An uneasy situation - Children & Airsoft not easily identified as such - Page 2

An uneasy situation - Children & Airsoft not easily identified as such

This is a discussion on An uneasy situation - Children & Airsoft not easily identified as such within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msgt/ret Insure intersection is clear, hammer down, call 911 while departing scene. ^^^^^^^^^^ That about sums it up....

View Poll Results: In the included situation would you use deadly force?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 12.90%
  • No

27 87.10%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: An uneasy situation - Children & Airsoft not easily identified as such

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Insure intersection is clear, hammer down, call 911 while departing scene.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

That about sums it up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sign of the times.

When I was a youngster, one of my "toy" guns was an actual (though inoperable) S&W .38 revolver. None of the neighbors ever said a word. Of course, that was back in the '50s and every household had guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We should take this serious. We all know that airsoft guns hurt and can be used as a good deterrent against bad people.......

On the flip side, if you are that scared, call 911, and get out of dodge.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    This is my airsoft gun. It has a full metal body and is licensed by H&K. Imagine the muzzle painted black, which I did have at one point for some pictures.. Ive handled a real MP5, not much difference to someone who hasnt.

Any questions?
    Yeah why are you painting the muzzle black
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dude, even if the group with the rifles was a known threat I wouldn't engage. I'd get small and punch it to get out of the kill zone ASAP and call the cops once I was clear. If my vehicle was disabled or I was hit my plans may change and involve trying to take cover and fight, but that would be a last resort. Stopping in the middle of an ambush to try to fight your way out of it when you are wildly outnumbered and outgunned is a great example of bad tactics any way you look at it. Especially bad when you have options that include distance, a working vehicle, and a clear route ahead of you.

By the time you drew and fired you could have been a block down the road.
    Last edited by sparkykb; September 2nd, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

VIP Member
    Look both ways an hit the gas.
    Call police

On a similarly serious note, here is another outcome of this situation in which the punk had a real firearm.

Nathaniel Abraham, killer at 11, sentenced in unrelated drug case | MLive.com
    Abraham, who pleaded guilty in November to possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, made national headlines when he fatally shot Ronnie Greene, 18, of Pontiac on Oct. 29, 1997. The then-11-year-old was arrested two days later and convicted in November 1999 of second-degree murder.

Greene never saw it coming.

Parents need to teach their children what not to point their guns at, even if they are only BB guns or airsoft.
    multistage likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I would escape and use the car as cover and drive to the next area and make a call to police.

There are times... oh nevermind...

Eh, heck with it.... I'd never do it... but ya know... sometimes these kids think it's cool.. and you also know that some have been killed by police who did not know it was a toy gun ...

Just once, I'd like to see 'em wet themselves... get out of the car and (because it's only done in hollywood...) rack the slide, pointing at the sky... and just see how they react.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    If you believe they are real guns, what are your chances of survival if you engage? If you believe they are toy guns, why would you engage?
    atctimmy likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Drive on, Call 911, hope they get a cop that can identify a toy gun...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am wondering where all the CCW warriors are. If this was in a mall would people engage to save the lives of others? I would not assume they were carrying airsoft guns as that could put my life in jeapordy and I would assume the worst. I don't know if they are some Al Quaeda sleeper cell or some radical Mormon militia or some left wing guerillas and I am not going to chance it. I would like to say I would draw and start putting rounds on target.

If it was a real threat you would most certainly lose trying to outdraw 4 armed men with rifles pointed at you while you are seated in a stationary vehicle. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean it is your best bet at survival or your only option. Odds of living increase with distance from the threat. Your foot on the gas pedal would give you the best chance at surviving.

Keeping vehicles moving and getting them out of the kill zone is Combat Convoy 101....and that is in heavily armed and armored vehicles.

As for the mall, I will only engage if I am confronted by the threat head on and have no option for seeking cover or escaping. I am not a cop. I am not the SWAT team. I am no longer an Infantryman. I don't have backup. I am an armed civilian and my job is to protect myself and my family, not clear a mall.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

First of all your scenario is rigged. It does not ask what I would do if stopped at an intersection and observed young men aiming rifles at me.

What you have asked me is if I would shoot at boys with airsoft rifles. You even painted them as evil by telling me they had shot animals with them. How would I know that?

But for the sake of answering what I think you intended to ask me; I am at intersection that I just stopped at. So my car or truck is running, foot is inches from the gas pedal and the car is pointed in what I assume to be a direction away from the attackers since you didn't say they 'approached' the vehicle.

The attackers already have weapons trained on me and need less than a second to pull the trigger. If I try to draw on them the best I could probably do is 2.5 seconds. Plus, with multiple attackers it would almost certainly be suicide. I might get one of them if I'm really good but I'm a sitting target for the other attackers as they only need to pull a trigger. (Don't like this one as I am not a big fan of being riddled with bullets).

In one second I could slam the gas pedal down as I duck and go through the intersection getting me off of the X. (I choose this one).

Self-Defense doesn't always require me to shoot someone. Avoiding the conflict is my best chance of survival. If I can't avoid it and I am threatened then prepare to be perforated.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I am wondering where all the CCW warriors are. If this was in a mall would people engage to save the lives of others? I would not assume they were carrying airsoft guns as that could put my life in jeapordy and I would assume the worst. I don't know if they are some Al Quaeda sleeper cell or some radical Mormon militia or some left wing guerillas and I am not going to chance it. I would like to say I would draw and start putting rounds on target.
    So there are a lot of 10 year old boy terrorist sleeper cells in the US these days?

Quote Originally Posted by rjwrightohio View Post
    Good evening, so a situation developed in my neighborhood which ended with me going over the situation again and again. A "what would i do?" type of event.

Group of boys (~10-15 years of age) were spotted in my area harassing animals with what is presently being reported as airsoft rifles or BB guns. The first person who saw this could not immediately identify if it was a "real" rifle as no orange was easily visible. I will leave the resulting drama out...

So you just left your home, stopping at the stop sign at the end of the street. You look over and your now facing a group of lads aiming their rifles at your vehicle with no identifiable markings suggesting these items are "toys". I racked this question back and forth however for me i believe this would have earned the boys a Darwin award, and me a therapist for my remaining years.

As fundamentally you cant ask "Excuse me sir, is that a real firearm or a fake as i am presently deciding to use lethal force on you". Google searches showed an alarming number of kids doing this to cops. But wanted to see if others would come to this similar conclusion or if i need to relax a bit.
    When I was a kid we had very realistic looking toy guns. Wooden stocks, steel barrels and working bolts or lever mechanisms. I do not recall the cops or anyone else killing the kids who were playing with them. I also do not recall to many parents at the time who did not teach their children not to point a weapon or anything that looked like one at strangers. I also remember that very few of my friends did not know the proper way to hand someone a knife, holding the blade and offering them the handle.

These things were all taught by the parents. Now days we wring our hands placing blame on the toy manufactures and police. All the while giving the parents a pass.

Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links