Shooting at a car trying to run you down? - Page 2

Shooting at a car trying to run you down?

This is a discussion on Shooting at a car trying to run you down? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with Duk, as well as others. Best bet is to get moving in a direction that will be hard for the car to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Shooting at a car trying to run you down?

I agree with Duk, as well as others. Best bet is to get moving in a direction that will be hard for the car to follow and look for something to use as hard cover. Big tree, sturdy lightpost, something like that. A car may be able to swerve and hit you if you dive to one side at the last second, but they can't dance around a tree cartoon-style like a person or animal can.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I realize you are talking about in reality about shooting at vehicles but this came to mind.

Actually this very circumstance is used in teaching cops and others in the use of force.

A car is coming towards you with the intention of causing bodily harm. There is nowhere to go. You draw your weapon and fire into the windshield killing the driver. This would be a justified act of self defense.

Same car coming at you with the intention of causing you bodily harm. This time just as he gets to close you jump to safety. As the car passes you fire into the back window killing the driver. This is not a justified act of self defense. The direct, immediate threat is gone. It does not matter what he coulda, woulda done. If he goes down the street and turns around to come back the scenario starts all over again.

In regards to shooting at vehicles. Windshields can be tougher than they look, standing in front of a car speeding toward you while taking aim for a shot on the driver's head is harder than it looks on TV, and if you are lucky and hit the driver now you have to deal with a speeding car headed towards you with no one controlling it, now what?

As stated move laterally or opposite to the cars direction. Get behind something if possible. If you have to take the shot not much else to do.
    Regoria75 and Bardo like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Pull a Chuck Norris move and jump and kick the driver as you smash through the windshield!

US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Pull a Chuck Norris move and jump and kick the driver as you smash through the windshield!

This message was Chuck Norris approved.....
    mano3 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

That has to be the BEST most ridiculous scene on Television. But it is Chuck Norris
    mano3 likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Yep, that's the ticket! Run at the car! Leap into the air... Kick the driver into submission... Uh huh, done it many times....

Well... once anyway... and it wasn't the windshield... and I was only slowed down to about 40 MPH on my bike... and I barely put a $200 dent in the car... 2 years later, and $.25mm out of BC/BS pocket... I still walk with a limp... But it wasn't my head... honest, I did not hit my head... really. I feel much better now....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'd say if there was nowhere to run, no ditch or structure near enough, I would do what was nessasary to protect innocent life.

This is why I have a 10mm :) I don't like bullets bouncing off windshields ;)
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

I can't see this guy getting hit head on. It just seems like he was hit from behind. If I was faced with that situation and it was head on, I believe I'd get the f out of dodge and not even worry about the gun unless he crashed and got out.

my boy Clint Eastwood still does it with style

mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yeah, Clint has style, but I only counted four shots! Maybe two got edited out.
    barstoolguru likes this.

cj
    A car is really no different than any other situation: Ability/Opportunity/Jeopardy, and there are plenty of cases (more police incidents, but a few CCW holder stories spring to mind) where shooting at a driver has been justified.

A guy just driving down the street normally has the ability and opportunity, but isn't threatening you, so no jeopardy.

The drunk whose keys you've taken, ranting that he's going to run you over seems to have jeopardy (stated intent to do you harm) and possibly opportunity (he's in a potentially dangerous vehicle after all), but without keys, ability isn't there.

Someone threatening to run you down, but is on the other side of a concrete barricade screaming that he's going to run you over (jeopardy) while revving the engine (ability) but still can't get through the barrier at you (no opportunity).

Someone screaming that they're going to run you down, just missed you as you dove out of the way, and circling around to try again? You've got a pretty good justification to defend yourself. But establishing them all if someone's coming at you at 60 mph seems like it might be tough to argue until he's actually come close. Your questions 2 and 3? It's America...of course someone will try to use that against you, even if it's just the media.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Once again we find way too many people trained and educated by Hollywood. In the real world, even stuntmen get hurt.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Don't you just pop the vehicle in the fuel tank and blow it up?

Personnally, I putting my runners to work. Scoot now; shoot later.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Your going to be held resposible for everything that car does after you shoot at it.
    tacman605 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links