Scenario: You come home from work & ........

This is a discussion on Scenario: You come home from work & ........ within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tacman, I've posted the head animation before. The red target is the medulla oblongata. I'm sure you, and many here already know that. As you ...

View Poll Results: What is your response

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell the guy to drop it or die

17 13.49%
  • Shoot him in the head & call the police

80 63.49%
  • Let him escape with your child & call the police

0 0%
  • Try to reason with him & tell him that his only way out is to let your child go.

38 30.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Scenario: You come home from work & ........

Tacman,

I've posted the head animation before. The red target is the medulla oblongata. I'm sure you, and many here already know that.

As you have said... Even if you could guarantee vaporizing it, there might be something else that causes the involuntary trigger pull.

In addition to it being a small target, it's invisible, it's covered by hair,a ball cap, a hoodie, whatever... And, it's moving.

Will your handgun ammo pierce the skull with no deflection, and vaporize the contents of the head in near proximity to the M.O.? A rifle bullet will, most likely... But I question a handgun round doing so.

Once the muzzle is off my child, THEN it's ON. But, frankly, if the guy puts his gun down... And starts walkin', he's free to go.

LEO was called before I ever started clearing the house. And honestly, I don't think it's wise to clear even your own home alone, so I probably wouldn't do that. But the OP gave the scenario, and I answered the original, with little embellishment.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. If you were the BG in this scenario and the father shot you and grazed you, would you try and shoot the guy with the gun trying to kill you or shoot the little kid out of spite?
    WoW! That's a hard one.
    I think I would use the child as s shield, hold him/her higher so Dad couldn't get another head shot off. Force him to retreat and attempt to get away.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    Once there is no threat of injury or death, there's no reason to shoot him. If he puts down his weapon and my family gets safely out of the house, I'd hold him at gunpoint on the floor until the police get there.

But I wouldn't just unleash him on my neighbors, or give him another shot at my home or family with the benefit of a trial run behind him.
    Are you saying there is no scenario at all where you would let him leave?

Quote Originally Posted by tarcher View Post
    WoW! That's a hard one.
    I think I would use the child as s shield, hold him/her higher so Dad couldn't get another head shot off. Force him to retreat and attempt to get away.
    Agreed... at that point killing the child would be signing your own death warrant for sure. So I would see the BG either trying to shoot the father or trying like hell to get away and not get shot. I realize in this scenario we are talking about a super-evil BG that would kill kids for fun even though he knew he would die if he did, but in real life the BG seem to not want to get shot anymore. Just watch the Keystone Cop falling-all-over-each-other videos.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Are you saying there is no scenario at all where you would let him leave?
    If my family is safe and I have him at gunpoint? I can't think of one, but you're free to try out some scenarios.

I do think that letting him walk, then "hounding the police" to catch him is ridiculous though. I'd apologize to the police and my neighbors, then do everything I could to help them correct my mistake. Then pray he's caught before he kills someone else's kid or wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Fight to the end. Here is an article that addresses this sort of thing. Can't buy into the "Run out and get help", but my wife and I have discussed this and agree that we won't be tied up or taken to another location.

The Truth about Violence : 3 Principles of Self-Defense : Sam Harris
    Thank you for sharing this article. It provides great insight and food for thought.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm going to shoot him as soon as I see him, his reactions are no faster than mine! I would have been ready prior to entering the bedroom.
    +1!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarcher View Post
    Before you pull the trigger, you have to consider your ability, Can you hit a 6" diameter moving target?? If you graze him all it will do is piss him off and chances are your child will be killed.
    NOW, that being said, I would take the shot and 9 more.
    I wouldn't just shoot once; it would be multiple shots while moving closer to make sure I stop him.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm going to shoot him as soon as I see him, his reactions are no faster than mine! I would have been ready prior to entering the bedroom.
    And he would be ready for you since in the scenario you knocked on the door first. So you hit him first betting on the fact that some reaction from him will not pull the trigger and blow your little girls head off.

The more I think of this scenario and the fact that a lot of folks are saying they will kick the door in, acquire the target in no time flat, shoot him in the head this is my conclusion:The most likely person coming out of this alive is the Dad.
    1. Dad shoots BG
    2. BG squeezes trigger and blows of girls head
    3. Dad does follow up shot to BG just to make sure

Dad is never in danger because in the scenario the gun is never pointed at him.
    tacman605 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    But if you opened that door and found a shaking 17 year old who was obviously scared out of his mind and the first thing he said was, "I don't want to hurt anyone. Just let me go! I'll let her go if you just let me go!" Would that change things?
    They may not be immediately shot in the face, but they had better put the gun down before I fire. I have seen too many "troubled teens" kill innocent people. They created the situation, they way I see it they have only one option - immediate surrender. There is no time for parley or negotiation.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Verbal Judo.
    limatunes likes this.

A person has to know their abilities AND limitations. At that particular moment in time, given the circumstances, knowing your abilities and limitations under stress, with that particular weapon, you better have no doubt in your mind whatsoever if you choose to take the shot. The consequences are too dire otherwise. The amount of training and life circumstances necessary to have that amount of confidence to take the shot is extraordinary.

Ask yourself a question. How many "certain death" experiences have you faced in your life (which by nothing short of a miracle you survived)? How does your body and mind react to them? I've had several, and my body and mind experience and overwhelming sense of calm and everything seems to happen in slow motion. Everything is clear and focused. That is the only reason I did survive each one of them. If you have had experiences such as this in the past, think long and hard to recount your body's auto-metaphysical and mind's emotional stress response at that level. If you haven't, you won't know until you get there. If you are not one of the super rare to have this type of response occur naturally, then the amount of training to develop this type of response is mind boggling.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    A person has to know their abilities AND limitations. At that particular moment in time, given the circumstances, knowing your abilities and limitations under stress, with that particular weapon, you better have no doubt in your mind whatsoever if you choose to take the shot. The consequences are too dire otherwise. The amount of training and life circumstances necessary to have that amount of confidence to take the shot is extraordinary.

Ask yourself a question. How many "certain death" experiences have you faced in your life (which by nothing short of a miracle you survived)? How does your body and mind react to them? I've had several, and my body and mind experience and overwhelming sense of calm and everything seems to happen in slow motion. Everything is clear and focused. That is the only reason I did survive each one of them. If you have had experiences such as this in the past, think long and hard to recount your body's auto-metaphysical and mind's emotional stress response at that level. If you haven't, you won't know until you get there. If you are not one of the super rare to have this type of response occur naturally, then the amount of training to develop this type of response is mind boggling.
    My experience has been the same as yours BD. It is almost like an out of body experience where calm, focus & deliberate action seem to take control.

But, I've also been in situations where the guy I thought would be the best pic to have in a fight because of his advanced training wets himself, panics & cries like a baby when faced with death. Conversely, the wimp that you thought would fold under the pressure would stand up & have your back.

I honestly believe "mindset" plays just as vital of a roll as "training", if not more so.

My wife is an excellent example of this. She hasn't had any "official" military or leo training. She's never been in a fight that I know about. But, she's been through some bad stuff; (including being raped at 12yr old & again in college).

I've seen her handle some real difficult things in life and I know of nobody else in the world that I would want to have an AR & HG in her hands watching my back in a firefight.

-

Try talking. The very moment he starts to talk, pop him. The human brain isnt built to multitask in a high stress environment. As soon as he focuses on talking to you, your reaction and the bullet travel at a few feet will be way faster than his ability to fire.

Links