Guy with .357 assists responding officer

This is a discussion on Guy with .357 assists responding officer within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice work by the ol' Texan. For everyone that doubts how it effects you, watch all the way to the end of the video where ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Guy with .357 assists responding officer

Nice work by the ol' Texan. For everyone that doubts how it effects you, watch all the way to the end of the video where he clearly is struggling with killing a man. "Now I just gotta live with it." And this is guy that clearly needed to be shot, not an iffy "this is probably justified" scenario or a collateral damage kinda deal.
    Crashoften and BugDude like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

"I'm fixin' to put one in him" Good job!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

If I lived by that guy I'd buy him a steak dinner,too many times in similar circumstances people are either unable or unwilling to help an LEO in a life or death situation.Too bad the POS had killed other people before he was stopped
    64zebra likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A hero does what he has to do... that's the difference between a hero and a non-hero in situations like this, in my opinion.

Seems like a real down to earth guy, I hope the best for this man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Nice work by the ol' Texan. For everyone that doubts how it effects you, watch all the way to the end of the video where he clearly is struggling with killing a man. "Now I just gotta live with it." And this is guy that clearly needed to be shot, not an iffy "this is probably justified" scenario or a collateral damage kinda deal.
    I hope he comes to understand that he saved this officers life and that he will be at peace with what he was compelled to do. Sounds like just a regular guy put in an extraordinary situation and acted heroically.

I don't think I could even SEE a target at 165 yards...
    BugDude and First Sgt like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I don't think I could even SEE a target at 165 yards...
    I see great at that distance, but everything on my desk is fuzzy. My close-quarters combat mindset is to "shoot the fuzzy thing".
    OD* and BugDude like this.

sgb
    Kudos to Mr. Stacy
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    This brings up a very good question for me to ask. Does the LEO's want citizens to become involved in a gun fight if it will help the situation?
    as a LEO I can answer that.....in a situation like in this story....absolutely YES
    if there are 3 of us on perimeter of a house looking for a dirtbag....no
    it all depends on the situation, but if needed I would absolutely be appreciative of help

Quote Originally Posted by mprp
    Oh good question. But the answer is going to be no. Come on now, think about why it's "no."
    ??????????
    re-read my reply from a LEO standpoint as well as Sigmanluke's
    sigmanluke likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
    see my post #17...I think Mr. Stacy just misspoke...think he meant to say 165ft after seeing pictures and video of the RV park
    He also said he hit the guy with the first shot. He didn't. I am not sure to believe that he hit him 5 times in a row as claimed.
    ok, this is what was being reported on several outlets....do you have information from somewhere on which to base your reply here? I haven't seen any but I'm not saying they're not out there somewhere

on shooting investigations they bring out equipment and measure everything at the scene
    And "they" aren't vouching yet on the distance or the impacts.
    well of course not, "they" are still doing a homicide investigation, what was in this story is based on what was being reported, and nothing to the contrary has been reported that I've seen or heard of, if you have please share

This brings up a very good question for me to ask. Does the LEO's want citizens to become involved in a gun fight if it will help the situation?
    No, they prefer to be trapped in a kill box with limited cover and little hope of surviving as was the case with the first officer that Stacy thought was going to get killed and that the Sheriff says whose life was most likely saved.
    I'm not sure this answer was necessary in this thread, lizjimbo was asking a legitimate question for discussion that didn't deserve this

Authorities Release Information Regarding Deadly Peach House RV Park Shooting - Video
    the Sheriff is vouching that Mr. Stacy shot the guy in the leg
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Feet or yards he got the job done. I remember many moons ago Guns and Ammo had a piece on semi custom S&W with a patridge front sight. It had a gold bead at the top and one about half way down. I don't recall what the zeros were but I do remember the lower one was what most would consider "rifle" range.

When sitting at a bench on a "one way" range hitting a man sized target with a pistol at 100 yards is really not that big a deal. With the amount of open land in West Texas where one could shoot, and the right companions I would not be surprised if this guy has made shots over 100 yards dozens of times.

165 feet? Probably. From the pictures I have seen I would bet that is more likely it. 165 yards? I would not say it is outside the realm of possibility.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Anyone got a good way to show what a standard ramp and notch sight looks like superimposed on a human-sized target at 165yds?
    Yeah, point at a safe wall and look down the sights. That's pretty much it unless you have a scope. I just last week shot my 1911 at 100yds, and couldn't see much of anything other than my sights. Kept both eyes open so I could make sure I was lined up, then added roughly 2' elevation- that got two shots on paper out of 8. The others were in the dirt where the crotch/legs/feet would be.

Once I'm more recovered from my surgery, I'll be practicing more out at that range so I can get proficient enough to land more than 25% on paper at that distance. (My hands still shake a little after a little while; especially in this SC heat.)
    64zebra likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    as a LEO I can answer that.....in a situation like in this story....absolutely YES
    if there are 3 of us on perimeter of a house looking for a dirtbag....no
    it all depends on the situation, but if needed I would absolutely be appreciative of help

??????????
    re-read my reply from a LEO standpoint as well as Sigmanluke's
    I guess overall, my best answer to explain myself in a word would be liability. I think Sigmanluke's answer says it best when he explains that it probably shouldn't be done without being asked to. That is a decision based on the LEO's view of the situation, therefore a bit different than one acting alone like this gentleman did in this case. But I think that in general, LE putting out a word that when there's a shootout, it's a good idea to get involved if the citizen believes he can help the situation, is just a bad idea. Not to say that sometimes it's not helpful or in any form take away what this good citizen did.

In my post, (#66) I said that "we all know what will happen" because I do believe that most of us would no doubt offer to help with whatever means that we had if the situation was bad enough and judging our own capabilities individually. I would expect that if it happened, it happened, however, I wouldn't expect the answer to be "yes" for that broad of a question. I am not an LEO but I have found that in working with the public, our actions and instructions have to be planned to address the dumbest person in the world or you can be in hot water. That's just the way it is. I hope I explained it well enough. Does that make sense?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Yeah, point at a safe wall and look down the sights. That's pretty much it unless you have a scope. I just last week shot my 1911 at 100yds, and couldn't see much of anything other than my sights. Kept both eyes open so I could make sure I was lined up, then added roughly 2' elevation- that got two shots on paper out of 8. The others were in the dirt where the crotch/legs/feet would be.

Once I'm more recovered from my surgery, I'll be practicing more out at that range so I can get proficient enough to land more than 25% on paper at that distance. (My hands still shake a little after a little while; especially in this SC heat.)
    Try another way of aiming, you don't cover your target with the sights. In your sight picture you place your target on top of your front sight, just like a 6:00 hold, then you lower your rear sight, your target will aways be in-view if you're aiming correctly.

Some use half the target, personally I don't care for that method.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Try another way of aiming, you don't cover your target with the sights. In your sight picture you place your target on top of your front sight, just like a 6:00 hold, then you lower your rear sight, your target will aways be in-view if you're aiming correctly.

Some use half the target, personally I don't care for that method.
    My rear sight is an all black Wilson Combat, and my front has a white dot on it and nothing else- and dead on at 14yds using the 'normal' sight picture. But, NH-Esau asked about what a sight picture would look like at 165yds... At 100yds, I couldn't see the silhouette past my front sight, nonetheless at anything further.

But, I think we determined that it was 165 feet. Which is MUCH different. That's only a little further than 50yds, and not nearly as big a deal.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links