VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do?? - Page 3

VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do??

This is a discussion on VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I chose other. Letting her in, even if she is a victim, has problems. She could be so hysterical that she could be all over ...

View Poll Results: Door Pounds, Midnight: Woman, Scream: HELP! "LET ME IN! MAN WITH A KNIFE CHASING ME!!

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • LET HER IN, Under Guard, Call 911

50 47.62%
  • KEEP HER OUT. CALL 911 (Even Tho She May Die In Sseconds))

39 37.14%
  • GO OUT, ARMED. Have Her Lie Prone, Wait To See If She's Followed Or Lying.

5 4.76%
  • OTHER: (Please Speicify In Post)

11 10.48%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do??

I chose other. Letting her in, even if she is a victim, has problems. She could be so hysterical that she could be all over you (like a drowning victim with a life guard) and if the BG gets to you it could be bad. Having a spouse watch her is a good idea and one that may work. But again, if the lady is freaking out and a true victim but on drugs, she might start acting irrationaly and could make what appears to be threatening gestures or attacks which you may now have to defend yourself against.

If the BG shows up and it is the husband/boyfriend the victim may now not want him hurt and try to defend him. It happens all the time in domestic violence incidents.

The stock answer is to keep her outside and call 911. But experience, training, and your gut will determine what you will do.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I live out in the country so there is an extremely low probably of someone at my door claiming to being chased by someone with a knife. That being said I would turn on the outside lights while calling 911.
    When I was riding with a sheriff's deputy buddy we responded to several situations very similar to this; don't totally rule it out.

Had that happen to me not too long ago at midnight. Girl claimed her boyfriend had beaten her up and was now chasing her and she wanted in. Car immediately pulled up in front of the house but I could not tell what kind or who was in it. Turns out it was a LEO in an unmarked car. She was running from LEO who had busted an underage drinking party...

I recall hearing a similar thing happened in southern WI but the kid actually broke in and was shot and killed by the homeowner.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Having intimate knowledge of the horrors of rape & abuse, I will always be inclined to help an abuse victim. But, that doesn't mean I'm careless about it. I have been that safe port in a storm before and I'm sure I would be again.
    goldshellback likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I really have no idea what I'd do. It would depend on the particulars of the situation, I suppose, but I'm always inclined to help others. I'd probably be inclined to let her in under guard, lock the door, and have my wife call the police in the meantime. If she's running from the cops, it won't do her much good if I have her held at gunpoint while waiting for them to show up.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I am not answering this as what SHOULD I do but what thoughts would guide my choice.

One of the largest factors in my decisions will be, who is home with me?

Right, wrong or indifferent I am willing to put myself at risk for others. Personally I feel a moral sense to protect others when I am able. When we first started dating, my wife refused to watch the news and would never have a scanner on unless I was there. When I asked her why, she said because you are one of those (insert bad words here) that run into crap when everyone else runs out.

If I die helping others, so be it. However, I am much less willing to risk my loved ones. My first priority is to protect them.

I guess that was a long winded way of saying that the "victim" here would have a much higher "burden of proof" to be let in if my family was home then if I were alone.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    I open the garage and let her in there. Then I close the garage keeping her locked in there. That way I can help her while still keeping a potential BG locked out of my house. If she really is in fear for her life she'll have no problem waiting in a locked garage for the police to arrive.

ETA: I can open and close the garage doors by remote.

Just so we are clear, this is not the first time this type of scenario has come up and this is the plan I have made in ADVANCE so that while in the moment I know what to do. Have a plan, stick to the plan. If you have no plan, plan to fail.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I open the garage and let her in there. Then I close the garage keeping her locked in there. That way I can help her while still keeping a potential BG locked out of my house. If she really is in fear for her life she'll have no problem waiting in a locked garage for the police to arrive.

ETA: I can open and close the garage doors by remote.

Just so we are clear, this is not the first time this type of scenario has come up and this is the plan I have made in ADVANCE so that while in the moment I know what to do. Have a plan, stick to the plan. If you have no plan, plan to fail.
    Winner winner, chicken dinner.

There are still severe logistical challenges to directing her to the garage, and opening the door for all to rush in, but it does serve as an outer perimeter and still protects the integrity of inner perimeter. In the worse case of a gang-rush scenario, one could still fight their way back into the house, vs. already having the fight in the house.

