OK Here Is A Video For You. This Is Bizarre

This is a discussion on OK Here Is A Video For You. This Is Bizarre within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I actually was asked if I would be interested in running for a position on the school board by a friend that was on the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: OK Here Is A Video For You. This Is Bizarre

I actually was asked if I would be interested in running for a position on the school board by a friend that was on the board. We were both already members of the Athletic Booster Club for the school. I sat in a couple of school board meetings where teachers, cooks and bus drivers were begging to have their jobs saved. I decided it wasn't something I would want to have to decide, who stays, who looses their job. In the current state of the economy this is a real tough job. Many thanks to those that are willing to step up and do the job. I also want to commend those in this situation that were able to remain calm enough to get as many people out of the room as possible.

2. Remove Ads

It looks like there is a side enterance. Get family out and head to the side enterance to cover the gunman.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Administrator
    Getting the facts correct on the vid. Much appreciated.
    I actually came across it in the wee hours and just stuck quick like it on this morning.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Lima. You know how hard it is to find a good purse these days? And the price? Even knockoffs are getting as bad as the real thing. No self respecting girl with a decent bag is just gonna run off and leave it, gun or no gun.

Just kidding I did not notice that the first time around. The gunman did not seemed concerned with that fact either.

If anyone has any links to more video or pics of the room let me know. I would really like to know what size area we are dealing with and how many folks were in there when this started.

It is good to see the variety of answers posted. I was thinking about the side entrance to. The gunman after the purse attack allowed the other woman to simply walk behind him and exit the room. There would have been several opprotunities to take action. As far as the warning, your choice. If I was in the side entrance or in a postion of cover I probably would give a verbal challenge but the gunman has already stated his commitment to his actions so there probably be little chance that he would give up.
    He did not seem to hesitate when confronted by the security officer.
    limatunes likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I remember this one. I'd get my family out and consider intervening. It'd be tough though; you'd have to use the side door to avoid hitting the board members.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Purse lady missed a golden opportunity to disarm him (and even take him down) when she walked right by him. Gun was pointed straight down and he was not even paying much attention to her. They were all very lucky that day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Just curious.

Let's say for whatever reason you were allowed to carry and you were sitting in the audience with your wife.

When he told the audience to leave would you? Would you send your wife out and stay behind?

At what point do you feel you could/would you have legally intervened?

Would, in the distances presented on camera, this is a large room, would/could you make the shot with your carry gun and be effective?

Would you take the shot from where you were or angle or close the distance for a better shot if folks were behind him?

Would you give a warning? Would you wait for him to turn or shoot him in the back?

There are no wrong answers. Some would simply leave and get their family to safety and there is nothing wrong with that. Those that would stay and engage how and when would you do it?

Would I leave if I was armed?
    NO.
    He was in no hurry to shoot right away.
    As soon as he presented the firearm and was 5-7 ft. away from anyone he would have caught several rounds.
    Distance would NOT have been a factor in that room.
    No warning. He brought this, violence begets violence.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I might have exited the rear and then circled around to the right side entrance where purse lady re-appeared. Then, wait for an opportunity.

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany
    I watched the whole Video on Youtube (it's in one of the related videos linked on YT - i think you know how to find it if you want to see it). Seems to me like one of the chairmen is kind of blaming the security guard for shooting the BG, saying something like "Geez, Mike, he only had blanks, they're not real, they were only blanks...".
    Regards, Mike

The german american, now living in Germany, but surely missing home!

Just curious.

Let's say for whatever reason you were allowed to carry and you were sitting in the audience with your wife.

When he told the audience to leave would you? Would you send your wife out and stay behind?

At what point do you feel you could/would you have legally intervened?

Would, in the distances presented on camera, this is a large room, would/could you make the shot with your carry gun and be effective?

Would you take the shot from where you were or angle or close the distance for a better shot if folks were behind him?

Would you give a warning? Would you wait for him to turn or shoot him in the back?

There are no wrong answers. Some would simply leave and get their family to safety and there is nothing wrong with that. Those that would stay and engage how and when would you do it?
    OPTION 1:

In meetings like those, I normally pick a seat near the back of the auditorium, just as I do in church. It allows me to view everything in front of me, and in most circumstances, anyone entering from the rear of the auditorium would most likely walk past me before they noticed me, providing they were focused as the BG seemed to be.

Because of MY positioning, the wife would immediately leave the auditorium. Her safety is most probably assured at this point.

Facing the BG's back, it appears as if I were to decide to engage, prior to leaving the auditorium, I would move/angle to MY left, giving me the most potentially open backstop for any shots I took. By moving to MY right, I would have the other four gentleman on the left of the podium directly in my backstop. So definitely move/angle left.

The auditorium has a couple of aisles leading toward the front. IF I decided to engage, I would be moving toward the BG, because in his demands/directions to the audience, he basically turns his back on them as they exit. His attention is directed on the gentleman in the middle of the podium and the fella in the red coat to the right.

I would give NO warning to the BG if he didn't notice me. His choices have been made when he presents his weapon to the room. There is no room for conversation from me at that point. I'm perfectly happy to let him converse with the board members as I move. Surprise is my friend..The legality of my responding would be at the moment HE presented his weapon. At that point, my life, the life of my wife, and everyone else in that room is in jeopardy.

My EDC is a Glock 19. I think it would be sufficient for the situation. IF I were to engage, would/could I make the shot? Focus is a funny thing. It can work to your advantage if you let it. The adrenaline rush will be my driving force. I've got 15+1 to make the shot. I HAVE THE ADVANTAGE because the BG is NOT expecting any type of resistance based on his nonchalant actions during the event. I have the confidence in my abilities that I could make the shot(s). Would I take the shot with his back to me...YOU BET I WOULD!

So, usher the wife out, close at an angle to the left, on the BG, during the confusion of everyone exiting and his focus on the board members. No conversation, no warning to the BG. It appears, guesstimating the size/distances in the room, that the back of the auditorium would probably be 50 feet or so from the podium. Begin taking my shots, as I close, until the threat is eliminated.

OPTION 2:

Exit with the wife, find the way to the side entrance/exit into the auditorium. Distance would probably be 15 feet or less once I stepped into the doorway and took my initial shot(s). Surprise would be on my side immediately. No worries on backstop as the auditorium behind the BG would be empty. No warnings.. Legal shoot from the first shot. You have "cover" to step back if you needed it. YOU have total control in this choice in my opinion.

My FINAL choice..most prob Option 2...but the overall situation would dictate in the moment....JMO
    oneshot likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

If anyone has any links to more video or pics of the room let me know. I would really like to know what size area we are dealing with and how many folks were in there when this started
    This link shows the room better......
    Florida School Board Shooting - Deluxe Full Video - Enhanced with Subtitles - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Agree! As long as I know I won't over penetrate, and harm an innocent, I will go down fighting.
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The woman with the purse truly had more stones than brains.
    In a life and death situation, stones may count more than brains. THINK AND ACT! DON'T OVERTHINK! She decided that she wasn't going to be a sheeple and while her attack wasn't effective, it should have been the starting point for more of the hostages to also attack. What I learned from her is that we have to act, but when we do it has to be brutal and non-stop. Stop only when the threat is over.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Thanks Crowman.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    This woman had stones for brains.
    I think she was acting under the presumption that one of the males in the room would be helping disarm him. I.e. that everyone had the mindset to actively fight back against him.

Kudos to her. Was she right, probably not, but does she have some brass balls and refuse to be a victim? Hell yes!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links