Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

This is a discussion on Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by barstoolguru Originally Posted by ccw9mm By law, people may not threaten murder, too. Nobody is within their rights to do that, ever. ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Wife just saw the business end of my neighbor's shotgun. LEOs inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    By law, people may not threaten murder, too. Nobody is within their rights to do that, ever.
    I didn't read anything about murder: what I read was he had a gun and threaten her with it.
    Threatening to unjustifiably kill a person is a threat of murder.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Threatening to unjustifiably kill a person is a threat of murder.
    so what if it was justifiable?

mur∑der [mur-der] Show IPA noun
    Law . the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

She should take out a warrant for assault, him pointing a loaded shotgun at her. If he said he would shoot her, that's more proof of the assault. Let the courts settle it. If nothing else, it will make the homeowner realize he has a liability when this visitor is at his house.

Oh, and move. Nothing good coming out of this ordeal. I had to move over getting attacked by 2 pitbulls 19 years ago. My word against theirs. Animal control believed them although I had the bloodied up hands to prove it. I went to town council, yada, yada, yada. Bottom line, I moved.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

OD*
    I hope it works out in your favor, sounds to me it was no more than a dog doing what dogs do, sometimes they get out. Thankfully, this idjit was just a moron this time, and not a trigger happy moron.
    NotMallNinja likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

After having a firearm pointed at my wife I think I would have a very hard time leaving this to LEO's...not the right answer of course...but the truth.
    tricolordad likes this.

VIP Member
    So did they arrest him? Well, why not?

Had one of my neighbors done that while I was gone, I would have called a meeting with the other neighbors and discussed the threat to the community. If I had been home, totally different story. Keep pressure on the cops. They're being lazy.

Paramedic, this is a sucky situation and I hope you get it resolved - maybe by discussing it with the homeowner. I'd document the idiot harassing your dog as best as possible.

But, whoa, how did this get to discussion about murder? One of the two people that was there said (according to OP) "He didn't point the gun at me, just at the dog". Sorry, there was no intent there to harm her; not to say she couldn't easily twist it or perceive it that way if she wanted to or even make a case to take action if she chose to escalate the situation further. Sounds like she's too level headed to play those games though. He was stupid and had no justification to escalate the situation by going outside, especially with a gun. If he was under the influence, he should've gone to jail.

I think I'd bet on Paramedic's wife with a handgun vs this idiot with a shotgun.

Hope her foot heals quickly.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    So did they arrest him? Well, why not?
    No, and I don't know why, other than he must have seemed sane and apologetic to them, and he was going home.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post

But, whoa, how did this get to discussion about murder? One of the two people that was there said (according to OP) "He didn't point the gun at me, just at the dog". Sorry, there was no intent there to harm her
    But the rest of that statement was that she was behind the dog, in other words, in the expected line of fire.

Basically, she is making excuses why she shouldn't "permanently mess his life up" and "get tied up in court over this." That was a 30 minute conversation I had a little while ago. She's too much of a softy at heart.
    bigmacque, OD* and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I hope everything works out OK. Keep us posted.

I can't stand it when folks won't hold people accountable. "Live and let live" my foot. You pulled a gun, I wouldn't let that slide.

Women are often wiser than men. Sounds like your wife handled this idoit quite well by de-escalating the conflict. Most men would have been quickly "at war" over such a thing. Glad this worked out well for all involved. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Nothing will happen, itís his word against your wifeís and the dog is lose you might get a ticket. He is within his right to not have a lose dog attack him. By law you have a responsibly to restrain your dog
    Did you miss this part: "He CAME OUT OF HIS HOUSE WHERE HE WAS SAFE to perform this stunt."

No different than involving oneself in a situation where one should have been the "good witness."
    OD* and goldmaster like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Classic two wrongs do not make one right. Loose dog is a no no and deserves a fine. Pointing the firearm when you are not in imminent danger (who is to say he was not--you? your wife? the dog? labradane is a big dog and if it bounded up to me with what I perceive as evil intentions who is to say?) is more than a no no and deserves jail time---brandishing is a crime, unless your neighbor can convince someone of the "imminent danger". Pointing it at your wife could also be more "he said, she said" so who knows. Prosecutor and judge will sort it all out and that will be that. As said before, you keep a dog leashed or contained 100% of time--bottom line is none of this would have happened if the dog had not gotten loose.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Did you miss this part: "He CAME OUT OF HIS HOUSE WHERE HE WAS SAFE to perform this stunt."

No different than involving oneself in a situation where one should have been the "good witness."
    NO; I didn't and like we say "there is more to the story then you think". It’s HIS house and he has a right to protect it so if there is trouble outside he has the right to defend his property. I am not saying he didn't over react; sounds like he did BUT it are still HIS house. Here we have a case of STAND YOUR GROUND; he has the right to be on his own property inside or out and has the right to safe guard it.

Did he get arrested....? NO.... why.... because he was within his rights. You can file a case with the DA but it will get dropped due to lack of evidence. If it was me I would make a peace offering like a cake or something and take it over and apologize for the whole thing and make peace. Be the bigger man/woman and admit fault and put it behind you
    Paymeister and 9MMare like this.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links