Attacked in fast food drive through - Page 6

Attacked in fast food drive through

This is a discussion on Attacked in fast food drive through within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya done good. That's all I need to say....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Attacked in fast food drive through

Distinguished Member
    Ya done good. That's all I need to say.

The cop was mistaken when he said you wouldn't have been justified. TVJ posted the relevent section in his second quoted paragraph.

Telling someone to take it easy or whatever isn't "provoking" them.

Based on his long list of offenses, he certainly needs to be off the street.
    glockman10mm and Buckj like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

As we say around here, "He needed shooting"! You showed remarkable self restraint by not shooting. You and your passenger done good!

As for the folks saying you may have provoked him just let me say that it don't take much to provoke a mean drunk. As for myself, when I get drunk I'm a happy drunk. But back in the 80's I managed a chain electronics store. One night at closing one of the salesmen that worked for me in the store asked if I wanted to go have a drink. I said sure and we went to a local restaurant. The first two drinks things were fine with good conversation but after the third drink he got mean and wanted to fight. I paid the bill, excused myself and left. The next day at work he was apologetic. I didn't fire him but I never went out for a drink with him again either. My point is, mean drunks don't need a reason to be offended.

Welcome to the board!

I wonder what the tab is on zimmerman so far... he shot an unarmed man that was attacking him too. yea I know he wasn't in his car but shooting an unarmed man is a hard sell to a jury.
    Brad426 and Bad Bob like this.

^^^^^^
    This. It may have been justified, but shooting an unarmed person is a tough sell.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Glad you are alright!!! It takes most people about 7 seconds to pass out from a real good choke hold, and ones you are out you are defenseless. if he crushes your wind pipe, way less obviously. So I feel like it is for sure a life threatening situation. Personally I would have gotten out of the car as soon as I saw him coming(since your vehicle was blockes) i prefer to not be trapped when I'm in a fight. But in your situation I would have instantly knocked his hand of my throat and stuck him in the face, opened my door as hard as I could into him and got the upper hand while he was holding his broken nose. I have trained mma and boxing for years though and find my self balling up my fists rather than reaching for my gun when I feel threatened, idk why I feel like I havnt trained my brain otherwise yet and I'm still stuck with thinking I will have to just fight my way out of a threatening situation. But that's just me.

You did the right thing, glad you and your friend are ok. A scary experience that could have ended badly.

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    In Texas, you were legal to use deadly force. He entered your vehicle through the window and attacked you. Furthermore, he was choking you.

Right here:

When he turned white and backed away, you would be acting illegally to shoot him at that point. He retreated.

The fact that you said we want no fight and walked away showed further intent to avoid conflict.

The perp came back at you.

You could have filled him full of holes at point blank and been no billed.

You are right about the speed of things happening.

Im glad it worked out for you. I am somewhat amazed that you didnt shoot him.

I wonder what made you hold off in the moment? Will you will elaborate on that?

I cant tell you for sure why I didnt shoot him, alot of reasons I guess. Hell, I went out that night to put my buddy on some fish and have a good time not kill somebody. Ive been in a whole lot of fights in my younger days, I never felt like I was in fear for my life in this situation. I didnt feel like I had to shoot him. But at the same time somebody else maybe somewhere else you change the situation just a little, I very well could have felt that way and would have pulled that trigger immediately with no hesitation. Legal repercussions, even though I felt it was justified obviously the cops didnt, how would a jury have felt. I make good money, but dont have money to burn. Thats the best explanation I can give, I know its not a whole lot.
    Buckj likes this.

"I never felt like I was in fear for my life" means you were right not to shoot. You say that to a cop or lawyer and you're toast.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    ^^^^^^
    This. It may have been justified, but shooting an unarmed person is a tough sell.
    To you and Brad426, maybe where you live, but this was Texas and I got two words for ya... JOE HORN

And a helpful link for ya...

TENA

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    I cant tell you for sure why I didnt shoot him, alot of reasons I guess. Hell, I went out that night to put my buddy on some fish and have a good time not kill somebody. Ive been in a whole lot of fights in my younger days, I never felt like I was in fear for my life in this situation. I didnt feel like I had to shoot him. But at the same time somebody else maybe somewhere else you change the situation just a little, I very well could have felt that way and would have pulled that trigger immediately with no hesitation. Legal repercussions, even though I felt it was justified obviously the cops didnt, how would a jury have felt. I make good money, but dont have money to burn. Thats the best explanation I can give, I know its not a whole lot.
    one thing about this site is when you put something out it gets looked at hard and we all learn what to do and what not to do and what we can do different. I don't believe there is a single person that reads from here that has not changed the way they think. so what ever you do take everything with a grain of salt and an open mind. I have been on here I have rethough a lot of things and one is a can of pepper spray that is keep handy for times like what happen to you. spray him first then if you have to shoot it puts every one on your side that you tryed to end it with out using deadly force first
    RemMod597 and Brad426 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    To you and Brad426, maybe where you live, but this was Texas and I got two words for ya... JOE HORN

And a helpful link for ya...

TENA
    That's hurtful. It could keep you amused while you await your trial, I suppose.

And Joe Horn former New Orleans Saints wide receiver?
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]Smacked him and drive away, sounds great until you read the post above. I was boxed in. The suspect was about 6'4" 275lbs but 50 yrs old and drunk. As far as weapons retention. I myself am 6' 235 lbs 32 yrs old and train with COC grippers daily, and my glock is wrapped in skateboard grip tape. Ill fill you full of lead before you get my weapon.
    In your OP you didn't state you were boxed in, you said there was a car ahead of you ordering, which IMO may or may not cause you to be boxed in. I did mention I wasn't there so I can only go on the info you provided. I'm glad you are training and hope it all works in your favor. I'd say you were lucky that it de-escalated when it did, you may very well had been justified in shooting, but the legal processes to determine the death of an unarmed drunk could become burdensome and expensive. I'd say y'all were all fortunate.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I suggest some good self defense training. Someone grabs you, is physically stronger, start breaking fingers, believe me when I say, they will let go.

I am not saying this towards you, so do not take it the wrong way. I have seen to many people get in trouble for indecisiveness in physical confrontations. A healthy adult male is going to have a tough time demonstrating that they had to kill another healthy adult male that is unarmed. Sure, anybody can pull a gun at anytime, until they do they are unarmed. When its on its on, overwhelm them with violence of action.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I've read all the posts and haven't seen this mentioned very much. I think the OP and his passenger did a good job, but a big part of their problem was the fact that their truck was boxed in w/ no place to go. I find myself avoiding fast food drive thrus more often than I used to. Although I'm far from perfect, I've become more in tune w/ situational awareness, including traffic and driving. Had the OP been in a situation where he could drive away when he was attacked, the event wouldn't have become potentially deadly, as it did. OTOH, the car in front of him made this impossible. Towing a boat meant that he wouldn't be able to quickly back up to create enough distance to clear the car in front of him. In addition, some drive thrus are built so that you can't drive around a car blocking you in front. The best thing that could have been done to most likely avoid this situation entirely would've been to park the truck/boat in the parking lot and place the order inside the restaurant, assuming the inside of the restaurant was still open. OP, thanks for sharing this w/ us. This serves as a good reminder for me to avoid drive thrus as much as possible.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links