I would yell back "Keep running, I'll call police!". I'm always armed at home, but I'm still not opening my door.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

A couple thoughts on the garage.

1. The most valuable assets at your house are probably in your garage.
    2. Many tools/weapons are in the garage.
    3. This time of year in Florida, I could bake potatoes in my garage at midnight.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

3. This time of year in Florida, I could bake potatoes in my garage at midnight.
    I have already assessed the risks of my plan and, while it may not be the best plan for everyone, it is best for me. It allows me a chance to help a "possible" victim while still maintaining a locked barrier between a possible BG and my family.
    detective likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I'm lucky in this scenario in that I live in a house with two other guys and between the three of us we have 12 combat tours in Infantry units. We would probably call 911, let her in, cover her, prepare to deal with whatever is chasing her, and wait on the flashing lights and sirens. Most of the time there are no children in our house(I have my son every other weekend), and all of us are armed and capable of taking care of ourselves.
    tcox4freedom and msgt/ret like this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

It depends.

How about opening the garage door, telling her to go into the garage and closing the garage door behind her. All from inside the house, while the wife is calling 911.

You don't give her access to the house, and the BG if there is one doesn't have access to her. I have video cameras covering the front, drive, and inside the garage so I can keep an eye on her while the police come. If she tries to get into the house, well that is another scenario.

Oops, I should have read the entire thread. Timmy already suggested that.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

This scenario actually happened twice in my life. The first time, I was a kid (about 14). Late at nite, a woman came screaming up to our door, pounding, crying for help. My dad called the cops, but did not answer the door. About 30 seconds later, she ran off crying loudly. Cops about showed up about 5 minutes later, and my dad simply said someone was asking for help and ran off. Never heard anything later about it. Hope she survived.

The 2nd time I was in college living with my roomates in an apartment complex. I was alone, and a buck-naked woman started pounding on my door (trust me, she was butt-ugly) in tears. As soon as I opened the door, stink of booze hit me. She immediatly ran past me and hid in one of the bedrooms. Following her was my neighbor obviously drunk too. I told him to stay outside, and shut the door. I called the cops. My pistol was locked in my closet, but the whole thing suprised me, and I didn't have it on me when I answered the door.

Cops arrived and I explained the what happened. Turns out my neighbor picked her up at a bar, both drunk as all get out, and from what I can ascertain, attempted rape. Thing was, no charges. Both were drunk, and the woman's clothes at the neighbor's apt. showed no sign of struggle. There were also no bruises or anything like that. Cops said she got second thoughts about the whole thing, got sober, whatever, and ran.

Not much I could do about the first scenario. I was only 14. Now that I live in my own house, I do carry on me, or at least keep the handgun nearby. I also have a heavy security door, so that I can open the regular door, and see out fine.

If it happens again, I will let the person in. My wife also carries, and I have a medium-sized dog that is loyal. I could not, in good conscious, turn someone away asking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

ETA: I can open and close the garage doors by remote...
    I think this is likely the winning plan, if it is available at one's residence. As it happens my garage is detached from my home and I can't access it remotely. Even so, I plan to move in the next year or two, and when I do, an attached garage is something I am going to be looking for in a new house.

As it is though, I still am sticking with my original response. Despite the fact that I have spent the last sixteen years working the street as a patrol cop and supervisor, and despite the fact that has significantly reduced my faith in the human race, I am still willing to help someone that appears to be a legitimate victim in danger. On the other hand, if the person banging on my door and asking for help is someone I know on a professional level, I am going to be a lot less likely to even acknowledge that I am home, much less open the door.

If my choice puts me in harms way, so be it, I've been in harms way before and expect I will be again.

For most people that would be vehicles. I have insurance on the off chance someone that appears to be in real danger is actual interested in stealing my mini-van. Nothing much else of value in there.

In my case all of them are contact weapons and would require one making it through a locked inner door (if I had an attached garage). I am sure we would all be willing to shoot an intruder through that door if they armed themselves with a contact weapon and attempted to force entry.

I expect that would still be better than getting killed, injured, raped, etc. in the eyes of the potential victim
    oneshot likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links