Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? - Page 6

Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

This is a discussion on Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye Also, prior to Dec 1 you could not use deadly force on an intruder once he had gained access to ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Home intruder: do you have to announce that you're armed?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Also, prior to Dec 1 you could not use deadly force on an intruder once he had gained access to your home in NC. You could use deadly force to stop his entry but once inside, he would have to pose a deadly threat such as a gun or knife before you could escalate the level of force to deadly. Now the laws allow deadly force even after entry because it is a given you would be in fear of serious violence.
    One thing to consider is that the original law is still on the books, that you are permitted to PREVENT entry. When I took a refresher class on the updates, it was pointed out that this is actually the stronger statute because it has been established and held up by case/common law whereas the new Castle Doctrine had not. I always thought the prevention law was a bit weird and personally, I think one would be on more solid ground once the intruder was inside as then there is little or no question that they are a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Prior to posting this I did use the search function but I would like some clarification.

Someone breaks into your home: do you have to announce/yell to the intruder that you are present in the house and that you have a firearm? Or can you simply find a corner or stand behind a closed door and remain silent in a defensive position?

I'm asking this from the scope of possible criminal charges and civil litigation, and not of tactical advantage/disadvantage.

I've heard both ways. Some say, including law enforcement and attorneys, that you must make your presence known to an intruder and make them aware that you're armed. Others say there's no requirement; this person broke into your home and that's the risk they took.

What do you think?
    I could look into it for you if I knew which state you lived in....

In the "Home Invasion Rules of Engagement" handbook, it says the homeowner must give the perp a 3 Mississippi count before rushing the passer, oh...never mind. That's the Backyard Football handbook.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The locked door is warning enough that an armed citizen dwells inside. Criminal invaders know this, even if political hacks won't acknowledge it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Prior to posting this I did use the search function but I would like some clarification.

Someone breaks into your home: do you have to announce/yell to the intruder that you are present in the house and that you have a firearm? Or can you simply find a corner or stand behind a closed door and remain silent in a defensive position?

I'm asking this from the scope of possible criminal charges and civil litigation, and not of tactical advantage/disadvantage.

I've heard both ways. Some say, including law enforcement and attorneys, that you must make your presence known to an intruder and make them aware that you're armed. Others say there's no requirement; this person broke into your home and that's the risk they took.

What do you think?
    I live in Ohio, which is a Castle Doctrine state. No, I would not announce.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Don't want to endanger myself any further by giving information to the invader. Besides, announcing I'm armed won't change his career. If it deters him at all, it will only be to another home that may be un-armed. That's not being a good neighbor at all, is it?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    If I catch a guy spooning my wife on the dance floor of at our local bar am I obligated to give him three steps if he ask for that favor?

As for a BG breaking into my house, in Nevada I must give him the following notice if I fear for my life: Bang-Stop-Bang-Don't Move-Bang. If he continues to move I follow up with two more Bangs!

One caveat, If the BG makes out of the house and is running down the street I cannot pursue and shoot him! You go to jail and do not pass go with that action!

Old Lynyrd Skynyrd fan
    BugDude likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    The problem with criminals is that they tend to lie.
    The problem with dead criminals is that they can't tell their side of the story.

So, you'd better made sure it's 100% justifiable before pulling the trigger... If that means announcing you're armed to avoid it, then perhaps you should. Now, if someone is running down my hallway at me or my family as far as I'm concerned they've already had 3 warnings...

1. Doors and windows were locked to protect them from entering.
    2. Alarm system was triggered.
    3. Dogs made it clear they were not welcome in our home.

Sorry, but I tried... they are obviously determined to cause harm, I have no choice but to defend myself and my family - announcing I'm armed would be a courtesy, not a requirement at that point.

My dogs will gladly announce that the BG picked the wrong house...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

The muzzle flash is fair enough warning Id say.

Kudos to you for pre-planning! Simply buying a gun and getting a permit does not mean that you are protected.

You, just like the rest of us will have to make your own choice if that day ever comes. No one here except you will be facing the consequences of your actions or inaction's.

Everybody's advise on here is worth every penny that you have paid for it, Especially mine! :)
    I suggest that you take a look at State law, find a class that has a strong law element to it and talk to a area criminal defense attorney that is familiar with self defense.

If you are ever forced to shoot, I would caution against "shooting to kill" the intruder. I would recommend that you "shoot to stop." Notice I didn't say shoot to wound. My intention is to stop the threat, not kill the bad guy. I am going to shoot center of mass until there is no longer a threat. Yes, there is a very good chance they may die, but that isn't my intent.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

In Florida you don't need to say a word. You can assume anyone who breaks into your home or occupied vehicle is there to do you harm. Do what ever you need to do to defend yourself. If they know where you are they can possibly get a shot off if they have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    1st: Know your state laws and how they apply..

2nd: Never, ever, give a verbal warning to someone breaking into your home. You job is not to play fair. Your job is to keep this individual from killing you and your family...
    Or as I have seen it stated, "If you find yourself in a fair fight your tatics suck!"

The way I see it, if you announce that you have a gun and the bad guy does too, now he not only knows where you are, but he knows that he will either have to run or shoot it out with you. If he's bold enough and desperate enough to be armed he may also be cold blooded enough to shoot first without announcing his intentions.

What do you think?
    Announce? Last thing muttered to myself under my breath would be 'I want to live'. So be it. Requirements? You have got to be kidding me right? If you make your shots count........who's going to testify against you? What did you say? C'mon now....don't be silly. The laws? How do they play out for you in the end? Live or die? What sort of law is that....you have to decide, or skate down frivolous lane? You're smarter than all that surely. Do what you have to do and survive. You can always write your autobiography in prison. If you didn't do what you had to do on the outside, you'd never be able to tell.

Quote - If I catch a guy spooning my wife on the dance floor of at our local bar am I obligated to give him three steps if he ask for that favor?

You must, by law comply with said request only if a. he is referring to you by a masculine identifier, b. requesting your patience for no longer than 60 seconds, c. insists vehemently that he and your wife did NOT engage in a public display of affection being of the open mouthed OR closed mouth variety and d. he doesn't desire you to be a source of difficulty. This is only applicable if you are indeed a feller with your hair colored yellow.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links