Attacked in fast food drive through

This is a discussion on Attacked in fast food drive through within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that, but being in a hairy situation like that its fluid. As said earlier you change one or two small details and that ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Attacked in fast food drive through

I realize that, but being in a hairy situation like that its fluid. As said earlier you change one or two small details and that comfort level can change alot and I very well could have been in fear for my life. Probably the biggest thing I have taken away from this is to buy a bunch of self defense type sprays either the oc or combo. Keep em in my car and truck and one on my person. Maybe the foam or gel in the vehicles. Sorry If I didnt make myself clear on tne boxed in part, I thought I had cleared it up a few posts later. Thanks for all the comments and different point of views, I appreciate it. Hope maybe someone else learned something too. I am going to read through all the other incidents posted in this area also to see if there are some things I can take away from other peoples stories.
    barstoolguru likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Great point. I was very tired from fishing all night, this happened at 3am. I had no idea that the inside was open, but later found out it was.

I'd have had to see if I could fold up my left side mirror on the building!
    BugDude likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, here's a question, suppose you do hit this guy in the face, throat, ear box, what ever, assuming your even able to get a good punch delivered. The car in front and behind you still have you boxed in. If he keeps coming at you or manages to open your door and drag you out, is the fact that you used hand to hand on this guy at the start of the fight going to mean your now a mutual combatant, and your right to use your gun no longer is protected by law?
    There is nothing mutual about this fight. If you land a good hit to the THROAT. My guess is, he will not want to play with you anymore. If all you have is your gun, and nothing else in your tool box, you are limiting yourself and your self defense.....

When I got a new car, then salesman showed me thenautomatic window where you press it once and if an object blocks the window it automatically comes down. He then said if you hold the button and someone has their arm in there it's going to do some damage.

And Joe Horn former New Orleans Saints wide receiver?[/

Joe Horn shooting controversy.... there was an under cover cop watch the shooting go down for one and it cost him a lot of money and for what; HIS neighbor's stuff. his neighbor sure didn't help pay for his defence

Joe Horn, 61, spotted two burglars breaking into his next-door neighbor's home in Pasadena, Texas. He called 9-1-1 to summon police to the scene. While on the phone with emergency dispatch, Horn stated that he had the right to use deadly force to defend property, referring to a law (Texas Penal Code 9.41, 9.42, and 9.43) which justified the use of deadly force to protect Horn's home. Horn exited his home with his shotgun, while the 9-1-1 operator tried to dissuade him from that action. On the 9-1-1 tape, he is heard confronting the suspects, saying, "Move, and you're dead",[3] immediately followed by the sound of a shotgun blast, followed by two more.[4] Following the shootings Mr. Horn told the 9-1-1 operator, "They came in the front yard with me, man, I had no choice!"

Joe Horn shooting controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    This real-life situation reinforces a couple of points for me:

(1) Just how quickly and unexpectedly things can go SOUTH in the blink of an eye. Think about it, how many of us have done something as inoccuous as going thru a drive-thru while out with friends and just simply enjoying life?? And suddenly, some stupid mean drunk who has multiple felony raps, or some intentional predator looking for a quick mark interjects themselves into our lives. This simply but powerfully reinforces the old, but very true axiom "Any time, Any where."

(2) Having less-than-lethal options avaiable is needful......

(3) Disparity of force--the real-life mean drunk career felon in this situation is a BIG guy---me, I'm a little guy (and while not "elderly" yet, the reality of being eligible for Social Security is looming large on the horizon and coming nearer at an alarming pace)--this guy has almost a foot on me, and outweighs me by quite a bit---and by my career choice, I've been a rather peaceful guy most of my life and have not been in many fights; I don't think that I would have had trouble convincing folks that I was scared spitless and in fear of my life if this huge, mean and angry guy grabbed me by the throat---even if I had pepper spray available, I think that realistically, given the violence and meanness of this man, I would probably have shot him out of fear that he was likely going to kill me.......

I think that the OP did real good and showed commendable restraint.
    goldmaster likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Joe Horn's incident is nothing similar to what the OP posted. And does anyone really know what it cost Mr. Horn? I don't understand why it is even a topic of this thread.

