The value of a good light

This is a discussion on The value of a good light within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m I think everyone who goes walking might want to consider a cane or walking stick as a good duel purpose tool. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The value of a good light

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I think everyone who goes walking might want to consider a cane or walking stick as a good duel purpose tool.
    Plus a fine cane can make you feel like a sir.
    621px-Neutral-feel-like-a-sir-clean-l.png
    ClutchSR9C likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Ha ha ha, I got a good laugh out of that one.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Are you sure it's not a cat that you are talking about?
    I used to think so, but 2 of my 3 dogs go after a laser just as aggressively as any cat I've seen. One of them will keep "hunting" for that green or red dot for a few hours after I've put it away.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Glad you also carry OC spray, ever since I've joined the forums I've tried to "convert" people to carry it. It's for more than just BGs, works great on anything with 4 legs and much less legal issues to worry about... glad you didn't have to use it tho.
    Better yet carry a cannister of bear spray. Good to 30 ft and will stop a grizzly. No ifs ands or buts--just a face of agony teaching a dog or any 2 legged dog a real lesson.
    PS: Most states have limits on amounts in cannisters, which is why all you tend to see are those little lipstick size units. I've asked prosecutors about the larger bear spray cannister and their answer has always been "don't worry about it---if you can stop any kind of attack with something other than a firearm, it is commendable.

Strobe light is particularly disorienting to animals.

I have a dozen strobe flashlights (high,low, strobe, etc) and they are genuinely hard to deal with when you are on the receiving end.

It pays to practice with strobes with friends (humans), and with dogs at low light (just walk through your neighborhood and you'll find some).
    It doesn't harm anyone, and you get to see how the effect is.

Less lethal weapons are always welcome in my pocket, especially if they are small. Or female.

I always have my Streamlight ProTac 2L in my pocket, it's a very small flashlight that puts out a lot of light. The strobe has worked well to fend off dogs as well as Boy Scouts trying to snag food from the Adults cooler...

Just picked up a Fury myself a couple of weeks back. It is an absolutely phenomenal flashlight. Glad it deterred the dog for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GearmanTX View Post
    I always have my Streamlight ProTac 2L in my pocket, it's a very small flashlight that puts out a lot of light. The strobe has worked well to fend off dogs as well as Boy Scouts trying to snag food from the Adults cooler...
    I've heard good things about the 2L. I just ordered two. One for the wife and one for me. The Fenix TK15 I carry is going to be the nightstand light when my 2L comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Now days, there is no excuse to not have a good 250+ lumen flashlight. A JetBeam BA20 is $40 or less. . There are many choices out there in the sub $50 category.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

I always have a light with me, even in the day time. You never know when you will need a good flashlight.
    I have a SureFire G2X Pro 15/200 lumens great little light. I just bought the G2X Pro and then they release the fury. Oh well I'll have to get me a fury later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I had to shoot a human once (in the chest) and he put up a big fuss trying to avoid getting a laser in his eyes...I didn't shoot till the laser was between his nipples.

One shot and he fled w/ a copper slug in his chest. Never caught the guy.

I had to shoot a human once (in the chest) and he put up a big fuss trying to avoid getting a laser in his eyes...I didn't shoot till the laser was between his nipples.

One shot and he fled w/ a copper slug in his chest. Never caught the guy.

Cops showed about 5 minutes after the show was over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links