Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound. - Page 13

Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

This is a discussion on Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is your wife doing? I hope her foot surgery was not compromised. We have a hard and fast rule at our house. "When the ...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

RAL
    How is your wife doing? I hope her foot surgery was not compromised.

We have a hard and fast rule at our house. "When the dog is out, we're out." I trust my dog. I don't trust other people. If something is going to happen to my dog, it will happen in my presence and they will have to deal with me.

To the person who posted the armed mouse picture: I LOVE it! I have saved the picture with the title, "Don't mouse with me!" LOL I am a, "Don't mouse with me momma!" LOLOL I will be sharing it with my sons. Thanks for the laughter!

RAL
    I was not implying any criticism by sharing our house rule!

Sometimes I wonder about this stuff. Of course he had no right to point a gun at your wife. But what if your dog was threatening his dog? His kid?

I have chickens & horses. And dogs.

Deleted

I'm not going to write more except to say that when there is a problem on my property, I normally grab my firearm before going out to address it. To protect myself and my stock. In the OPs scenario I would not point that firearm at a person but they most certainly might see a drawn gun.

(When I wrote 'normally,' I can say that fortunately that is very rare and it's always remained concealed up to now.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm not sure to whom to attribute this famous quote, "Good fences make good neighbors." Probably a fence salesman.
    lol I have always thought good fences make GREAT neighbors. I don't have their kids in my yards. Nor their animals. :0)
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I know that LEOs out here have a live and let live philosophy but he admitted pointing the shotgun at her (and he pumped it too). I just can't see NOT locking him up for at least a little while.
    Well obviously it's been a long thread but as we've all said here many times...if you think you need your firearm and it's out...what's the point of not having a round in the chamber?

I'm not justifying his actions in this particular situation but realistically if he wants to make a case that he felt threatened by the dog, an empty shotgun isnt going to support that.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    The guy was in his house. He was not in danger from the loose dog and apparently the dog was not damaging anything. Also, none of this would not have happened if the guy was not drunk, picking up a shotgun, and pointing it in a menacing manner.
    Does he have to wait until the dog damages something, like his garden or eats his cat, before he comes out of his house?

WHat happened to all the people who claim 'property rights!' prevail over all else? That you can demand anything you want on your own property? (That is how many seem to feel about carrying in posted businesses where the signs arent legally binding).

No he shouldnt have pointed a gun at the woman but he has the right to address a dog on his property and not hide in his home.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    Not with a weapon to protect property in Virginia. See above posts.
    That's a good point. Not here in WA either, however if I go out to investigate a problem on my property, I will be armed. I cant use force and/or lethal force unless there is a threat against me but I am not going to stay inside if there is a threat to my dogs or livestock. I would most likely stay inside if shouting and yelling I was calling 911 didnt work if someone was breaking into my vehicles or outbuildings. Get license plate #s, etc.
    Fortune favors the bold.

3. As wife is bringing dog back to fence, Jerk pops out from behind cover (my shed) ON MY PROPERTY by a good 15 feet, pointing shotgun at dog (and wife) and threatens to shoot.
    Well that changes just about everything in the thread, except pointing (not necessarily having) the shotgun. That was always unnecessary IMO.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    The way it should be to help your fellow man. Good job PPK.
    We also do it because if someone gets killed hitting our horses or cattle, it makes them look at more and more regulations/laws to slap on us. It's a matter of self-preservation for our lifestyles as more and more suburbanites try to move into rural areas.
    Fortune favors the bold.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Shortly after this happened, my mother-in-law had a progression of her cancer into the brain, etc. Wife took the kids to Texas to take care of her mom until the end, which is predicted to be withing weeks. No other problems with the neighbors. I think I'm going to put in an invisible fence inside the wood fence. I found a generic one that has three collars for $56 on eBay.

3 Dog Underground Fence System Set Electric Training Shock Collar Rechargeable | eBay
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Shortly after this happened, my mother-in-law had a progression of her cancer into the brain, etc. Wife took the kids to Texas to take care of her mom until the end, which is predicted to be withing weeks. No other problems with the neighbors. I think I'm going to put in an invisible fence inside the wood fence. I found a generic one that has three collars for $56 on eBay.

3 Dog Underground Fence System Set Electric Training Shock Collar Rechargeable | eBay
    Sorry to hear of this added stress on your wife and all your family.

Personally I'd go with solid, cant see thru, 5 or 6 foot board fencing. It's not cheap but cheaper than some consequences. Invisible fences have their drawbacks as well as their advantages. (As with anything I suppose.) Like an inviz fence may keep them in but prevents no one/nothing from coming in. (Altho I realize you still have your orig. fence)
    tundra likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Sponsored Links