At a circle K tonight......road rage turned to armed roberery...kind of

This is a discussion on At a circle K tonight......road rage turned to armed roberery...kind of within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Brad426 Well, he said pretend I was the guy in the small truck and I wouldn't have instigated the situation. But never-the-less, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: At a circle K tonight......road rage turned to armed roberery...kind of

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Well, he said pretend I was the guy in the small truck and I wouldn't have instigated the situation. But never-the-less, not sure that, say, flipping a couple of guys off warrants an attack with a deadly weapon. Once it was to that point all bets are off.
    That will depend on the state law where it happens. In some states, if you instigate a confrontation, you have given up the claim of self defense. Bottom line, if someone starts following/chasing you in your vehicle, don't stop at the nearest convenience store or even traffic light (if you can avoid it). Call the police and drive directly to the nearest police station. In this case the guy in the white pick-up truck was involved in a hit and run, he didn't want the police involved. My guess would be either illegal alien, driving without a license, or DWI.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    That will depend on the state law where it happens. In some states, if you instigate a confrontation, you have given up the claim of self defense. Bottom line, if someone starts following/chasing you in your vehicle, don't stop at the nearest convenience store or even traffic light (if you can avoid it). Call the police and drive directly to the nearest police station. In this case the guy in the white pick-up truck was involved in a hit and run, he didn't want the police involved. My guess would be either illegal alien, driving without a license, or DWI.
    I understand, but regardless of what the legal and/or civil outcome will be, once there is a legitimate threat when my family is there (as they were in this scenario) all bets are officially off.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Agree with many of the other post; Family first, and let the police handle. But, I think Dunkin Donut coffee is better:)

If the coffee thing is going to become the focal point, I am going to have to cast a vote for Caribou Coffee...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sgb
    Certainly an interesting evening. Glad y'all kept safe.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Good enough. The only thing I would add as advice is that those Circle Ks and the like seem to be trouble magnets at night and not the best places to be taking the family for coffee.
    I wonder if they have any Waffle House's located in Circle K gas stations...now that would be a dirtbag magnet!

To the OP...
    I'd stay as far away from those kinds of incidents as possible. Simply call 911 and watch from a distance (if you have your gun, you should have your phone).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I avoid convenience stores completely after dark. Here in the greater Phoenix area, they really do attract social misfits. I'd sooner find a all-night supermarket and get my caffeine from a soft drink than take my chances with a Circle K or similar.
    SpencerB likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

what the heck is going on in Arizona? I recently moved to Peoria and after a month came back to Wis, Our realtor in phoenix told us the crime rate had sky rocketed recently there. That was all I needed to hear as my new job was 3rd shift, Back to the rural farm life for us the next few years, Bonus is I can shoot off the deck anytime I like without upsetting anyone. nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. I do miss the sunny weather however.

so this is how it goes down.
    As the saying goes, surprises happen when you least expect them.

Murphy's Law suggests that if things are going to blow sideways, they're going to do so at the worst possible time ... such as when you're out with those you most dearly love in this world.

I think you handled it fine. Getting them to safety and guarding against blowback was by far the most important goal in such a situation. If able, it would have been useful to get the license plate(s) involved, but that would be a distant second in terms of urgency.

Kudos. Y'all survived it, and you made it home intact. Goal achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I avoid convenience stores completely after dark ... they really do attract social misfits.
    Yeah, they're not called "Stop 'n' Robs" for nothing.

Keep yer left up ... and yer wits.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    what the heck is going on in Arizona? I recently moved to Peoria and after a month came back to Wis, Our realtor in phoenix told us the crime rate had sky rocketed recently there. That was all I needed to hear as my new job was 3rd shift, Back to the rural farm life for us the next few years, Bonus is I can shoot off the deck anytime I like without upsetting anyone. nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. I do miss the sunny weather however.
    Actually, Peoria is one of the better zip codes, but the closer you are to Phoenix proper the rougher it gets. Phoenix is at the crossroads of two major interstates and with the population density (58% of AZ lives in Maricopa County) it's fairly easy to disappear if you're smuggling drugs or humans. And both of those "commodities" breed related crimes at an exponential rate. Add the high unemployment rate which has about the same demographics as the hard-drug users (gee, think that's just a statistical coincidence?), and you have a high property crime rate - which ultimately feeds a high rate of violent crime. But don't be misled into thinking this just happened overnight or even recently - it's been building at about the same rate as the economy has been suffering. I put very little credence in your realtor's statement.

Enforcing the existing laws (all of them please, not just the ones you like) goes a long way but it's like bailing the Titanic with a teacup.

Sorry you felt you had to bail out before giving it a fair shake. Arizona really is turning things around, with a lot of growth in high-tech industries (semiconductors and aerospace) and the 2nd-tier businesses that support them. As long as we don't fall into the trap (again) of building houses first and hoping people will buy them, there really is a good future here.
    tbrenke likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Maybe he was involved in hit & Run, or maybe he was minding his own business BEHIND the young guys at a traffic light when THEY intentionally backed into him, then claimed that he rear-ended them and demanded $300 cash or they would call the cops......it could have gone down either way.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Sounds like you did good, your family is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Actually, Peoria is one of the better zip codes, but the closer you are to Phoenix proper the rougher it gets. I put very little credence in your realtor's statement.

Arizona really is turning things around, with a lot of growth in high-tech industries (semiconductors and aerospace) and the 2nd-tier businesses that support them.
    I could not agree with you more.
    I do live in Pieoria. we moved down here from the Seattle area and I have no plans on ever leaving. I am employed as an electronic designed for one of the burn in manufacturers. I ride my bike to work every day and have only been hit with the rain twice in the last year and a half.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    That would depend on if you instigated the confrontation.
    Not to argue. But, I don't agree with this completely.

Let's say your the guy in the small truck & you did hit someone & leave the scene. You could be scene as the instigator because legally you are guilty of criminal action against the guys in the big truck.

However!
    That does NOT give the guys in the big truck the right to chase you down and damage your vehicle. It certainly doesn't give them the right to threaten you with bodily injury; nor commit assault & battery upon your person.

I really don't know AZ law. But, it appears the man in the small truck may have had justification to respond with deadly force after being attacked by the two younger armed assailants. Despite the fact he may have committed a hit & run.

-

First, to the OP. You did good keeping you and your family out of harms ways.

Second, as to the scenario that Bill MO threw out there. If the OP were in the little truck with his wife and child, IMO he would have every right to defend himself and his family.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links