Breaking up a fist fight... - Page 3

Breaking up a fist fight...

This is a discussion on Breaking up a fist fight... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last time I was in this situation was in Hickory NC. Big bar fight and I was at the bar and stuck in middle ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Breaking up a fist fight...

The last time I was in this situation was in Hickory NC. Big bar fight and I was at the bar and stuck in middle of it. Me and another large guy stood back to back and pushed people away from us. When the dust settled, I gathered my 2 drunk buddies and we cut a trail as the police arrived. I was driving one of their cars (I was sober) and about 4 miles down the road a car full of guys had followed us and ran us off the road. The curb blew a tire and I darted onto the interstate and lost them (they could not make turn onto ramp). I took the next exit and did a NASCAR pit stop tire change at midnight and got the heck out of there. Tore his rim and car up, but we avoided another encounter. I don't hang with those guys anymore. Point is even after you leave, watch out down the road.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    You already know the correct answer, "Don't go to stupid places with stupid people". That aside, if he won't listen to you when he's been drinking, stand back and let him learn the hard way.

I learned many years ago, it doesn't matter how big, or how bad someone is. There is always someone bigger and badder out there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    You answered your own question. Don't be in that position in the first place.

If you ARE in that situation for some reason, remember that ANY fight you become involved in has at least one gun present. Is that drunk friend/relative/whatever worth spending the rest of your life in prison if things take the wrong turn? De-escalate if you can, but be very careful about becoming physically involved in what is not really your fight.

Sometimes the best lesson a drunk can learn is getting his butt kicked.

Excellent Post
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm pretty firm on this. I think that if you or a family member is not in danger, you should stay out of it. Guns are not to be used as a scare tactic. If you can diffuse a situation without a gun (which you did), there would never be a reason to draw. Your gun is your last resort.

Always do whatever it takes to keep a firearm out of a fist fight. Always. That includes bailing and looking like a wimp or whatever anyone else can think of that doesn't know you have a firearm. If you're carrying a firearm you are no longer a person that should even remotely put himself in the middle of anything that is being settled with fists, especially drunks. You get yourself tangled up in that and now you've just put everyone around in danger when your gun gets lose or taken away. Don't go there. It's a real responsibility that your friend may pay a bit more for with the lack of assistance he will receive, but maybe that's what he needs. The responsibility of carrying a firearm far outweighs the code of partnership in a fistfight. I would find myself more likely to step in to break it up if I wasn't carrying....but when does that happen?
    miller_man likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Screw your friend who put you into that position in the first place. If I'm carrying and a buddy provokes a fight, that is his problem.
    TVJ likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    I hope you wouldn't let your friend drunk or not get beat up by two guys. If you would, that's a punk move by not helping him regardless of his situation. It shouldn't even be a question, of course you intervene if its your friend against multiple guys.

Perhaps your hands aren't as good as your trigger finger, because anyone can sling bullets but not everyone can sling knuckles. Not trying to start anything but the fact that you are questioning helping a friend rubs me the wrong way, it should be automatic.

If anything physically remove him from the situation as fast as you can like you did and from there don't go out with him anymore when he wants to drink.
    I would appreciate at least two hours advance notice if you ever plan to be at a bar near me "slinging knuckles", much obliged.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sounds like your buddy is a Delta Bravo. Why get involved armed or not?

Your brother isn't always right, but he is always your brother.
    I don't leave friends behind, drunk or not, right or wrong. It's called loyalty, you know?
    ComplexKaos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I would appreciate at least two hours advance notice if you ever plan to be at a bar near me "slinging knuckles", much obliged.
    Can't do, won't do.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post

I don't leave friends behind, drunk or not, right or wrong. It's called loyalty, you know?
    Exactly, you just don't stand there or leave a friend behind.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ask Zimmerman about how sticking one's nose where it didn't belong worked out for him. Avoidance precludes involvement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Tell your buddy not to let his alligator mouth write a check that his hummingbird arse can't cash.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have no friends that would put me in that position.
    mr.stuart and TVJ like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I would gladly leave the guy that starts a fight and places me in danger. He ain't my friend or brother. Most I would do is call the cops. I am not going to prison for a macho man's stupidity. You guys sling all the knuckles you want.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post

The other side of this coin in my world is after I have gotten my "Brother" out of this stupid spot he got himself in, he gets to deal with me...If you want to remain my "Brother" I don't have many rules, only 2......Rule number one: Don't Be Stupid....Rule Number 2: Don't be Stupid

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links