Pre-emptive shooting

This is a discussion on Pre-emptive shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In this scenario Armed Homeowner Shoots Robbers During Daytime Invasion (AZ) - YouTube the homeowner opened fire from within his home at the perps before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pre-emptive shooting

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Pre-emptive shooting

In this scenario

Armed Homeowner Shoots Robbers During Daytime Invasion (AZ) - YouTube

the homeowner opened fire from within his home at the perps before they could enter the house. Under the same circumstances, tactically, it seems like a good idea to shoot at them from within your house as they obviously meant harm. It just would seem to me, that it is better to ward off/stop the attack than try to defend once they are inside your home. Of course, you are responsible for any bullet fired, but what are you to do????
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Different states may have different laws but IMO and in SC, it always comes down to "presumption by a reasonable person of imminent threat of death or great bodily injury. From what I surmise from the video and not your thread description, he was not just sitting in his home and started shooting just because he was scared. If I am not mistaken, he was retreating back into his house and he has video evidence that is indisputable and clearly relates to the presumption of imminent threat under the law. You are insinuating and asking can someone begin their defense with the use of their firearm when they are just sitting in their house and seeing a baggy pants below the knee hoodie type with hands in his pocket and a gangsta swagger coming to your door. No way in my opinion. This case, from what I can get out of the report, is very special and damning to the BGs and vindicates the homeowner big time. I seriously doubt if you will see that kind of evidence in any similar home defense type case.
    Last edited by kelcarry; August 9th, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

With that kind of force coming in, I will make sure they are met with the same force. IMO I think the homeowner did a good job....I would have done the same thing...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Perfect situation for the shotgun. There would have been at least a few of them that never left.

VIP Member
    Um, we discussed this awhile ago, and yes, IMHO, anyone that comes knocking on my door with that kind of hardware, I have no other alternative, but to believe they intend me and mine ill will.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

In SC, your "castle" is your entire property, not just your house. If he feared for his life, 'nuff said.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    In SC, your "castle" is your entire property, not just your house. If he feared for his life, 'nuff said.
    The catle doctrine in SC actually applies to anywhere you have the legal right to be (you are not trespassing).

If I saw that type of an assault coming toward me, I do everything I could to protect my family and myself and worry about the legalities later.

The only way this could be preemptive would be if he had shot them before he felt threatened.

Michael
    oneshot, atctimmy and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    Actually that's a compelling video, it proves the effectiveness and needs of an armed homeowner. They scattered on the first shot and according to the news still on the run.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    That's not "pre-emptive". Once a genuine threat has presented itself, your defense is "reactive".
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The catle doctrine in SC actually applies to anywhere you have the legal right to be (you are not trespassing).
    One of the many things I like about SC besides the beach and scenery.

I could be mistaken since I viewed the video on mobile but it appeared two of them had assault rifles.. this doesn't look like your typical attempted home invasion. I didn't hear or read anything regarding the home owner but in my experiences, this looks like a hit squad and/or an attempt to rob a stash house.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.
    FLArmadillo and mb1900 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The home owner probably saved some lives, possibly including his own, by shooting early. If he had waited until they broke into his house, he could have faced a two-way range. Tactically and humanistically, he might have done the best thing. I can't comment about the legal aspect. Personally I think he did the right thing.

This does me think about something. Weapons is about oneupmanship. "You call that a knife? THIS is a knife." "Yeah, well, this is a gun!" If all or most of the home owners become armed, then the robbers will either change their strategy, get more powerful weapons, adopt more vicious tactics. For example, they may snipe a whole family as it comes out the front door. Or they could use an RPG. Or they could blow up a part of the house and pick through what's left. We will be in a war zone.

Thinking about this reaffirms my belief that firearms are valuable tools of last resort that can solve our immediate problem (a criminal attack), but we also need to solve the bigger, deeper fundamental social problem that's resulted in such high crime rates.
    FLArmadillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I could be mistaken since I viewed the video on mobile but it appeared two of them had assault rifles.. this doesn't look like your typical attempted home invasion. I didn't hear or read anything regarding the home owner but in my experiences, this looks like a hit squad and/or an attempt to rob a stash house.
    I wonder about that, too. The guy had videocams installed everywhere. Why? He also expected the invasion. A car pulls up to your driveway, and within a few seconds you start shooting? In the best scenario I can imagine, a car pulls up, you get suspicious because you've never seen this car before. The guys pop out from the car immediately, you see their guns, and you run to your weapon stash. Then you take a position... Unless the video has been edited, it also seems like the home owner has been warned in advance. He has the videocams to take the evidence, and he had his shotgun ready, even before the bad guys pull up. Hmm...
    carracer likes this.

I think it would depend on the situation. In this case, where they are all apparently armed, and one has a semi-auto rifle, I think i would shoot before they broke in (being outnumbered, and possibly outgunned).

If not, they may be able to enter from different locations and flank me.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links