VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do??

This is a discussion on VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NOTE FROM OP Person at your door, say 12:30 am You're reading/watching TV before lights off. If you have a family they are asleep. Loud ...

View Poll Results: Door Pounds, Midnight: Woman, Scream: HELP! "LET ME IN! MAN WITH A KNIFE CHASING ME!!

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • LET HER IN, Under Guard, Call 911

50 47.62%
  • KEEP HER OUT. CALL 911 (Even Tho She May Die In Sseconds))

39 37.14%
  • GO OUT, ARMED. Have Her Lie Prone, Wait To See If She's Followed Or Lying.

5 4.76%
  • OTHER: (Please Speicify In Post)

11 10.48%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: VICTIM! : At Your Door. MidNight. What Do You Do??

NOTE FROM OP

Person at your door, say 12:30 am You're reading/watching TV before lights off. If you have a family they are asleep.

Loud Pounding from front door, woman screaming unintelligibly. If you would get a gun out then you do, you go down stairs nearer the door and understand her screaming words: "HELP! HELP ME!! A MAN IS CHASING ME WITH A KNIFE !! LET ME IN!!! PLEASE!!!PLEASE !! HE"S COMING!!! HE"LL KILL ME!! LET ME IN!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She sounds truly in absolute terror.

What would you Do?

PS: You Either Can't See Out From Where You Are or, If You Can, You See a Woman, Say Early 30s, Looking Hysterical and Screaming, Pounding at Your Door i.e., She Acts Like She Sounds
    Last edited by detective; August 14th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
    beararms likes this.

I have a gun in my hand anytime I answer the door, day or night. I would not open the door. In this situation I would tell her help is on the way, and call the cops. Id go ahead and turn on my lights that light up my entire propery, and the front porch light. Id instruct her to stay on the porch that she would be ok. I can protect her through the window with my 12 gauge if need be. No way I would let her in.

I had a friend of mines dad try to help a woman that was broke down once. It was back in the early eighties. Well the woman turned out to be a man wearing a wig pretending to be broke down, with an accomplice hiding in the bushes. He was pretty much gutted and robbed. Miracously he lived. The bottom line is my safety and my wifes safety is #1 priority. Ill help if possible but will not put myself in a compromising position.

I'd let my dog out the back door and tell her to stand real still! Oh, wait, that wouldn't work, I have a Golden Retriever!
    detective, DrahtDog and ArmyMan like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I live out in the country so there is an extremely low probably of someone at my door claiming to being chased by someone with a knife. That being said I would turn on the outside lights while calling 911.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    I have a gun in my hand anytime I answer the door, day or night. I would not open the door. In this situation I would tell her help is on the way, and call the cops. Id go ahead and turn on my lights that light up my entire propery, and the front porch light. Id instruct her to stay on the porch that she would be ok. I can protect her through the window with my 12 gauge if need be. No way I would let her in.

I had a friend of mines dad try to help a woman that was broke down once. It was back in the early eighties. Well the woman turned out to be a man wearing a wig pretending to be broke down, with an accomplice hiding in the bushes. He was pretty much gutted and robbed. Miracously he lived. The bottom line is my safety and my wifes safety is #1 priority. Ill help if possible but will not put myself in a compromising position.
    Horrible story about your friend's dad, god, the lengths some people will go to rob and kill. Glad he survived.

Two Question Marks:

***FROM OP:

You know, I just thought of something after I posted the poll: REALLY devious about what could happen (I'm not saying it is, just an afterthought): if you had doubt this was actually what it sounded like and not a pretext to get in your house, so too could a man who suddenly ran up the driveway with a knife be a puzzle: is he the felon that is chasing her? Or is this part of the "Play" being put on to gain entry. He's not chasing her he's the accomplice who will be ready to slam his way into an opening door, knife plunging in to the homeowner before he can react.
    On the other hand, this could be what it seems, and he is her attacker.

