
    Yes, but why is it that we find it acceptable to shoot a human before he actually draws blood but will wait for blood to be drawn when fluffy is the perpetrator?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Yes, but why is it that we find it acceptable to shoot a human before he actually draws blood but will wait for blood to be drawn when fluffy is the perpetrator?

Michael
    I wont hesitate with either. Most of society doesnt view killing at all, what does this mean. It means, rather than go out shoot a critter, bring it back to the house, gut it, clean it and cook it. Most go to the store and pick out there favorite cut. People just do not realize anymore the circle of life. They see a cute animal and there heart tugs a bit. We have become a nation of wussies.

Example of what to do: Most folks See a cute fuzzy little bunny. THey think how cute, awwwwwww.
    I pull the .44 mag out with shot shells and have dinner on the table. Good eats. There is your difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I wont hesitate with either. Most of society doesnt view killing at all, what does this mean. It means, rather than go out shoot a critter, bring it back to the house, gut it, clean it and cook it. Most go to the store and pick out there favorite cut. People just do not realize anymore the circle of life. They see a cute animal and there heart tugs a bit. We have become a nation of wussies.

Example of what to do: Most folks See a cute fuzzy little bunny. THey think how cute, awwwwwww.
    I pull the .44 mag out with shot shells and have dinner on the table. Good eats. There is your difference...
    I don't get to agree with Harryball all that often (I think the scary icon makes me leery of his posts), but I do here. I am a dog guy, too (and sadly have had a few cats... stupid wife) but I just don't put the same value on animal life as I do human life. Sorry PETA.
    jem102 and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Depends on the animal. A large dog can bring you down and rip your throat out in seconds, whereas a small nipper will get your ankles pretty good. A wild animal is another thing altogether.

I'm going to use any foreknowledge of an animal in my defensive technique to help decide the best course of action. As with the human animal, the firearm is not the first option for me.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I don't get to agree with Harryball all that often (I think the scary icon makes me leery of his posts), but I do here. I am a dog guy, too (and sadly have had a few cats... stupid wife) but I just don't put the same value on animal life as I do human life. Sorry PETA.
    You do not like my avatar. Its just a doggy....
    Burns likes this.

Senior Moderator
    We are humans.
    We are the top of the food chain.
    We do not have to take any crap,bites,scratches,whatever it may be...from an animal.

I had to blast a pit bull once. He died at my feet,even splattered blood on my boots.
    I dang sure didnt wait until he bit me.

For the liberal loons that use lies and liberal logic to attempt to dictate how I live...Sorry... Aint happenin.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I wouldnt hesitate to use force against an animal, even if it hasnt made its move yet. I only wonder what kind of legal issues may surround it if say in an urban setting. I dont mean from the owners, they shouls keep the animal leashed as many laws suggest (regarding dogs). We didnt cover animal attacks in my carry class.

I agree that there shouldnt be a difference between human and animal but a person pulling a weapon and saying hes ganna fight you is different than an animal just growling. A loose dog growled at me the other day. Hand on my gun but if I shot it, in a residential area, I probably would have been arrested.

The dog was across the street. Kept growling but nothinf more. If it started moving even slowly towards me, no question I would shoot. But keeping its diatance, unleashed, Im not sure its worth the risk.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    I was trying to find a youtube clip..... Robin Williams talking to Ben Stiller "Who is evolved Larry? You are." (after the monkey slapping scene)

PETA and the bunny huggers ( good name for a band?) will whine and scream that being more evolved it is our obligation to not get into situations where we would have to use force (greater than harsh tone of voice) on critters. I have drawn on dogs running off leash in my mother in laws neighborhood. I would not lose a wink of sleep over blasting one of them if they had not turned away. If I had my OC with me at the time they would have had a face full.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I believe human's have a special place in this creation due to being made in the image of God. Therefore, I don't have a problem with killing an animal that appears to be an immanent threat to me and/or my family. It doesn't have to bite to be a threat. If it's growling and moving closer and closer as I am moving away from it, then I will stop that threat.
    BigStick likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You do not like my avatar. Its just a doggy....
    That doggy look eerily similar to fluffy which I mentioned in my earlier post.

Michael

Dont do what i just did!

Dont underestimate the ankle biters.

Its ironic this thread poped up today.

I cant imagine using deadly force on a small dog unless I had reason to believe it was rabid or was incredibly relentless. So Im in a private residence (I work EMS) and there is a big dog roaming the yard barking. Asked the homeowner to secure it, no problem there.

I get inside and there is a small dog, a shitzu I think. Its leaving me alone, dragging its bottom on the carpet. Then it gets up and atill minding its business as if nothing were happening. Suddenly the little thing lunges at me and as funny as I think little dogs are when they are aggressive, I didnt hesitate to give a good swift kick. Homeowner laughed, better not think calling my super will get anywhere.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

In my mind deadly force should be different for human and animal attackers. I like dogs. Humans...not so much. I'll give a dog the benefit of the doubt and use pepper spray on Fluffy. He's a dumb animial with limited capacity for understanding and is most likely simply the product of human abuse. The big dawg coming at me with bad intent... should be held to a different standard. Feel free to shy away if my honesty disturbs you.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links