Guy with .357 assists responding officer - Page 7

Guy with .357 assists responding officer

This is a discussion on Guy with .357 assists responding officer within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite Wow..now that's good shooting. All the more reason to have a rifle on standby in case you need to make a ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Guy with .357 assists responding officer

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Wow..now that's good shooting. All the more reason to have a rifle on standby in case you need to make a long distance shot.
    My thoughts as well. In the wake of recent events I am thinking of open carrying a rifle or other long arm. I think it would be nice to know that I am able to reach out and touch somebody if I need to. I just figure it will be a pain to take it into various places and sit down comfortabley such as at a movie theater or restaurant. Perhaps I should carry it on a sling of some sort.

Good thing this CCWer was there to help.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    When things go bad, they can go bad fast. There may very well NOT be enough time or opportunity to get a clear "authorization" to render assistance. In fact, a cop under fire may not even realize you're there or that you're at all capable of rendering any kind of assistance, let alone extra firepower. As a citizen, you may have to make an immediate decision on whether or not you will help--and how you will do it--and this is where mental preparation and forethought come into play. There aren't any one-size-fits-all solutions for a situation like that and it's probably dangerous to look for one.

As for the good Texan's marksmanship, I have no trouble believing the distance was 165 yards. I was at the range a while back and the guy next to me was consistently pinging the 200m plate (about 12" in diameter) with a 44mag revolver. Some people get frazzled by stress, and some get focused by it.
    sigmanluke and 64zebra like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    I've been thinking about searching the potential shooting distance in that RV park(165 yds vs 165 feet) on Google maps, it looks like someone has done that on another forum, see excerpt below:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=7120+...xas+76802&z=19

And how far do you guess it was?

Using Goole Earth's measuring tool it gave the distance from the entrance to the far end of the trailer park as 126 yds and from one side to the other as 76 yds.

Not knowing the actual address and positions of the people doing the shooting, I'd be inclined to say the shot was LOT closer to 165 feet than 165 yds.

Regardless, it was some good shooting by the Mr. Stacy.
    accessbob likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I guess overall, my best answer to explain myself in a word would be liability. I think Sigmanluke's answer says it best when he explains that it probably shouldn't be done without being asked to. That is a decision based on the LEO's view of the situation, therefore a bit different than one acting alone like this gentleman did in this case. But I think that in general, LE putting out a word that when there's a shootout, it's a good idea to get involved if the citizen believes he can help the situation, is just a bad idea. Not to say that sometimes it's not helpful or in any form take away what this good citizen did.

In my post, (#66) I said that "we all know what will happen" because I do believe that most of us would no doubt offer to help with whatever means that we had if the situation was bad enough and judging our own capabilities individually. I would expect that if it happened, it happened, however, I wouldn't expect the answer to be "yes" for that broad of a question. I am not an LEO but I have found that in working with the public, our actions and instructions have to be planned to address the dumbest person in the world or you can be in hot water. That's just the way it is. I hope I explained it well enough. Does that make sense?
    yep, explained well, thanks

I think its fairly safe to say that if I was involved in a shootout, and I see another guy in plain clothes shooting at the turd thats shooting at me I will know he is not a threat to me and will be grateful for the help;
    gun owners/CCWers know what to do if its an obvious situation such as this rv park when there wasn't time for the officer to ask Mr. Stacy/give permission to help
    I think we're saying the same thing just taking a different route to get there
    cheers
    sigmanluke likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yep, explained well, thanks

I think its fairly safe to say that if I was involved in a shootout, and I see another guy in plain clothes shooting at the turd thats shooting at me I will know he is not a threat to me and will be grateful for the help;
    gun owners/CCWers know what to do if its an obvious situation such as this rv park when there wasn't time for the officer to ask Mr. Stacy/give permission to help
    I think we're saying the same thing just taking a different route to get there
    cheers
    Yes sir. But if that ever happens, you better be on my side in court too or you're going to get the dirtiest look you've ever seen.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Yes sir. But if that ever happens, you better be on my side in court too or you're going to get the dirtiest look you've ever seen.
    You'd stop with dirty looks? You're a better man than me!

