Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? - Page 5

Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

This is a discussion on Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tricolordad No, but you also want to keep your own ass out of jail. No reason for a victim to unnecessarily turn ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    No, but you also want to keep your own ass out of jail. No reason for a victim to unnecessarily turn into a criminal because he/she didn't have knowlege of state law.
    I will worry about that after he's dead and me and my son are safe.
    21bubba likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

If your state requires you to issue a verbal warning before firing, then you did (whether you did or not). That's simple enough.

There are potentially 2 different scenarios we are looking at here:

1. Intruder outside, attempting to gain entry.
    2. Intruder inside.

In case 1, a warning may prevent entry, which is probably better.
    In case 2, a warning may prevent your having to shoot someone.

Most people would probably prefer to avoid having to deal with the aftermath of a shooting. So it depends on the situation and what the intruder is doing and where you are, etc. There's a continuum of possibilities that range from the need to immediately open fire without hesitation to having a chat with the person in question. Could just be a drunk or mentally ill person, for example.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    If your state requires you to issue a verbal warning before firing, then you did (whether you did or not). That's simple enough.

2. Intruder inside.

Most people would probably prefer to avoid having to deal with the aftermath of a shooting. So it depends on the situation and what the intruder is doing and where you are, etc. There's a continuum of possibilities that range from the need to immediately open fire without hesitation to having a chat with the person in question. Could just be a drunk or mentally ill person, for example.
    Drunks and specialy mentally ill people are still capable violence and prone to irrational thought and or actions.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

2. Intruder inside.

Maybe offer them some tea and a sandwich.

2. Intruder inside.

I agree to an extent, however, they have milliseconds to convince me not to end their unauthorized intrusion into my home!

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    There is also the probability the BG is armed also, which announcing anything will also announce your position and any element of surprise giving the BG and general location to shoot if he so chooses.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seeing that I don't wish to clean up a bloody mess, if circumstances allow, I will give one and only one command to freeze. Other than that, the only announcement will be the report of a .45 auto discharging.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Georgia Law states
    Defense of habitation; (here habitation means dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business) A person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:

A person is breaking\has broken into your home in a violent and tumultuous manner, and you think that the intruder is going to assault you or someone else living there.
    A person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters the residence and you know it is an unlawful entry.
    The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

So as another member put it "Pssst.........BANG...........Hello 911"

I know of no law in any state which requires you to announce that you are armed prior to employing lethal force to defend your life.

What constitutes a lethal threat can happen in the blink of an eye and to impose such a requirement on a person is to completely undermine the spirit of self defense as a concept and legal right. No state is going to do that.

The attorney's who advised you otherwise are likely tax attorneys and know not what they are speaking about. Certainly not criminal defense attorneys.

What is important to know, is what are your state laws concerning castle doctrine and home break-ins?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    However, if you are in Wisconsin, Castle Doctrine applies BUT this is Wisconsin, so you'll want to retreat and announce that you have a weapon. Unfortunately, that can give your position away. You can't just shoot here, you have to be in fear for your life, and the police, DA, judge and jury ALL have to believe it also. Remember to keep your finger off the trigger unless you're absolutely ready to shoot. Once you pull the trigger, there is no going back. There's no reset button. It changes you and the way you think feel and act FOREVER.
    With proper shot placement, the bad guy won't be able to lie to police/judge/jury about whether or not you properly communicated your intention to defend yourself and your family.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My announcement would include a bright flash to aid the perpetrator in seeing in the dark that I am here and armed...and just in case he is blind, it would also be accompanied by a loud bang. That terrible recurring case of laryngitis...I was yelling it, but nothing was coming out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinston View Post
    Georgia Law states
    Defense of habitation; (here habitation means dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business) A person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:

A person is breaking\has broken into your home in a violent and tumultuous manner, and you think that the intruder is going to assault you or someone else living there.
    A person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters the residence and you know it is an unlawful entry.
    The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

So as another member put it "Pssst.........BANG...........Hello 911"
    In FL, the simple act of having to "open" an unlocked door is forcible entry. No kick-in required.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am gonna shoot.....not give away i am armed or where i am, and when leo arrives,sorry leos for this comment, but i am gonna ask for a lawyer before i answer any questions, period.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    With proper shot placement, the bad guy won't be able to lie to police/judge/jury about whether or not you properly communicated your intention to defend yourself and your family.
    Wisconsin law does not require you to announce you have a weapon in a home invasion. See: Post #55
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

He isnt announcing he is coming in? Why do i have to shout IM HERE AND IM ARMED? Tactics and protection for your family over annoucing im there

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links