Supermarket Confrontation

This is a discussion on Supermarket Confrontation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I was in a "Condition Orange" situation a while ago and I want to get some feedback from my friends here. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supermarket Confrontation

Hello everyone. I was in a "Condition Orange" situation a while ago and I want to get some feedback from my friends here.
    I was shopping at a supermarket here in Manchester NH a while ago. (Armed, of course.) As I approached the meat counter I saw that the lady who was stocking the shelves there was in an arguement with a woman. It wasn't a shouting match, and I don't know what this was about,

She was threatening the clerk, suggesting that they have it out right there on the floor. The clerk muttered something, and the woman said "You're lucky I didn't take your life."
    The woman's teenage son was standing there watching this,
    As for me, I quietly stepped around the corner of the next aisle, out of sight, but where I can still observe the situation. The two women parted ways without further incident.
    My question that I want to put out is how would the members here handle the situation if violence does break out? What if a weapon makes an appearance, or just fists and hands? I'm glad that it ended the way it did, but if it escalated, what would people with CCW do?

Be a good witness if you can. I wouldn't let someone kill another if possible but call 911 and be a good witness is your best option. The threat the woman made is serious that is why it is best to keep your mouth shut. You never know who is listening or what is beign caught on tape. You also don't know what stated this.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; September 21st, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I was taught that my CCW is to keep my long tall skinny carcass alive.
    In the scenario you describe, the above reply covers it well.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Well, I am just rehashing here, but...

Be a good witness, and call the police if it comes to blows. I wouldn't intervene if I could help it.

I would agree I would just be a good witness because too much can go wrong inside a store like that. However, good job just watching the situation though, but I can't see a reason even consider needing to fire my weapon.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Lead Moderator
    yep, good advice. You don't know what exactly the argument is about , nor are you a LEO.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Be a good witness if you can. I wouldn't let someone kill another if possible but call 911 and be a good witness is your best option. The treat the woman made is serious that is why it is best to keep your mouth shut. You never know who is listening or what is beign caught on tape. You also don't know what stated this.
    +1

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Suppose you stand right there at the periphery of the confrontation (5 feet away). Let them know there is a witness. Call 911 if warranted. Will your presence inflame or calm the aggressor?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Real good advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Be a good witness if you can. I wouldn't let someone kill another if possible but call 911 and be a good witness is your best option. The treat the woman made is serious that is why it is best to keep your mouth shut. You never know who is listening or what is beign caught on tape. You also don't know what stated this.
    After all it could have been a cat fight over some guy, not a situation to be next to. Police really do not like being called in to separate two individuals as they will likely turn on the first person that tries to stop them.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Yeah, I guess the best thing to do would be to just stay out of the way. It had nothing to do with me, so I should just watch, take notes, and let store security handle it if anything happens.

Make Mental Notes...

while taking steps backwards into an isle...report to the front counter..."Problem in the dairy isle!"...report your mental notes...
    The trouble maker, and you really don't know the whole story, has to exit by the front door where you will be while the manager is calling the cops...or for a pizza (Domino's will get there quicker!).
    Mind your own business...you're not a cop!
    OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Unless a life is in immediate danger, be a good witness and call 911. O

You really didn't hear much of the conversation so you have no cause to react other than a witness. The phrase, "You're lucky I didn't take your life" could be from a traffic incident outside the store when the clerk walked right in front of the customer's car, and didn't say, "sorry, didn't see you". The customer comes in letting the clerk know she is blind and she also is, "lucky I didn't take your life".

Condition orange? More like soft yellow.

Call 911. If you present a weapon during someone else's argument, you may be another CCWer's target because THEY think they are "doing the right thing". Your intentions and knowledge of a situation don't get coordinated like the police when other officers arrive at the scene of an incident.

Bottom line is, if you're thinking of being a hero, be prepared to be shot by someone else thinking they are being a hero.

The truth? (and, I know this is wrong, but I know myself too long) I would probably intervene by asking the sales clerk for assistance.

The best thing, in that situation, is to just go up to the front and pay for my groceries (and tell my wife the story when I get home) I had no dogs in that fight and it had NOTHING to do with me and mine. Leave the place and stay out of trouble. THAT WOULD BE THE SMART MOVE

But, we know that we don't always do the SMART thing. LOL

I would (knowing myself) probably walk up to the sales clerk and engage her in conversation. Ask for something that relates to "her department" and try to de-escalate this open argument. "Er, excuse me Miss, do you have any of that new product that I saw in a commercial?" ... and, have her walk me to where she thinks that they stock it. (I am a big guy, a vanilla gorilla, and I seriously doubt that either of these "ladies" would argue with my request)

So, unless the aggressor lady is "gonna wait outside until after school lets out", the situation would probably be over right then and there. Plus, I would get that new product offered on TV. LOL

I hate violence and I can't stand people being mean to one another.

I think it would depend on if physical harm was being done and if a weapon was involved.

I had this situation happen to me and I just waited it out and nothing happened. There were no weapons involved.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links