Attacked in fast food drive through

This is a discussion on Attacked in fast food drive through within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen this happen to a guy before. Unfortunately, WI was a non-issue state then, so a buddy and I had to run the quarter ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Attacked in fast food drive through

I've seen this happen to a guy before. Unfortunately, WI was a non-issue state then, so a buddy and I had to run the quarter mile to the Hardees drive thru and pin the guy down.

If you'd consider carrying a knife, a Ka-bar would be a good choice because you can use the hilt to smash the skull. I was Army, but I'm a firm believer in Ka-bars. Soooo many practical uses.

I haven't read many of the previous posts, but there's three things that I can think of off the top of my head. First, NEVER ever ever turn your back to the hostile in a situation like that. Second, keep him in sight while you have somebody call 911, if there's anybody available. Keep a cellphone on you at all times. And last, when he didn't respond to the pistol in his face, I would have smashed him in the eye socket with it and let him know I was going to pull the f-n trigger. The old fashioned "stop or I'll shoot" would be better than nothing.

The best thing you did was to tell him you didn't want to fight him. Glad to hear it worked out as well for you as it did. It's a good thing your friend was there, otherwise it sounds like you would have had to shoot him and the cop was none too friendly with your permit it seems.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Barstool Some of us cannot take a beating because of health issues and age. That is why we carry. We don't want to be beat to death or crippled.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

What does this mean?
    "As I was taking the slack out of my trigger I saw the springfield xd 40 cal fly by my head from the passenger seat"

Did you have an armed passenger?

And update us on the outcome..
    tricolordad likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

"Still, nobody has to suffer through a beating. It's just that it can become difficult to get everyone to see that a "mere beating" rose to the level of credible threat to life."

(( Kirsten McIntyre, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Police have arrested three people after an off-duty Oklahoma City police officer was critically injured while helping break up a fight Tuesday night at a northwest Oklahoma City bar.

The incident happened at Dan O'Briens on Memorial Road. According to police, four men became involved in a fight. Officer Chad Peery, who was at the bar with his dad, was approached by employees who knew he was a police officer and asked him to help break up the fight. When Peery stepped in, three of the men assaulted Peery. When officers arrived, they found Peery unconscious.

"It was clear that the individuals knew that he was an Oklahoma City Police officer, were told he was a police officer and were making comments about it prior to the assault," said Oklahoma City Police Capt. Patrick Stewart.

Peery suffered a severe spinal cord injury and was in surgery overnight.

Peery was listed in critical condition Wednesday afternoon but has been able to speak to investigators.

Police arrested Joshua Bernard Rinken, Jimmy Dan Smith and Cadmio Antonio Lopez on complaints of maiming the off-duty officer. One other allegedly involved in the altercation has not been arrested.

"A maiming charge is generally used when there is some type of either permanent disfigurement or loss of, by state statute it will talk about, the loss of a member or of an organ or of a function of a body part. So at this point that's the charge that they've placed on both of these individuals. Obviously, before charges are presented, accepted thorough the District Attorney's office, that could change on what the appropriate or applicable charge will be," Stewart said.

Peery is a 3-year Oklahoma City Police veteran and is the father of four children.

"I did a lot of praying. 'Oh God' were the first words out of my mouth. It's every mother's worst fear to hear their child is hurt," said the officer's mother Jan Peery.

Jan Peery said her son is in a lot of pain and he's sleeping quite a bit.

"Right now we're just trying to focus on him, allowing his body to heal," she said.

The family has established a trust fund in Officer Chad Peery's name at the Municipal Employees Credit Union. ))

This incident happened a couple of years ago, the officer is paralized, the 3 BG's were convicted. They had been drinking, you don't know what a drunk can or will do. It's not the same situation you were in, but the point is a drunk is unpredictable. I would have been tempted to take all the slack out of my trigger at the drive thru, he was in your space, choking you. After reading the comments, I'll look into alternatives for less lethal defense. Another lesson here is when is it good to use your light and when not to, it's always after the fact that maybe you could have handled this different, but time was not on your side, being prepared was.

