Daycare

This is a discussion on Daycare within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering how anyone would feel about carrying inside of a daycare. I also wanted to know if anyone would actually shoot or not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare

Daycare

I was wondering how anyone would feel about carrying inside of a daycare. I also wanted to know if anyone would actually shoot or not shoot in a daycare in the event that someone was either attempting to harm you or possibly abduct your child or another child, without the child actually being in possesion of the bad guy. Being fully aware that there are children behind every wall in the building, how would you handle the situation? Also knowing or not knowing whether he has a weapon?
    What you really need to look out for is... my one inch punch.

2. Remove Ads

You can't carry in a day care here in MN so I would be out of luck. If I don't see a weapon, gun or knife pointed at me the bum doesn't get out of the building with any child, mine or anyone elses. I'm not big but I would tackle him if I had to.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If I was convinced that he was likely to harm a child (and this would be a judgement call made at the scene) I am going to stop him.

This came up a while back with a "someone jumps in your car with a child in it and tries to flee" scenerio. If I get a good shot at him I take it. I'd rather it end right there. (I'll assess the risk of a miss or overpenetration VS the risk of not acting. and do the best I can.)

It's been a while but there was a famous case on America's Most Wanted or a similar type show. A bad guy on the run ran into a day care center. The woman running it (who lived there) backed into the bedroom with a child (may have been hers) and pulled her husband's handgun from the dresser.

Problem was, it was SA. She pulled the trigger. Nothing. (Hammer was down). Bad guy realized this and took gun and child. Car eventually overturned. BG and child were in standoff with police in overturned car. After a while a police sharpshooter took him out. - Quite a shot with the bad guy in close proximity to the child.

It was the right call though. Had the child moved suddenly etc... but I would still rather the attempt be made than leave a child with a known BD to do as he wants.

YMMV

The new training philosophy of LE, with regard to school/public venue shootings, is "agressive, proactive engagement". If it is "me and mine", I see no reason to act differently- charge them and shoot them to the ground. In truth, you lose no matter what you do, unless, miraculously, only the BG is injured.

I've read about gun laws and schools and I'm not sure if a daycare is or is not concidered a school. If they are, then are they concidered as "parochial or private schools" under the Gun Free School Zones Act?
    Last edited by AokUSA; September 20th, 2006 at 06:17 PM. Reason: wrote incomplete quote
    What you really need to look out for is... my one inch punch.

Ohio.
    Criminal protection zone.
    No carry allowed.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

In Kansas, you will be charged with a crime even if your the hero of the decade.

Lead Moderator
    Illegal to carry into a daycare in MI too. I would do all that was possible to keep a kidnapper from fleeing w/ child though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Illegal to carry into a daycare in MI too. I would do all that was possible to keep a kidnapper from fleeing w/ child though.
    Yep what he said.. and yet it seems that I keep seeing acts of violence involving day care, guns, kidnapping etc, must be the BG's don't know how to read. You think if we were to send them back to school it would make a difference?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Aim high?

Don't know if we can here, but I doubt I would carry anyway. Most crooks respect schools and day cares and would probably not seek to rob one of these. However, at night when it is empty they often break in and steal stuff.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Yep what he said.. and yet it seems that I keep seeing acts of violence involving day care, guns, kidnapping etc, must be the BG's don't know how to read. You think if we were to send them back to school it would make a difference?
    Really? I really don't recall any stories like that involving daycares, especially while kids are there.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though, but I would expect any cases to get major press.

it was a massacre at a gym class full of 5 year olds that directly led to the handgun ban in the UK, so I guess it happens.

Who can really answer this? Put a little twist on it. Would you want some of the 'less responsible' members of the carrying communuity engaging what he interprets as BG's in a daycare where YOUR kid was? I'm talking about the guys who think they are 'trained' from the one day CCW class, the ones that think they are quasi LEO's. They are few, but they are out there.

Mind you, those idiots probably carry legal or not.

I'm going around in circles here, so I am going to stop. Just throwing out some ideas.

One final note. Personally, I disarm in the parking lot, but I always wonder 'what if'. Even worked out a few back ways to get out of the daycare back to my vehicle if necessary.

By State Law the only places in New Hampshire illegal to carry a weapon is a courthouse, whether it might be district, county or state. The only authorized weapon carry in a courthouse is by the authorized court security. Whether you are law enforcement or a civilian, the court security will secure your weapon for you at the door coming in and give you a receipt. You can retrieve on the way out.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Daycares are off-limits here in NC as well, so mine get secured in the vehicle prior to entering with my children.

As for the bad guy taking a kid thing, if I am there, the only thing the BG has to worry about is me getting my hands on him. When it comes to my kids I strongly recommend not messing with them. Otherwise you will have to deal with the part Rottweiller, part Rattlesnake that is me. I would do everything in my power to tear a man apart for messing with my kids.

Administrator
    A lot would depend on the shooters skill level and an ability to take a deadly first shot.

In my book shooting an innocent child and shooting an innocent adult are equally as terrible.
    It is no worse accidentally shooting an innocent kid than an innocent senior citizen.
    Neither deserves a premature grave.
    A human life is a human life. One life is not more valuable than another...all are precious.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links