String of armed robberies at Waffle Houses here

This is a discussion on String of armed robberies at Waffle Houses here within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 Maybe you're carrying a full sized 1911 with two spare mags (you are, right?). No. I always carry three spares ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: String of armed robberies at Waffle Houses here

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Maybe you're carrying a full sized 1911 with two spare mags (you are, right?).
    No.

I always carry three spares with the 1911. One in each front pocket for balance and one in the mag slot on the holster. The backup gun has two spares, but only because .380 single stacks are so small they fit in the edges of my vest pockets really well, or can be doubled-up in nearly any mag holder.

2. Remove Ads

Gregarat...

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    retsupt99,
    Try the one on Archer RD. at 03:00, there and Perkins on Newbury RD.

If you go to the Waffle house on 13th st., you might just get robbed.
    I usually go to the one on Newberry RD. I'm still not that familiar with Gainesville...is 13th in the 'not so good' part of town? My wife and I do go to Perkins quite often...is that 3 am or pm?

Hey...
    Having read so many threads from Central Florida...I'd be willing to meet you for a cup of coffee some day and chat about this forum. I retired back in '99, but just last year got bored and took a teaching job at one of the local high schools.
    It's nice to put a face with a 'handle'.

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

this is a tough scenario.
    If I draw and fire, am I provoking the BGs to do likewise and thus endangering the other patrons?
    So, even if I take 1 or 2 of the BGs down, some innocents might get shot by the BGs in the process.
    If this went down like that, it could be construed that I caused the death or injury of other patrons...

While I would be behind cover before acting, other patron would be exposed.
    To be honest, I don't know what I'd do.
    If it ever happens, and I hope it doesn't, then I hope that God would guide me correctly.

If it's four guys, I'd venture to say they are organized and this is not their first rodeo. If you are not a SEAL, you are probably not trained enought to deal with four scattered, armed targets. Any warrior would tell you 4:1 odds bite. Also, four members visible doesnt mean four members only. Thats what YOU see. Who else in the diner is the inside person who cased the place and called in the four person team. So, now maybe five? Or the member outside working survielence (?)/backup in case of trouble, or the 'getaway' driver?

Point is, a four member squad is likley organized, prepared, practiced, and not really four. They, in all likleyhood, are truly after the money, and not looking to draw unwanted heat for a murder. But, as seen by thier actions, they are prepared for it. Flipside is , they may get more violent with each succesful robbery.

I also agree to the 'line in the sand' statement. I suppose, (not for sure, dynamics change), it would be at a point of seperation from the group. That means you are gonna be led to the freezer and shot. So, whaddya got to lose a this point. But we each need a line in the sand.

If , and only if it came to drawing and firing, I should think best bet in a restaurant type setting to avoid rounds in innocents, is from a lying or kneeling position, angling rounds upwards. Still sux. Four (+) members, you are probably gonna eat a couple rounds. Just bad odds.

Dan

These are very poor odds, indeed. Sure, as stated previously, there could be other's in the "wings" (lookout, getaway driver, etc), but this makes a decision difficult. True, if all of the customer's are on the floor you have 4 perfect targets, but surely one must realize the chances of getting shot yourself are great, (unless, of course, there's at least another CCW carrier in the restaurant as well....)

We can all hope for the best outcome, but chances are, these individuals are just going to get more and more brazen. Eventually, if they aren't caught soon, an innocent is going to get hurt. These thugs are going to be less cautious as time goes on and will probably shoot someone.

Well, another Waffle House just got hit last night. This one on Donelson Pike, closer to my neighborhood. It's gettin' to be where a man can't eat his cheese eggs in peace. This rash of robberies is ongoing here in Nashville and I honestly believe it's the same "gang" behind them all. Sooner or later they'll get caught - or shot. The only question is, will they kill somebody before it happens.
    Jack

Lew
    Last week we stopped at IHOP in Fort Stockton,Texas. The food was good, the service was very good. There was no smoke choking us, and there was no "No Guns" sign. There was also a HUGE tractor trailer parking area. Very clean and friendly. I was very impressed. I say, avoid waffle house and just go to IHOP.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

"This one on Donelson Pike, closer to my neighborhood"
    I can WALK to this one without breaking too much of a sweat....

Reason number 250,048,304,004 why I carry..and enjoy eating at home.

Question: What do you say to your friend before you go into a Waffle House?

Answer: Cover me!

Story today in our local paper:
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....WS03/610030362

My comments are SURE to draw up the ire of the sheep...They are the 1st on the "comments" section...unless they're taken down soon by the editors

Just in case heres what I wrote in the comments:
    "It's just a matter of time before one person is going to try to defend themselves," Hutcherson said. "What bothers me is these guys are armed, and if they start shooting, bullets are going to be flying everywhere. That's exactly what we don't want."

Waffle House insures THIS won't happen because they don't allow law abiding citizens to carry a weapon for protection. It might be a pipe dream, but I'd hope these robberies will open their eyes to just how vulnerable they are making their customers with this policy. ONE person attempting to take down 3 or 4 bad guys is suicide; even if that one person is a security guard…it will end badly. Waffle House is a soft target. Easy entry, small locations that allow a small crew to control the situation, pretty safe (in the bad guys mind) that no one…other than the bad guys will be armed. Mostly cash business
    PAYDAY.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:51 am

VIP Member
    Good grief, that one's not too far away from me, either. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for vehicles/passengers matching the description of the culprits.

There's one Waffle House even closer to me that's relatively easy to hit and then escape to the interstate.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    There's one Waffle House even closer to me that's relatively easy to hit and then escape to the interstate.
    I talk to my students all the time about their vulnerability in "safe" locations (malls, restaurants, other public places, etc.) due to their proximity to the Interstate system. One reason Middle Tennessee is a popular place for so many large corporations is because the area is within twenty-four hour's drive at legal highway speeds of over seventy percent of the U.S. population/market--Maine, Florida, Texas, Minnesota, and everything in-between.

My wife's been taking her sister's kids, ages 4 and 8, out for breakfast on Saturday mornings lately. This past Saturday they went to the Waffle House on OHB ... right off I-65. We had a looooong talk about that and she won't be taking them to W.H. anymore.

It's like any other business that's posted off limits, if I can't protect me and mine then we'll go someplace where I CAN!!!

Sounds like Dunn, Betty and I live fairly close to each other - I'm over by Southern Hills. You guys catch the part about how the "spree" started Sept. 3rd? Seems I remember a few of them getting hit in this area over the last few years - the one on Harding across from Sam's comes to mind.
    Jack

It's just a matter of time before police do catch up with these teen thugs. What do they think is going to happen then? It is a high probability that if they are caught inside a waffle house, they will have hostages. Fortunately for me I don't like WH food. I work for IHOP.
    Lady Valerian

I have 2 guns - one for each of ya'. Tombstone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links