What about the bystanders he was waiving over for back up? Assist? Pull him away? See your guns and back off?
    ep1953 likes this.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Maglight to the nose..
    tricolordad likes this.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Barstool Some of us cannot take a beating because of health issues and age. That is why we carry. We don't want to be beat to death or crippled.
    Add to that, there are a surprising number of people killed by one punch. Gyms in prison can do that.
    ep1953 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    ... The people at the what a burger new him and id'd him. He currently is on deferred adjudication in another county for 3rd degree felony auto theft/ins fraud. Has been convicted of theft and then another for burglary of a habitation. He is also currently indicted for 8 felonies from the feds...
    With his history, anyone else wonder what this clown is still doing on the streets?
    ep1953 and Buckj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonosam View Post
    I am perfectly fine with carrying OC spray, but that is because I have been sprayed with it and know what it feels like and how to push through it. My wife wants to carry it, but with her not knowing what the backlash of getting it in her own face may be, I am hesitant. I don't wish that "just sprayed" feeling on anyone undeserving and my wife has a temper problem...
    Experience is the best teacher. If she wishes to use it...she should take a dose of it first. It will not only show her what it will do to the BG, but will also let her know what it is like if she gets some. Many professionals who use it are trained first by being exposed to it. I did it. It showed me just how much it can effect the BG and let me know what it would be like if I got some spray back. No surprises. A person needs to train with the spray like you do with any other defensive weapon.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Am I the only one that sees something not right with this? The drunk runs up to the driver and not the passenger and starts to assault him. It could be just coincident or there was more said then we were told.
    Texas law says : did not provoke the person against whom the force was used.
    so here is the same question the cops, the DA and the jury are going to ask... what was said when the two were at the boat that made this guy want to get out of his car/truck and want to fight?
    where they aggressive because they had guns and they knew it?

As far as taking a punch and getting assaulted there is a half a dozen cases in Texas were someone got into a traffic tiff and it ended in a shooting but every one of them resulted in an arrest and a trial... no free rides. So what you have to tell yourself what is going to heal faster a punch in the face or losing 20 grand because you shot someone; Bruised egos heal.
    Don’t get into a fight if you can’t handle the end result and if it does happen sounds like he had a little time to grab some PS instead of the gun; it might be a better choice

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gee, drunks, troublemakers, and idiots in a fast-food drive-thru . . . Whodda thunk?
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Am I the only one that sees something not right with this? The drunk runs up to the driver and not the passenger and starts to assault him. It could be just coincident or there was more said then we were told.
    [/B]so here is the same question the cops, the DA and the jury are going to ask... what was said when the two were at the boat that made this guy want to get out of his car/truck and want to fight?
    where they aggressive because they had guns and they knew it?

As far as taking a punch and getting assaulted there is a half a dozen cases in Texas were someone got into a traffic tiff and it ended in a shooting but every one of them resulted in an arrest and a trial... no free rides. So what you have to tell yourself what is going to heal faster a punch in the face or losing 20 grand because you shot someone; Bruised egos heal.
    Donít get into a fight if you canít handle the end result and if it does happen sounds like he had a little time to grab some PS instead of the gun; it might be a better choice
    I'm only going on the facts presented by the OP. If the OP escalated, or left some facts out that would cut against his version, then yes, who knows. But if I did not initially engage, and tried to de-escalate, was boxed in and in a disadvantaged position in my vehicle with a grip on my neck that may, in a matter of seconds, cause me to black out or worse, then I would be in fear for my life.
    First Sgt, BkCo1 and ep1953 like this.

I have a question. How did you get your CHL in the mail before you took the CHL class?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

"As I was taking the slack out of my trigger I saw the springfield xd 40 cal fly by my head from the passenger seat."

Was a shot fired? It appears so.
    If so, who fired the shot?
    Where did the bullet go if it was fired?

Wasn't this avoidable by simply rolling up your window?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

If you had enough time to draw why didn't you introduce him to that fine polymer butt end of the glock.

I am not sure I would recommend OC in this situation. As many have said get out of there ASAP. But if you spray him down at that range you will get some too, you will not be driving anywhere in the near future. As he said this person was not alone so now you have driven off the initial attacker and blinded yourself. His buddies come running over and now you are completely defenseless as you can't see to drive, shoot, or fight. Spray is a great option to have but it is not right in all situations.
    GoldwingElf and goldmaster like this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links