(The whole thing isn't something I have some answer in mind for. My interest is how you approach the basic situation, we wouldn't have any "answer" either before we made a choice of action.)
    Last edited by detective; August 14th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    NOTE FROM OP

PS: You Can't See Out From Where You Are
    Sorry, I can see out if someone is pounding on my doors.
    357and40 and dukalmighty like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Sorry, I can see out if someone is pounding on my doors.
    Well, If you couldn't....
    (be an actor: what would do if you can't see out)

Or put that in: you can see out, you see an hysterical woman screaming, it's looks the same as you'd expect to it to look from her screamed words.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Immediately dial 911 while I turn on exterior lights & turn off interior lights. View exterior from bedroom window for threats. Advise person at door cops are on the way and try to ID person. If it's a neighbor or someone I know well, I'll let them in. If not, I advise wife of the situation, turn 911 over to her, then I monitor from inside (but not right in front of the door) to see the stranger's reaction to my saying the cops are on the way. Wife will be covering the approach to the front of the house with a long-arm while on the phone with 911. If the woman remains there, I'll likely do a quick visual check of the other entrances to my house which I can do from other upstairs rooms. The dog will alert us to anyone else in the house or trying to get in. Then we wait. If a man shows up the wife challenges him from the darkened bedroom window telling him to "stop right there", "stay away", and "cops are coming", while I exit the rear of the house and circle to provide cover from concealment at the opposite end of the house; probably with the 12-gauge. If he doesn't leave, I tell him "Walk away while you still can". This lets him know that there are more than one of us and he is flanked. It also plants the suggestion of danger to himself. If he leaves, perfect. If he presents a gun toward us we engage. If he presents a knife and rushes toward the house we engage. If he continues to walk toward the house without showing a weapon, I move to intercept with pepper spray while staying out of wife's field of fire.
    Wait for the cops.

Upon thinking this through several ways it appears that the best (safest) course of action is to deny entry to an unknown person and remain inside where any shooting is likely to be deemed justified. Intercepting the man to protect the woman puts her at my back and puts me in close quarters without a good reason to shoot. That means I'd be limited to pepper spray and/or my martial arts skills. While I am quite skilled at hand-to-hand, I prefer not to get involved if possible. What if he closes and then pulls a knife? Although trained for it, I don't want to have to deal with that. There is also the possibility of a hysterical woman running out into our field of fire. Perhaps a reasonable alternative is to drag the woman inside as soon as her story is verified by the man showing up. She would have to be under guard however. Dang!

On third thought, too bad for you lady, you ought to be more careful.

Tricky question!

I always have one of my pistols in hand if I am called to the door. I can see outside (through a window, not a peephole), so I can tell rather quickly if I might need to unsafe my gun.

To answer the question, I would most likely let a hysterical, threatened woman into my house, but she would be kept covered by a weapon and beyond arms length until I could get to the bottom of the issue at hand and get 911 dialed and help on the way. Anybody running up to my house as she enters will most likely get themselves shot.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    I'd advise her to stay put and call 911. I will not open my door until there are headlights in the drive and strobes flashing. As heartless as it may sound to some, my first responsibility is to myself and family. The young lady should have taken responsibility for her own safety and well being long ago.
    dukalmighty, W9HDG and johnmed3 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I hate to say it, yet again... I am not a cop and there are a lot of sick people out there. It is my job to call the police, keep a vigilant eye out, and keep myself & my family alive.

Late at night I answer the door with my hand on my firearm and with the door still closed until I am certain I feel safe in opening it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd advise her to stay put and call 911. I will not open my door until there are headlights in the drive and strobes flashing. As heartless as it may sound to some, my first responsibility is to myself and family. The young lady should have taken responsibility for her own safety and well being long ago.
    Yep, pretty much sums it up for me. It does sound almost heartless, but I CANNOT risk the safety of my family or even myself for a stranger.
    W9HDG and akav8er like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I posted this on a similar thread a couple of years ago:

I can only hope if one of my family members, or anyone else's here has to run to a stranger's house for help they are met with a more compassionate response than a yell through the door that 911 has been called and "Hold on, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
    For God's sake people, responses like many here (my family is most important, I have no responsibility for strangers, she should have taken steps to defend herself, etc.) are exactly what is wrong with our society.

I'd let her in, unless is was an obvious ruse. I'd be cautious of course, and anyone attempting to follow her in would be immediately shot, by either me or my wife, obvious weapon or not. Yes, I would also instantly contact law enforcement, and yes, I would keep her secure and observed in a single room, but I would help her. That is what civilized people do.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VICTIM! At The Door, Late Night, What Do You Do??
    Either you have already made your first mistake or your scenario is setup with an unrealistic omniscient given. How do you know the woman is a victim? You said it yourself, you can't see anything going on.

There is a whole world of difference between knowing she is a victim and knowing you have a woman on your porch screaming and carrying on like she is a victim.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links