Scenario: You come home from work & ........ - Page 5

Scenario: You come home from work & ........

This is a discussion on Scenario: You come home from work & ........ within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In any case this would be a very high stress scenario, & it's the reason why I posted it. I do think these are good ...

View Poll Results: What is your response

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell the guy to drop it or die

17 13.49%
  • Shoot him in the head & call the police

80 63.49%
  • Let him escape with your child & call the police

0 0%
  • Try to reason with him & tell him that his only way out is to let your child go.

38 30.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Scenario: You come home from work & ........

In any case this would be a very high stress scenario, & it's the reason why I posted it. I do think these are good mental excercises & cause us to think what would we do or wouldn't do. Other posters comments are good in my opinion because they cause you to reconsider your position for a possibly better position but that's what these were originally intended for to begin with I assume.

Aim my weapon at the center of his forehead and pull the trigger. Next......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    For those of you who would wait to call the police due to long response times and/or lack of trust in their ability to respond properly to this type of situation:

Isn't that all the more reason to get them on their way NOW? If their travel time is long, it doesn't make any sense to lengthen it by waiting to call until later. Also, if your trust in the ability of your local LEO's is lacking, let the dispatcher know that a SWAT/Tac team may be needed, this could vastly improve their response time as well.
    tricolordad and limatunes like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You haven't trained for close quarters or force-on-force??? Put your pants back on and train.
    I prefer to live the way I have lived for 70 years without a hint of violence of any kind. I am not CC 24/7 and, actually, very rarely are walking around CC (my firearm protects me in my home and in my car). I consider SA to be my best friend and it has served me well for 7 decades. If you enter my house forcibly you will die. If you enter my occupied car forcibly you will die. It may not meet your standards and that of many on these forums but it meets mine. I will only meet force on my terms (in my house or my car) or when there is no retreat possible under limited conditions and scenarios that I cannot really control, but do have my firearm with me. I practice at 30 ft max and do not see any reason in my life to be discharging my firearm at a distance that I can retreat from.Have a safe life and thank you for your advice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I prefer to live the way I have lived for 70 years without a hint of violence of any kind. I am not CC 24/7 and, actually, very rarely are walking around CC (my firearm protects me in my home and in my car). I consider SA to be my best friend and it has served me well for 7 decades. If you enter my house forcibly you will die. If you enter my occupied car forcibly you will die. It may not meet your standards and that of many on these forums but it meets mine. I will only meet force on my terms (in my house or my car) or when there is no retreat possible under limited conditions and scenarios that I cannot really control, but do have my firearm with me. I practice at 30 ft max and do not see any reason in my life to be discharging my firearm at a distance that I can retreat from.Have a safe life and thank you for your advice.
    Okey, dokey then.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    For those of you who would wait to call the police due to long response times and/or lack of trust in their ability to respond properly to this type of situation:

Isn't that all the more reason to get them on their way NOW? If their travel time is long, it doesn't make any sense to lengthen it by waiting to call until later. Also, if your trust in the ability of your local LEO's is lacking, let the dispatcher know that a SWAT/Tac team may be needed, this could vastly improve their response time as well.
    Not only for the law side, but medical as well. If your worried about any injuries to your loved ones and going in to fight it out, I'd like to at least have an ambulance in route and even then they might not enter until LE is on scene. Delaying calling 9-1-1 is a bad deal all around imho.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not only for the law side, but medical as well. If your worried about any injuries to your loved ones and going in to fight it out, I'd like to at least have an ambulance in route and even then they might not enter until LE is on scene. Delaying calling 9-1-1 is a bad deal all around imho.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.
    I can definitely see the point you're making. It would still depend on the urgency of the situation.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do all on your own. But, if there is time & you are sure a 911 operator yelling textbook instructions in your ear wouldn't create more problems than it helped, then by all means call 911 first. (I would under "MOST" circumstances. But, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule.)

-

VIP Member
    I'm reading a lot of answers from both sides of the fence, that are likely the right choice, given the unspecified details of the scenario and the abilities of the homeowner.

Suntzu called it early when he said that there are too many variables to accurately assign a correct answer on an online forum.

What is important is that we think about these things. Decide what is bravado, and what is real within us. Take a hard look at our own skill sets, and if they are not up to snuff for this situation, get the training to hone those skills.

For me, it's also important to pre-determine my likely response. I don't want to be standing there thinking about it. Ya'll can likely guess my response, but it may surprise you (and me) once I'm there looking into the abyss... Or not.
    JD and tacman605 like this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I can definitely see the point you're making. It would still depend on the urgency of the situation.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do all on your own. But, if there is time & you are sure a 911 operator yelling textbook instructions in your ear wouldn't create more problems than it helped, then by all means call 911 first. (I would under "MOST" circumstances. But, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule.)