If it is being used regarding whether someone has to be armed in order to shoot them in Texas, well simply read the statutes. They say nothing about someone having to have a weapon in order to use deadly force in certain instances.

b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
    I changed the order of the statute, but that is what is relavent to the OP's post.

Luckily it worked out for the OP without having to shoot the drunk. Luckily if the drunk didn't sober up quickly the OP and his passenger were ready.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I wonder what the tab is on zimmerman so far... he shot an unarmed man that was attacking him too. yea I know he wasn't in his car but shooting an unarmed man is a hard sell to a jury.
    True it's a hard sell to a jury but how hard a sell to his wife at his funeral if he had his head smashed in, or if he was rendered a vegetable and needed to be on life support for 10 or 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    There is nothing mutual about this fight. If you land a good hit to the THROAT. My guess is, he will not want to play with you anymore. If all you have is your gun, and nothing else in your tool box, you are limiting yourself and your self defense.....
    Oh, I agree a hit to the throat really takes the wind out of your sails, IF you can make the punch, in a car, in a seatbelt with his hands around your throat. If your left handed you can't use your left hand because his arms are above your hand, protecting his throat, but if they weren't the only punch I see working from the left side is a backhand/karate chop. If you try and use your right hand, it might not reach him since his arms are at arms length and attached to your throat. That puts his throat about a foot to far away from your shoulder since you can't turn to face him in the seatbelt assuming your arms are even the same length and your still going to have to punch between his arms.

True it's a hard sell to a jury but how hard a sell to his wife at his funeral if he had his head smashed in, or if he was rendered a vegetable and needed to be on life support for 10 or 20 years?
    What IF he got arrested and went to jail and had to be bailed out, what IF he had to get a lawyer and spend all the college money for his kids on a defense that might have be avoided with a simple can of pepper spray. What IF he lost his job because he has to spend so much time in court they fired him. What IF is a big word and covers a lot of ground so before pulling the trigger think about the IF's. a couple of punches in the face may not hurt as much as the sting after you pull the trigger

Oh, I agree a hit to the throat really takes the wind out of your sails, IF you can make the punch, in a car, in a seatbelt with his hands around your throat. If your left handed you can't use your left hand because his arms are above your hand, protecting his throat, but if they weren't the only punch I see working from the left side is a backhand/karate chop. If you try and use your right hand, it might not reach him since his arms are at arms length and attached to your throat. That puts his throat about a foot to far away from your shoulder since you can't turn to face him in the seatbelt assuming your arms are even the same length and your still going to have to punch between his arms.
    You are making a lot of assumptions here Ted. Im not sure what level of H2H training you have had. A front choke hold is not that hard to get out of. Once out of it, you can inflict a lot of damage to the aggressor. This is not a complicated situation, the OP might have been smokin a cig, drinking his diet coke, playing with his Iphone, None of that matters when a situation presents itself you do what is necessary to win, Period. The OP would benefit from some H2H training...

I really cant say I would have had the control the OP had in this instance. Had this happened with my family after being caught like that in the car and no place to go while being choked, when that weapon came up I would have vented his head. Go to jail? maybe. I will take my chances with a jury of my peers than take a chance this idiot to hurt me or worse. I see it this way: Im the provider for my family, Husband,Father. I cant afford to be caught in a corner and attacked. Here where I live in that case, the laws are in my court.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I agree with Burns assesment of the situation.Carrying OC. is an excellent choice.Even though it's a non lethal alternative it
    will show you dealt with theat with progressive force.If you look your event it looks like you pissed of a couple locals for what ever reason.To me ,it looks like a fist fight with a couple of locals looking to have a good time at your expense.Bring your fists
    to a fight is not a smart idea when your opponet brings OC spray:limited escalation.

I've been having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one. The whole LEO saying it wouldn't have been justified part. You were attacked, you have a bruise and a torn shirt plus a witness to confirm your account. The BG had his hands on your throat. People get killed by choking. How is that not justifiable? I think the OP showed tremendous restraint and I'm glad it worked out as it did, but how many times do you hear when you hesitate the BG has a chance of getting the weapon. There's another thread going in the news section about a woman shot with her own gun that someone got from her. Things can go from bad to worse so very quickly.
    Buckj likes this.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links