Guy with .357 assists responding officer - Page 8

Guy with .357 assists responding officer

This is a discussion on Guy with .357 assists responding officer within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the scenario given, I'd have to do something to help the officer. First thing would be on 911 to insure someone was aware officer ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Guy with .357 assists responding officer

With the scenario given, I'd have to do something to help the officer. First thing would be on 911 to insure someone was aware officer needed assistance. 165 yards..whew...that is a heckuva attempt/shot with a handgun, much less to hit him 4 times. Since my EDC is a G19, not sure as to the effect I might have, even if I was able to put a round or more in the BG, but, knowing my mag capacity, and knowing I have two additional mags available, I think I could have certainly been a distraction until more help could arrive. If nothing else, it possibly would have given the officer more time to site in with his AR15 in an effort to hit the BG or pin him down till back up arrived. Bottom line...given the scenario...ASSIST THE OFFICER. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Lead Moderator
    Merged threads , same topic/event and discussion.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

First, I can believe 165 yrds.... as we shoot the 200 yrd range with .357 revolvers all of the time. Now, would I hit dead center... no.... but I'll hit a 12" plate with a 6" brrl S&W with iron sites. All in adjusting for 'drop', which he probably didn't do and why he hit him in the leg.

Second, most officers I know ... all feel the same way, if they are in trouble (which this officer was) they hope there are CC people around that are willing to help ... in particular , if they are the only officer around and outgunned or in trouble.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Long range handgun shooting is the venue at many clubs shooting IHMSA matches. Steel turkey silhouettes are the targets at 150 meters and rams at 200. (Pigs at 100 and chickens at 50)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    First, I can believe 165 yrds.... as we shoot the 200 yrd range with .357 revolvers all of the time. Now, would I hit dead center... no.... but I'll hit a 12" plate with a 6" brrl S&W with iron sites. All in adjusting for 'drop', which he probably didn't do and why he hit him in the leg.

Second, most officers I know ... all feel the same way, if they are in trouble (which this officer was) they hope there are CC people around that are willing to help ... in particular , if they are the only officer around and outgunned or in trouble.
    .357mag is one of my favorite long shooters. We routinely nail coffee cans left and right at over one hundred yards with a Colt Python and S&W 686.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I believe the distance; I've watched countless hours of hickock45 videos on youtube of him consistently hitting his "gong" at 100 yards; with all types of pistols. God bless this man! He may very well be the reason that officer is still alive.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Regardless of distance and details. Good job.
    Although i really...really...REALLY want to think he got him from 165 yards
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

165 yards he must spend his time off shooting with Hickok45

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Just like a 1911 everyone should own a 357.In 1983 I paid $265 or there abouts for Ruger stainless Security Six.A calm guy keeping his head in a high stress enviroment is one guy I'd want covering my back.Just a thought maybe he was a hunter and had a scope?That would make a long shot easier but this guy
    doesn't come across.I constantly do 100 yard shots with my handguns at the range. Granted I'm not shooting a regular target but cardboard size man's chest.

I don't doubt the distance. I used to have a S&W .357 Mag built on an N-frame, and I could hit milk jugs consistently at 100 yards (measured, shooting range). Hitting a man sized target at twice that was doable. Good work on helping out a cop under fire and bringing down a real dirt bag.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I don't doubt the distance. I used to have a S&W .357 Mag built on an N-frame, and I could hit milk jugs consistently at 100 yards (measured, shooting range). Hitting a man sized target at twice that was doable. Good work on helping out a cop under fire and bringing down a real dirt bag.
    Now if the Mobile Home park was only that long (which it isn't). The maps show that it couldn't have possibly been that far.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I'd be interested to know the legalities of such a situation. Does the guy with the 357 have to worry about the cop viewing him as a threat now that there is another unknown shooter? I am still learning about the technicalities of aiding a police officer in a gunfight.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Sponsored Links