Why do they ask??

This is a discussion on Why do they ask?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A thought... Why do BGs with guns ask for your wallet if they plan on shooting you anyway? Why not just walk behind you or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do they ask??

Why do they ask??

A thought...

Why do BGs with guns ask for your wallet if they plan on shooting you anyway? Why not just walk behind you or whatever, pull the trigger, then take your wallet?

If they ask with the gun pointed, I would almost bet they would think twice about pulling the trigger...they just want the money, right? I would think you could use this to your advantage...I would as others said, pull the wallet and chunk it to them, but then draw and fire no questions asked. Hell, I may draw and fire before I give them the wallet..I have no idea what I would do...

If I was a BG, and I wanted to kill the dude and get his money, I'd shoot him first.

2. Remove Ads

pax
    ppcpilot ~

As a woman, I can never assume that they only want my money. They might be looking for a compliant female victim to rape and then murder.

Some criminals really get off on watching people grovel. Call it foreplay.

That said: the smart thing to do is to give them the money, and be prepared to fight back with everything you've got if it isn't enough. My plan for the generic scenario is to toss $$ to one side, plan to bolt the other direction, and give the criminal a chance to save his own life by turning toward the money rather than toward me. If he turns toward me he's dead; I might lose but I'll die trying.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

It is quicker N cleaner to take first rather than search a dead bloody weight, which gives you time to defend. N +1 on pax a woman has a whole heap more to worry about than a guy.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I too believe my life is in imminent danger (which gives me the right to shoot) if someone with ill-intent is pointing a gun at me saying "gimme yer wallet!" if they were to simply walk up and try a strong arm tactic with no weapon then deadly force would theoretically be too much in the eyes of the law. but a gun displayed and maybe pointed at me all bets are off, fake a draw of the wallet and out comes the 1911 with several 230gr'ers coming there way while moving off the "X".
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Its called "de-escalation/Neutralization". If you down-grade, because you believe the threat is limited, they have greater control, and less chance of things going wrong (ie, a disarm, getting stabbed, shot, etc..). You think they don't learn from their experiences with LE?

Quote Originally Posted by ppcpilot View Post
    If I was a BG, and I wanted to kill the dude and get his money, I'd shoot him first.
    And...... if you don't have much, you probably aren't worth killing, unless you PO the BG, or he decides he doesn't like you. Yuppie, with cash, a few cards- you'll make a good witness in court, and you're probably better dead. No way to know, until you see what you get. Indiscriminate shoot-n-rolls would be "mass murder", and the homies know that.

Most people that get shot are above the perp, on the SES, unless its drug/gang related.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    They(the BG's) know that a LEO wont shoot them. They will beg them to stop,get down,drop the gun, freeze,etcetcetcetcetcetcetc,and still not shoot them.What makes ya'll think that the hardcore BG's out their really think that they have the remotest chance of being shot by a "regular civilian".

This will work to our advantage. ---------

Senior Moderator
    A thought...

Why do BGs with guns ask for your wallet if they plan on shooting you anyway? Why not just walk behind you or whatever, pull the trigger, then take your wallet?
    Simple - the shot attracts attention. Much smarter to get the goods, then make the loud noise and immediately run away, rather than making the loud noise and hanging around while you search the body for the money, etc.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If I was a BG...
    Well here's the basic problem. You're thinking logically. You're thinking from the perspective of a normal, rational, law-abiding person. You're not a BG, so what you would do doesn't really count!

Seriously, a criminal--almost by definition--is not behaving in a rational manner. Beyond that, if they shoot first and then rob you, they have to stick around long enough to finish the robbery AFTER they've fired the gun and made this big, loud noise that might attract attention.

Most importantly, perhaps, is to remember the very clear statistics that exist: If you cooperate with a criminal in every way you stand a GREATER chance of being killed or injured than if you fight back. Yes, it's true. Give him what he wants and you are MORE likely to be killed than if you fight back. Never cooperate with a criminal, except to the extent that it will give you an advantage in eventually fighting back.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    They(the BG's) know that a LEO wont shoot them. They will beg them to stop,get down,drop the gun, freeze,etcetcetcetcetcetcetc,and still not shoot them.What makes ya'll think that the hardcore BG's out their really think that they have the remotest chance of being shot by a "regular civilian".

This will work to our advantage. ---------
    The "being shot" isn't as much of an issue as the control- if you scream, run, fight back, etc., things get complicated for simple minds. The reason violent crime is lower in CC states. I agree, surprise is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Most importantly, perhaps, is to remember the very clear statistics that exist: If you cooperate with a criminal in every way you stand a GREATER chance of being killed or injured than if you fight back. Yes, it's true. Give him what he wants and you are MORE likely to be killed than if you fight back.
    Could you be so kind as to provide a reference for your statistic?
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
    Could you be so kind as to provide a reference for your statistic?
    I don't have the exact ref in front of me now, but the FBI stats show that when a weapon is pointed at you the chances are 6 in 10 that you will be shot at.
    A gun is a useful tool for making holes at a distance

"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

The "P" Principal
    Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Loud Noises...

will be coming from both my Kimber and my shorts if I am ever confronted by an armed BG...or just a real BG for that matter. I don't think most people even have time to think, yet alone to react. It is what one practices for/with...The Kimber...not the shorts!

JMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by progun47 View Post
    I don't have the exact ref in front of me now, but the FBI stats show that when a weapon is pointed at you the chances are 6 in 10 that you will be shot at.
    I don't doubt that. What I would like to see a reference on is
    If you cooperate with a criminal in every way you stand a GREATER chance of being killed or injured than if you fight back.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links