You're a Canadian border "guard"...what do you do?

You're a Canadian border "guard"...what do you do?

This is a discussion on You're a Canadian border "guard"...what do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Four Canadian border crossings were shut down Sunday as about 60 of Canada's unarmed border guards walked off the job after they were warned that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're a Canadian border "guard"...what do you do?

Red face You're a Canadian border "guard"...what do you do?

Four Canadian border crossings were shut down Sunday as about 60 of Canada's unarmed border guards walked off the job after they were warned that a person classified as "armed and dangerous" may be headed into Canada.

The walkouts — permitted when the guards perceive threats to their personal safety — began mid-afternoon and stalled northbound border traffic for hours.

Canada's national CTV News said the walkout was triggered by a report from Homeland Security officials in the U.S. who told the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that a suspected killer from California, considered armed and dangerous, might try to enter Canada.

Willie Hicks, branch chief for trade operations on the U.S. side, said the Canadians told him only that they'd been alerted that such a person may be en route.

Faith St. John, an official with the Canada Border Services Agency, told CTV that management staff has been called in to deal with the huge backlog of cars and trucks waiting to cross into Canada. "As more managers arrive, more lanes will be opened," she said.

By about 8:30 p.m., southbound traffic was flowing smoothly and northbound traffic was beginning to move, Hicks said.

Affected crossings were at the Peace Arch Park, for Interstate 5 and State Route 99; the Blaine truck crossing, for state routes 543 and 15l; Sumas, for state routes 9 and 11; and Lynden, for State Route 539.

There have been several such walkouts since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

In August, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Canada's border guards will be armed starting in September 2007.

Harper said it would take 10 years to fully implement the plan. The government will have at least 150 officers with sidearms deployed by the end of March 2008, Harper said at a news conference at one of the border crossing south of Vancouver, British Columbia

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    One of the first acts as our new Prime Minister, Harper promised to get the guards armed, despite the howls of it being declared “anti-Canadian” and an evil plot by our own “Bush-bot” by the anti-everything crowd.

The union has been pushing it for years, but our previous government ignored the problem and was rabidly anti-gun. This will work for us up here, the Customs people will become more knowledge and comfortable with firearms and the citizens will become more used to seeing firearms. There is a lot of public support now for this. Although I think the union needs to try to convince their members to have a bit more discretion about walking off the job, every time there is a possible threat. It will backfire on them if they use it to much.

Assistant Administrator
    I was unaware they were not armed

Well I sure hope that gets put right - long overdue.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    So I'm told a mad-dog killer who is armed and has already killed is headed to the border to cross. My government requires that I be unarmed, but gives me the option of leaving the area where the mad-dog killer may be. Hmmmm. So my decision is to stay on duty and have a remote chance of facing a mad-dog killer or do the political thing and walk off to try to force my government to accelerate the program that would allow me to be armed on the job.

I'm definitely walking out to try to force the government to arm me.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

JD
    Administrator
    are they actually going to be issued firearms or tables that turn into shields and clubs...oh wait, wrong counrty

The Canadians, The British, and The Australians...

will all learn...someday. The pendelum always goes back and forth. Sooner or later those societies will begin to demand self-defense...and it will come back...you'll see!

Protect your rights...Vote!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From Another Perspective...

If I'm a Canadian border guard, and there is no threat that I am aware of...

Well, Mr. American, when you come across and I spot the NRA sticker on your back window...I pull your car over and delay you for an hour or two, search you, your car, and generally just hassle you for my pleasure!

If I should find any illegal items, then I take your car, your first born, and fine you enough that your grandchildren will have nothing left your will.

If, however, I find nothing...you are free to put the trashed inventory of your vacation back in the car by yourself and be on your way...enjoy your stay in Canada...

I've never been back!

If you think I am kidding...ask around to those who have traveled north!

Attention...this is not an opinion...actions on your border crossing may vary!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smile The same thing East German Guards did!

I'd jump over the border to freedom. Then I'd get my own gun.

1943 - 2009
    The same thing happened earlier this year at the Port of Roosville, the Canadian border crossing north of Eureka, Montana. An armed suspect was thought to be heading for the border, after trading shots with some county deputies and city cops.

As I recall, it was late at night and there was only one unarmed Canadian Customs inspector (a female) on duty at the border. When she got the alert, she locked up and went home. The suspect was caught before he got to the border.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I Heard That Border Guard's Words...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    The same thing happened earlier this year at the Port of Roosville, the Canadian border crossing north of Eureka, Montana. An armed suspect was thought to be heading for the border, after trading shots with some county deputies and city cops.

As I recall, it was late at night and there was only one unarmed Canadian Customs inspector (a female) on duty at the border. When she got the alert, she locked up and went home. The suspect was caught before he got to the border.
    "Who?...And he's coming where?...I'm outta here, eh?...Guard your own d*** country, eh?"

Stay safe...stay in the USA!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Does this happen frequently over there? I seem to recall earlier in the year a similar incident at the Canadian border with unarmed guards walking off due to an announcement of an armed criminal going in that direction.

Four Canadian border crossings were shut down Sunday as about 60 of Canada's unarmed border guards walked off the job ... triggered by a report from Homeland Security officials in the U.S. who told the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that a suspected killer from California, considered armed and dangerous, might try to enter Canada.
    60 folks walk off the job because one lone killer is said to be coming in their direction? Time to boost the training regimen for officers, I'd think. And to arm them, eh?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    OK, I've never had the "pleasure" of driving into Canada. Aren't there also US border guards there? Aren't our guys armed? If the Canadians leave, what stops the cars, especially the fanatical killer, from just cruising on in?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    My wife is Canadian (became a permenat resident last year) so we go to Canada quite often. Once when crossing the border in our truck with Alabama tags, an NRA sticker and "My other car is a Viking Longship" tag frame, the Canadian Border guard kept asking "Are you sure you are not carrying a fire arm" We did not get searched (never going into canada but sevearl times entering the U.S.) but I was asked the firearm question about a dozen times. I have carried up in the Boundry waters fishing were a probably crossed the border 2 or three times a day fishing and never declared (of course there are no roads border guards are defined borders) my fire arm fish or beer.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    What a silly country!! I really can't think of anything else to say.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links