-
    No one said you have to stay on the line with them while searching your home.

Hi 911, I just returned home to to find "X", I have reason to believe that bad guys are in my house and my family may be injured, send PD and 1st Responders. this is my description, I'm armed and going in to search for my family *CLICK* They have recorders, they can play back your call. Don't even give them a chance to speak if you think you're that short of time. But get the ball rolling on some support.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    No one said you have to stay on the line with them while searching your home.

Hi 911, I just returned home to to find "X", I have reason to believe that bad guys are in my house and my family may be injured, send PD and 1st Responders. this is my description, I'm armed and going in to search for my family *CLICK* They have recorders, they can play back your call. Don't even give them a chance to speak if you think you're that short of time. But get the ball rolling on some support.
    That's probably what I would do and say. I wouldn't stay on line
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

I voted shoot him in the head and call the police. This all depends on what I see when I enter the room. If I see a large quantity of legs, knees, feet more than a head, that is where I am firing as there won't be any talking. You start talking to this person and it's his game. Taking hits in those areas is going to reset his OODA loop many times even to dropping the child,which is when I zipper him as he is falling to the floor. At short range I will not be blinding anyone but will mess up their and my hearing. I shoot 5,000 rounds each year without a laser and have FO Front Sights on all my guns. Anything under 5 yards is point shooting, but in this case it would be 2 handed aimed fire away from my Granddaughter. Yes there are Gun Fighting courses out there that do challenges similar to this with Air Soft. No one can be trained for all of the different challenges that can be present in todays society. You do have to have some basic skills that can be put to use immediately. Practice helps greatly in this endeavor.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hopefully the BG and your granddaughter are very cooperative and react the way you have it played out in your mind. Good luck though, it is a personal chioce to make.

I was a bit glib in my first response. What I posted was the end of the scenario as I see it. If I pulled in a saw, what was described by the OP, I would call 911, exit my vehicle, Get inside my home and make myself the target rather than my loved ones. I would act in a manor not becoming a good human being. In the end, I will bring a level of violence upon them that they would not expect. I have worked with my family as well. That being said, I have prepared for this type of situation, in training and mindset conditioning.

I understand that some here might not have the same view as myself, and I am fine with that. Everyone has to judge what they can, and cannot do. This comes from experience and training. Our Intent should not be to KILL people, but the job is to end the threat and sometimes the best way to do that is to kill the threat.
    JD likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

If I come home and find anybody else in my house with a gun, then one of us is going to die. Or all of us. Results may vary.

This is kind of a vague scenario...what kind of gun does he have? A handgun to the head suggests that he's close, but a shotgun or rifle, I don't have to worry about hitting my kids...always good to have a BUP. I have a backup plan, its called wife with a pistol grip pump. She never answers the door without it and we both keep our weapons within reach at all times. That and the dog.

Does it have to be the head? I'm almost positive I'd hit him in the neck and face.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFLYFYTER View Post
    I don't know where you all live, but around here they don't send the swat team out for a broken door. To get a timely response, you would have to lie. It would be a long time before anyone showed up for a broken door. What do you tell them? Shots fired? Hostages? Dog died? When an officer does arrive on scene, he will have to deal with you first. If you have your gun out, that will take 15 minutes, as you will most likely be cuffed. If you don't have you weapon drawn, it will take 10 minutes to be disarmed and identified. Best case, you are looking at 30 minutes before any law enforcement even looks at the door. Then you will have 2 or 3 non trained officers clearing your house. That does not sound like good odds to me. Meanwhile, your family lost too much blood, and died. The perp got away by walking out the back door while you were proving your innocence. Does this really sound like a viable option?
    Around here it's about the same. The sad thing is that I have 3 neighbors within 2 miles that are on the sex offender registry. One is a quarter mile away. This is why your significant other should always be armed. Even though I am a veteran, young and very fit, I do not leave my door unlocked. In your own home its too easy to ignore certain sounds that would put you on alert at another location. My wife has been taught the same. Door stays locked, if it's dark and I'm not home, the dog stays unchained.

In the few events I've had to call 911 in the last few years, once I held an intruder at gunpoint while the deputy responded from 25 miles away although the city police could drive the quarter mile outside the city limits and respond IMMEDIATELY, Lt. Samelstad. (I know you're on this site...) and another I chased an intruder I surprised in my kitchen on foot through snow and ice and cornfields and lost him and had time to walk slowly back home warm up and eat breakfast before the police arrived, which was 45 minutes after the call. I am technically outside of city limits unless you're referencing the map in the City Hall, but only 2/3 mile from the New Richmond Police Dept. They don't show up when there's a problem, but they do when I'm target practicing to "make sure things are on the ups" and even more so when you have a tail light out. Pffffttt sick of the cowardice. My 4 year old has more guts.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links