If the situation permits, at least make yourself known to the officer(s) involved, (as a safety precaution for yourself). If the situation does not permit that, do what needs to be done.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member

Just Lending A Hand.......

In response to many of the posts I saw with regards to some of the recent shootings like Aurora CO. I figured I would pose a few questions based off a scenario and you can see what you would do. I heard so many responses on the Aurora CO thread that were all across the board. Responses like my own in which I would try to make a difference if I could, to responses of I would run for the other exits or just secure my family and get low under the seats. Other comments I saw were things like "you are not a trained operative and so you have no business taking a shot at the bad guy." Other posters were so caught up in reasons not to help like legal ramifications, the guy was made of kevlar, had agent orange, that made it almost seem like people kept trying to find reasons not to do something.

*Note I took some liberties of the type of comments I saw on the Aurora thread, they are not verbatim. Lets say that there are many opinions and what if's pertaining to that mass murder and it has nothing to do with my scenario below. I am only going with a thought process here.

Here is the scenario

Lets say before we start that there are not a ton of details. Questions like how hard was the wind blowing and what sign was the bad guy born under are not available.

1. Bad guy taking shots at responding officer behind a tree
    2. Officer is armed with AR15 but is missing every shot as the bad guy is behind the tree using it for cover
    3. Senior aged man see's what is happening from about 165 yards away. He is armed with a magnum revolver and is facing to the side of the bad guy behind the tree.
    4. Bad guy does not see the Senior from his vantage point

What would you do?

Here is what Vic Stacy did..... I apologize if some may have seen this before....

More details from news clip...

“I’m just a citizen trying to help an officer out. That’s what I was tryin’ to do.” That’s what Vic Stacy had to say while deflecting attempts to call him a hero. Stacy came to the aid of Sgt. Steven Means of the Early, TX PD who came under fire from Charles Conner. According to ktxs.com, Conner had already murdered two neighbors and their dogs before opening fire on the officer as he arrived on the scene. When Stacy saw Sgt. Means couldn’t get a good shot at Conner, he feared the cop would be the third (well, fifth) victim of the afternoon. So Stacy opened up with his own gun, hitting him in the thigh and knocking him down. Conner’s now in a morgue somewhere after Means and Stacy ventilated him sufficiently to end the threat. We know at least one cop who’s glad firearms aren’t restricted to police and the military.
    niks and BugDude like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

GH
    Good job Mr. Stacy!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    165 yards is a long shot. I'm betting he's done some long range shooting with that gun. It's also possible that he has over estimated the range. Either way, good job!

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That tops being "a good witness."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    as a LEO I can answer that.....in a situation like in this story....absolutely YES
    if there are 3 of us on perimeter of a house looking for a dirtbag....no
    it all depends on the situation, but if needed I would absolutely be appreciative of help
    As a former LEO I agree wholeheartedly. He made a great shot and allowed an officer to go home safe.

Administrator
    Mighty good shooting on his part.
    He and his firearm both did their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    165 yards is a long shot. I'm betting he's done some long range shooting with that gun. It's also possible that he has over estimated the range. Either way, good job!
    Even if it was 165 feet, that's still pretty darn good given the circumstances.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It just goes to show:

This is a crazy world;
    There are crazy people in this crazy world,
    Things can go south fast;
    Tragedy can strike in the blink of an eye;
    Good guys still live;
    Good LEO's still exist;
    Bad people still do violence;
    Never turn your back on a threat;
    Clean up after your dogs;
    Pointy sticks don't go 165 feet;
    There is a reason to train and shoot a lot;
    Dogs should be on lead, fenced in or kept out of adjoining properties;
    Life is fragile;
    Probably a bunch more I've missed; and

You just can't make this stuff up.

This is so tragic on so many levels. We should remember the lessons.
    You missed one:

- An old guy with a revolver can still get it done!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links