Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

This is a discussion on Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The cops called it a draw. He was "sorry" and promised to leave. He was still there when I got home the next morning, or ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The cops called it a draw. He was "sorry" and promised to leave. He was still there when I got home the next morning, or at least his truck was still there. They were probably all too drunk to drive. No I don't know these Deputies. I work in the next County over. New Sheriff elected last year, a lot of "cleansing" occurred (which was sorely needed).
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Guy on my property pointing a gun at my wife will either get shot immediately by my wife, or by one of us the next time he sets foot on my property.

Make sure that threat gets documented. In most jurisdictions, going into someone's yard and threatening them with a gun is frowned upon.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    Guy on my property pointing a gun at my wife will either get shot immediately by my wife, or by one of us the next time he sets foot on my property.

Make sure that threat gets documented. In most jurisdictions, going into someone's yard and threatening them with a gun is frowned upon.
    If it were me, I would certanly have a 'conversation' of sorts with this indivigual. Some things can not be apoligised for.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by geohans View Post
    Everybody else--- were you there?
    Nope. We're evaluating a situation based on details available at the time. Obviously, discussing scenarios, variations, implications is what we do in such threads. It provides suggestions, shows biases/assumptions, and very often proves how a little knowledge can be dangerous. It's all to the good.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    30s I believe.

So I have been off the net for a couple days. Let me clarify a couple points.

1. Neighbor's occasional visitor, who I'll call "Jerk," per his own admission saw my dog on his back porch about the same time Wife realized she had escaped enclosure (a section of fence was found broken on opposite side of yard).

2. Wife exited side gate to retrieve dog which is now in my front yard. Jerk in shadows tells Wife that dog is out in a calm voice. She replies that she knows and is out there to get her back inside.

3. As wife is bringing dog back to fence, Jerk pops out from behind cover (my shed) ON MY PROPERTY by a good 15 feet, pointing shotgun at dog (and wife) and threatens to shoot.

4. Many loud vulgar comments ensue about shooting dog because she is "vicious" and a threat to the neighbor (homeowner). Due to the yelling, the dog takes a "stance" from about 15 feet away. Wife tells Jerk to call 911 if he has a problem, and pleads with Jerk to stop yelling at dog, which is causing more of a problem (I think he was trying to provoke it to attack), has to forcefully pull dog into gate and then to door where older Son (12) takes dog and shuts door. All the while Jerk is shaking shotgun and loudly cursing and threatening to shoot dog even though dog is under control and restrained. Wife was telling jerk she is recovering from surgery and amputation and is doing the best she can. Jerk says "I don't care, I'm still going to shoot that !@#$ $%^& dog!" Wife, at door and out of frustration and fear, says, "I feel threatened by you, I am calling 911, and I have a gun too!" Jerk turns and goes back inside.

5. Dog has NEVER shown any "vicious" behavior. She barks. She has never approached neighbors before. I can certainly understand that a large dog barking at you while standing at the fence can be disconcerting. I myself have been bitten by a dog when I reached across a fence to pet it. Not one of the neighbors have ever expressed any concern of the dog being vicious. It would be a simple thing to let them come over and see she is a cupcake. Labradanes are not known to attack, rather they are lazy bums.

6. You don't make friends with a dog by taunting it. My 5 year old sometimes goes on the porch when the dogs go "potty." He told us that Jerk once threw water on the dog but we didn't see it ourselves. I and my other son have witnessed Jerk growling and screaming at the dog.

This is Bentley:

Attachment 62531Attachment 62532Attachment 62533Attachment 62534
    What about having him served with a trespass notice? I know generally they aren't worth the paper they are written on, but it would be a good paper trail should he act out again and your wife has to defend herself.

VIP Member

Where I live they'd call this murder. It's not really that great of a plan.....unless you like prison.

It's Not Black or White, But Rather The Color Of Gray!

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    NO; I didn't and like we say "there is more to the story then you think". Itís HIS house and he has a right to protect it so if there is trouble outside he has the right to defend his property. I am not saying he didn't over react; sounds like he did BUT it are still HIS house. Here we have a case of STAND YOUR GROUND; he has the right to be on his own property inside or out and has the right to safe guard it.

Did he get arrested....? NO.... why.... because he was within his rights. You can file a case with the DA but it will get dropped due to lack of evidence. If it was me I would make a peace offering like a cake or something and take it over and apologize for the whole thing and make peace. Be the bigger man/woman and admit fault and put it behind you
    It seems like to me, after reading the above quoted post, that you're only able to see situations in either black or white.. and not in that other color known as gray. Interesting.

FireStar M40

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Where I live they'd call this murder. It's not really that great of a plan.....unless you like prison.
    You should move then.

In SC, if someone comes on your property and threatens to shoot your wife, you are allowed to defend yourself.

It's hard for someone to claim innocence if they are inside your fenced backyard hiding behind your shed with a shotgun.
    OD* and blitzburgh like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You should move then.

In SC, if someone comes on your property and threatens to shoot your wife, you are allowed to defend yourself.

It's hard for someone to claim innocence if they are inside your fenced backyard hiding behind your shed with a shotgun.
    Well, he was outside the fence, which forms a perimeter smaller than my property line. The shed is connected to the fence.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    Sounds like you need to keep the dogs and wife on your property and he needs to keep his shotgun in the house. Glad the guy didnt get too crazy. Id keep a closer eye on him and the dogs. He is surely pissed now. He might try to poison your dogs or do something else stupid.
    Time to start thinking of a stockade large fence about 7 feet tall. This would keep the neighbor out, and your dog/ privacy inside your boundries.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Well, he was outside the fence, which forms a perimeter smaller than my property line. The shed is connected to the fence.
    Ah, OK that's different then. I had formed a different mental picture of the layout of the land.

VIP Member
    You should move then.

You said "the next time" he sets foot on your property you or your wife would shoot him. THAT would be murder.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You said "the next time" he sets foot on your property you or your wife would shoot him. THAT would be murder.
    I should have clarified and said "armed". The point was, I'm not waiting for him to point the weapon at my wife again if he's on my property.

Of course this was assuming this was all taking place on the OP's property - which it wasn't. So it's moot.

I should have clarified and said "armed". The point was, I'm not waiting for him to point the weapon at my wife again if he's on my property.
    And we should clarify the distinction between being prepared to fire if need be, versus actually engaging the person. State statutes vary in this regard, of course.

Myself, faced with a person that has such history who's making a very good imitation of approaching with similar demeanor/behavior, I'll be damned if I'm going to be lolling about utterly incapable of quickly reacting if he blew sideways again. Like you, I'm going to at least have my hand on the grip and clearly commanding him to stop/leave.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Your dog should NOT be roaming around the neighborhood. I too would be threatened if a large Labradane came onto MY property unleashed. I would be armed and ready to shoot also.

It is your responsibility to retain your own dog.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Links