2 scenarios: dog attack/ambush with no weapons by multiple attackers - Page 2

2 scenarios: dog attack/ambush with no weapons by multiple attackers

This is a discussion on 2 scenarios: dog attack/ambush with no weapons by multiple attackers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot depends where you are at. I lived outside of city limits in a rural area. A dog comes out and tries to bite ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2 scenarios: dog attack/ambush with no weapons by multiple attackers

A lot depends where you are at. I lived outside of city limits in a rural area. A dog comes out and tries to bite you or your dog , the expectation is you would most likely shoot it if armed. there was a good amount of livestock around ,and loose dogs where not tolerated. Dogs even barking at horses were dispatched if they were not on their property and annoying animals.

Sent via Mental Power
    Last edited by Happypuppy; July 31st, 2012 at 08:35 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Not sure about livestock in our state. I know they have block permits (kinda like a hunting license) to allow farmers to shoot critters harming there crops and heard, but in the scenario posted by the OP, I think you might catch some heat.

I would think that coyotes and dogs would fall into the same catagory

This from the MiDNR website....
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...996---,00.html

Note 1: Coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed

If a dog or coyote were about to have go-around with my dog, I would probably consider that damage.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You only have 5 shots.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

1. One possibility; Run like your life depends on it! Stop at choke points and engage pursuers until no one continues following. Tell witnesses to call 911, and make it known you are the victim.
    2. Dog-stand your ground and shoot Kujo. If witnessed, ask someone to call 911and wait for police. If not... police your brass! SSS
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    You only have 5 shots.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I would think that coyotes and dogs would fall into the same catagory

This from the MiDNR website....
    DNR - Fox & Coyote

Note 1: Coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed

If a dog or coyote were about to have go-around with my dog, I would probably consider that damage.
    A coyote or feral dog yea you can shoot them, but someones stray pet, or a dog the got away from its owner, not sure exactly, but you still might have issues. Family pets are viewed differently than your coyotes and other critters. Your not able to hunt a family pet...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

1. I run. I shoot the people if I can't get away.

2. I shoot the dog.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I think I need to work on my cardio :/ I'm a slow pos

Disparity of force. Read Ayoob when you get the chance.
    Rely on yourself, and not your dog.
    At this point, I'm wondering the purpose of the two part question or even the first or last part now.
    You are going to need to react the best you see fit at the time. I may walk into the valley of darkness with you, but I may have previous engagements. Comprende?

Well I asked because these two situations involve no weapons at all, and I've been reading a lot of peoples' explanations involving a DA or somebody that wants to f#$% you. The first scenario was supposed to be if you were just witnessing your friend being beaten to a pulp by randoms and being able to shoot or not. Obviously if 8 people are on me I'll try to shoot, but I'm just wondering how gun laws work when you're defending somebody that's not yourself. I need to take some ccw classes and barrage the instructor with questions, but for now I'm just using this forum (kind of makes me think how it would work out if you were defending a complete stranger).

As for the second scenario, I'd rather use pepper spray and a knife (if I have to), but I love my rottweiler, she's an amazing dog and I just want to know whether or not I'm allowed to shoot a dog because it's going after my angel ha. There's been a couple of times where random dogs will come after us when they've escaped their owners, some of them were pretty damn big dogs. Thankfully all they wanted to do was sniff her butt, but if a vicious dog comes out and attacks my dog for no reason, last resort, I want to know if I can use a gun with a clear shot. I couldn't just sit there and watch her throat being torn out by some dog that has no business being out in public.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links