Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

This is a discussion on Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You need to protect yourself before, and after, the event. My first move would be to call 911, and then do what you have to ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

You need to protect yourself before, and after, the event. My first move would be to call 911, and then do what you have to in order to protect yourself. As far as announcing yourself - all depends.

2. Remove Ads

In Wisconsin no. The law states if someone enters your home they intend to do harm.
    There are those trying to change the law back to what it use to be. Under the old law you could not take any action in most cases.
    BG hold off a minute.
    1. I need to get my gun for the safe
    2. Let me call 911
    3. allow me to ask to to leave
    4. I have a gun I may use it.
    Some how the 4 step plan does not seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    In Wisconsin no. The law states if someone enters your home they intend to do harm.
    There are those trying to change the law back to what it use to be. Under the old law you could not take any action in most cases.
    BG hold off a minute.
    1. I need to get my gun for the safe
    2. Let me call 911
    3. allow me to ask to to leave
    4. I have a gun I may use it.
    Some how the 4 step plan does not seem to work.
    The four step plan doesn't work! I think it comes from the flawed thought process some/many Americans have that its the government's (local and national) responsibility to protect them. It's not! You call the law not to protect you but because its there responsibility to investigate crimes. If someone violates your home the home owner needs the discretion to protect his castle as they see fit including deadly force.
    It's gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing.

He'll get the message right off!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    However, if you are in Wisconsin, Castle Doctrine applies BUT this is Wisconsin, so you'll want to retreat and announce that you have a weapon. Unfortunately, that can give your position away. You can't just shoot here, you have to be in fear for your life, and the police, DA, judge and jury ALL have to believe it also. Remember to keep your finger off the trigger unless you're absolutely ready to shoot. Once you pull the trigger, there is no going back. There's no reset button. It changes you and the way you think feel and act FOREVER.
    That seems very restrictive. Do you have a cite to the relevant statute?

VIP Member
    NOPE

If I caught someone in the act of trying to pick a lock, break my door down I'd announce. However, if they were already in my home and somehow got past my 2 boxer/german shepherd mix dogs I'd shoot without saying a word, center mass (or as close as I could get to it). I'm not going to give someone the chance to shoot me or my family by me announcing I have a gun.
    DukeoftheD likes this.

VIP Member
    Click,Click,boom

In NC the BG is fair game. He is assumed to be there to inflict bodily harm.

I don't have to, but they'll figure it out.
    Brad426 and l1a1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I don't have to, but they'll figure it out.
    That's the best answer yet.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Just use subsonic loads.... problem solved.
    PEF likes this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

A couple of questions.

At what point is it appropriate to have to deal with the distraction (and it would be a distraction) of "saying the magic words" that announces that one is armed? Talk should be strictly limited when one is concentrating on a lawbreaker who has intruded into the home.

For that matter, does one really need the distraction of grabbing the phone, dialing 911, and communicating with another when all attention should be focused on the problem that a housebreaker has presented him?

I think not. Fore go talk to the miscreant and only dial 911 after a precautionary evaluation is made, understanding that an evaluation might entail a "triggered" response.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Prior to posting this I did use the search function but I would like some clarification.

Someone breaks into your home: do you have to announce/yell to the intruder that you are present in the house and that you have a firearm? Or can you simply find a corner or stand behind a closed door and remain silent in a defensive position?

I'm asking this from the scope of possible criminal charges and civil litigation, and not of tactical advantage/disadvantage.

I've heard both ways. Some say, including law enforcement and attorneys, that you must make your presence known to an intruder and make them aware that you're armed. Others say there's no requirement; this person broke into your home and that's the risk they took.

What do you think?
    Without having looked at other replies please tell me that your knowledge of home defense is greater than some of your comments on this thread. I am sure I am mimicing replies made but I can tell you without a hint of hesitation that if someone breaks into my home, they will not hear a word from me and they will die. Is that clear enough? Then again I live in SC, a state that understands what home defense and possessing a firearm is all about. Just the idea that is inferred in this thread gives me the shivers. Let me see. I am in my house at night and someone breaks in. I am now going to "announce" to this slimebucket that I am in the bedroom, I am armed, and I would like him to leave. I cannot even write this without wanting to slam my head into a wall.
    DukeoftheD and jerwin like this.

This has me thinking. The flash of gunfire isn't really a good way to announce I have a gun - too many things it could be mistaken for - a flashlight, camera, or party strobe for instance. You really need the bang with the flash to make the announcement unmistakable. Since buckshot is running around 1300fps, the lead gets to the BG before the bang. That's no fair.

Looked through the inventory, .45ACP is probably the only option I have to ensure that my actions are never in question.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links