Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound. - Page 2

Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

This is a discussion on Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by skew12 I could honestly never let it lie that he pointed a gun at my wife for zero reason. That's the first ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    I could honestly never let it lie that he pointed a gun at my wife for zero reason.
    That's the first thing I thought when I read paramedic70002's first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Get her an AR or AK with some 30 rd mags......
    I think a 44-40 in the right hands is just as lethal.
    goldshellback likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Dogs get out once in awhile, and the owner was chasing it down... which is called being responsible. Doesn't mean she then needs to put up with some jerk who wants to point a shotgun at her and threaten her.

Oh, that wouldn't get it at all. He committed assault with a weapon, and if he was drinking... that only adds another charge to it. I'ld be pushing it.
    Lish, OD*, Secret Spuk and 9 others like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hopefully it's not just a he said/she said for the police, when I had a crazy neighbor go after my then 3 year old with her car that's exactly what it was.

Hope this guy won't be a visitor much longer and moves on!

I know first hand about crazy neighbors. Mine are psychotic. Hopefully all went well and they at least carted the moron off to the drunk tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Dogs get out once in awhile, and the owner was chasing it down... which is called being responsible. Doesn't mean she then needs to put up with some jerk who wants to point a shotgun at her and threaten her.

Oh, that wouldn't get it at all. He committed assault with a weapon, and if he was drinking... that only adds another charge to it. I'ld be pushing it.

But this is looking at it from a reasonable persons point of view. Im sure the story this guy is telling the cops is he saw somebody trespassing in the yard, so he grabs his shotgun to check it out, when he does a dog tries to attack him, so he points the shotgun at it. Im sure he claims he never pointed the shotgun at the op's wife. So as a leo, what can you really do?
    Toorop, tcox4freedom and 9MMare like this.

Another good reason to invest in quality security cameras. Hope everything works out.
    mg27 likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    More info. He told the LEOs he was leaving, and that he was wrong for what he did. They reinforced that thought to him and cleared up. Animal control will be scheduling a visit to assess our dogs. Oh joy. Wife is debating getting a warrant. Grrr. As you might expect, I'm in the GET A WARRANT camp. She says, "He didn't point the gun at me, it was pointed at the dog, I just happened to be behind the dog. And he was only shaking it when he was yelling at me after Mike took the dog inside." To further inflame the situation, once she got control over the dog and had it heading toward the door, he continued to yell at it, causing it to phase into "protect human" mode and turn around barking, which he took as more proof he needed to shoot it. FWIW, in Virginia, you pretty much have to have maul marks before most Judges will accept a self defense claim; otherwise it is destruction of property. More good news, oldest son (12) witnessed part of the encounter (second brandishing charge?), and both of the boys are all hyped up about it.

As far as potential charges, I think Brandishing and Disorderly Conduct should stick at least.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ... neighbor just threatened to shoot my dog and my wife while pointing a shotgun at them. All because the Labradane escaped the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    He is within his right to not have a lose dog attack him. By law you have a responsibly to restrain your dog
    By law, people may not threaten murder, too. Nobody is within their rights to do that, ever.

Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy: this guy seems to have been doing a damnably good job at masquerading as a criminal in the act of threatening impending deadly force against another. Speaking of rights, sounds as though a person has all the right in the world to defend against such a thing.

A dog having escaped a fence (presuming that's all that occurred) is hardly justification for threatening to erase the dog, let alone threaten murder of another.

Obviously, if a large/able dog is actively threatening a person's life and limb, that's something else entirely.

Para, he does sound like a powder keg. I'm sure he'll not take kindly to being "hassled" like this, over what he'll deem was a perfectly justifiable situation. If he's prepared to have done such a thing, like as not he'll be a threat for quite some time to come. Watch your six.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    I agree save for the part about pointing the shotgun at the wife. If he is in fact inebriated he may even be stupid enough to admit to that part. If he does that should be enough to get him to jail for the night.
    He did the right thing, call the cops and let them sort it out. We all talk about newspaper articles that never give a lot of detail. Well this is one of them; hopefully no one gets hurt including the dog. A lot of things can be said in the heat of the moment.

Treat it as we know no more now than we did 20 minutes ago and think. There was a loose dog; was the dog creating a nuisance like attacking his dog or destroying someone’s property? If he has a gun who is to say he wasn't protecting himself from getting bit. Any one of you all would have pulled a gun if a large dog was charging at you

By law, people may not threaten murder, too. Nobody is within their rights to do that, ever.
    I didn't read anything about murder: what I read was he had a gun and threaten her with it. Now in a court of law because OP is saying it that would be hear-say and hear-say is very Unreliable info
    baren likes this.

I know that LEOs out here have a live and let live philosophy but he admitted pointing the shotgun at her (and he pumped it too). I just can't see NOT locking him up for at least a little while.

Off topic old joke: Two English couples were hunting lions in Africa. One fellow thought he saw a lion and took a shot nearly hitting the other man's wife...

"I say old chap, that last shot nearly hit my wife."

"Sorry old mate, my wife is over there by the tree. Take your shot."

Lucky the wives were not armed like your wife. Also, the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Any one of you all would have pulled a gun if a large dog was charging at you
    True, but she's more the oversized puppy type. Just wants to bark and play and run around in circles. And he's seen her enough to know that. When he comes over, she barks, never snarls. He somtimes barks back and yells at her. Big bully while she's fenced. No surprise she doesn't like him! And, he was INSIDE and saw her in his father-in-law's yard, then came OUTSIDE WITH A SHOTGUN and stated to my wife that he WOULD kill the dog for being outside the fence. I'm betting that was not the first time killing her came across his mind, and he saw his opportunity. Moron.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Para, he does sound like a powder keg. I'm sure he'll not take kindly to being "hassled" like this, over what he'll deem was a perfectly justifiable situation. If he's prepared to have done such a thing, like as not he'll be a threat for quite some time to come. Watch your six.
    I'm tempted to invite him over to play with her, but from what I've seen so far even before tonight, I don't think we are friend-compatible. He just seems like a bitter, lonely, slightly unbalanced jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    True, but she's more the oversized puppy type. Just wants to bark and play and run around in circles. And he's seen her enough to know that. When he comes over, she barks, never snarls. He somtimes barks back and yells at her. Big bully while she's fenced. No surprise she doesn't like him! And, he was INSIDE and saw her in his father-in-law's yard, then came OUTSIDE WITH A SHOTGUN and stated to my wife that he WOULD kill the dog for being outside the fence. I'm betting that was not the first time killing her came across his mind, and he saw his opportunity. Moron.
    I understand that BUT the law still says it is a loose dog and because the dog is lose it tips the scales his way. Sorry but I can't change the law; now if it’s in the country and there is no leash law there is another law (in a lot of places) that says you CAN'T shoot domestic animals that are running lose UNLESS they are destroying your livestock/chickens/pigs/goats

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links