Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? - Page 2

Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

This is a discussion on Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its nice to think it will all happen that cleanly and frankly i hope it does. But real life probably won't give you a cookie ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

Its nice to think it will all happen that cleanly and frankly i hope it does. But real life probably won't give you a cookie cut scenario. Someone breaks into my home where my wife and seeds are sleeping and they signed their own death warrant. No second chances no mercy. Dead men tell no tales. When the cops ask what happened there should be one story: yours. As soon as some perp breaks in I'm fearing for my life. Felons don't like witnesses and thats all me and my family are.
    I ain't a killer but don't push me.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Check your state laws. You may want to include what state you are in so you get the best info.

NC actually. And to answer one of the earlier questions: I define intruder in this scenario as a potentially dangerous stranger who breaks in through your window or picks a locked door in the middle of the night and enters your home.

And the "....tell no tales" mindset some of you mentioned seems like an enormous gamble that could potentially lead to many years in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits. But to protect yourself and your loved ones, I guess that's the risk you take (if it is true that you don't have to warn an unlawful intruder that you're present with a firearm and instruct them to leave).

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    NC actually. And to answer one of the earlier questions: I define intruder in this scenario as a potentially dangerous stranger who breaks in through your window or picks a locked door in the middle of the night and enters your home.

And the "....tell no tales" mindset some of you mentioned seems like an enormous gamble that could potentially lead to many years in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits.
    Where I am from there is not duty to retreat. And I'm not gonna wait for some deadly struggle to begin before I float hot lead at an intruder. If you break into my house you gonna walk in and get carried out. Do you propose to simply injure the intruder so he can concoct some story to tell the police? Or when the police ask what happened you want to be the only person talking?
    If you live in a place where after someone breaks into your home and you use deadly force against them defending your loved ones you are worried about a law suit or prison you best move.
    I ain't a killer but don't push me.

VIP Member
    Of course it depends on local laws, I'm not required to retreat or announce. And my training leads me to turn the tables on the intruder and attack them. I'm not locking myself in my bedroom and hoping they leave, that's what my wife does while she calls the police. I quickly and quietly close and end the threat. I will not wait.
    21bubba likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

If your State has a Castle Law, I'd say there's no obligation to announce anything. They're in YOUR castle illegally and you have the right to defend it by whatever means necessary.

Check your State's statutes first.

It doesnt matter. The dead cannot talk, so who would know?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

In TX they break into my house,I announce I have a gun with bang bang bang bang bang and continue until the threat is stopped
    As far as any "LAWSUITS" In Tx if he Unlawfully entered your home and you killed or wounded him neither him or his family can sue you,my state doesn't reward criminals for felonious acts
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I said it before and I will say it again :what is the benifit of giving them a warning? to shoot you?

1st: Know your state laws and how they apply..

2nd: Never, ever, give a verbal warning to someone breaking into your home. You job is not to play fair. Your job is to keep this individual from killing you and your family...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Only time I'd be saying something if I wasn't sure of who the intruder was and it was the only way that I could be sure that it may be a threat. For example: one of the kids coming home really late or unexpectedly and making the risky mistake of not pounding on the door to wake me up first, etc..
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Along time ago - I think I was about 12 my father work me up about 3:30 a.m. and whispered quietly to me someone was trying to break in at the side door. He said - get the shotgun and stand in the hallway but point the shotgun straight up unless he gets me them point it straight at him click off the safety and pull the trigger. I'll be in the dining room next to the cupboard so don't shoot me. The "intruder" finally wiggles the lock to the unlock position and steps in to a completely dark house, and as he steps on the stairs to the kitchen my father says "come on right in - we've been expecting you. Step up to the kitchen and shuffle your feet to the dining room and sit down.If I don't hear those feet shuffling or you run - we are going to start shooting." The guy did as he was told and lived. My father was a WWII veteran and fought in France, Belgium and Germany so he was "expierenced" in these matters of self protection and sneaking up on the enemy. He was in the dining room alright - with a bayonet he brought back home and squatted down. We called the police - they came and got the intruder. Officer said "nice job - next time shoot them - unless your wife doesn't want the mess." They started talking and found themselves next to each other on June 6th. and 7th. 1944. My father was with the 1st. Infantry and the Officer was with the 29th. Infantry - they became friends until my father passed away. So, I guess in a way, my father did announce himself. I'm not saying this is the correct way to do it but it worked for him. I asked him later why he didn't just shoot him. He said " He didn't deserve to die - just because he's a lousy criminal and stupid to boot"
    HKinNY, mb1900 and shockwave like this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

NC has a Castle Doctrine, no duty to retreat, any force you feel necessary is fine - but look it up for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post

And the "....tell no tales" mindset some of you mentioned seems like an enormous gamble that could potentially lead to many years in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits. But to protect yourself and your loved ones, I guess that's the risk you take (if it is true that you don't have to warn an unlawful intruder that you're present with a firearm and instruct them to leave).
    This is why it's important to know the laws of your state on the use of deadly force. NC just had a major reform of their use of deadly force laws effective December 1, 2011. Prior to that date, once a person had entered your home uninvited you no longer could use deadly force UNLESS they posed an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm such as having a deadly weapon and attacking you. Otherwise, you were not legally allowed to use deadly force so if you woke up to the sounds in your kitchen and you found a person cleaning out your leftovers and drinking your beer you could use any force to remove the trespasser but NOT deadly force. Also you could face civil suits even if you were found to have justly used deadly force. Thankfully, the new laws changed that also.

With the new laws, you now can use deadly force to protect your home against anyone who illegally forcibly enters your home, work place or motor vehicle since the new law allows that
    The lawful occupant of a home, motor vehicle, or workplace is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily harm to another
    You need to read and understand the new laws. The main one is 14-51.2 and can be viewed at GS_14-51.2

Also there are a few more pertinent to this such as 14-51.3 and 14-51.4 Read these too.

There are some caveats to the brief quote I placed above so read the whole statute several times.

To answer your original question, there are no statutes in NC that require you to notify an intruder prior to the use of deadly force. That being said, as long as you have sufficient cover and it would not jeopardize your safety, announcing yourself and warning could save you both legal and mental problems in the long run. If you are left with no options other that to shoot then rest assured there is no law saying you have to warn when using deadly force as it pertains to this statute.

All of this should be covered in the NC CHP class if you take it after December 1, 2011 so if you don't have your CHP then you get a double bonus by taking the course.

Hope this helps.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Here in NY you must yell either.

OLLIE OLLIE OXEN FREE

OR

RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT ONE TWO THREE
    jdrake19 likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Kidding on the RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT ONE TWO THREE
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links