SCENARIO: What gun do you choose? - Page 5

SCENARIO: What gun do you choose?

This is a discussion on SCENARIO: What gun do you choose? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by barstoolguru .. Three men storm the store and are taking wallets. First off we can assume that they are going after the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: SCENARIO: What gun do you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    .. Three men storm the store and are taking wallets. First off we can assume that they are going after the hard stuff first. Two they can't control the whole place because of the way they entered and three if you see them coming and you have any form of training you would have took a tactical position and engaged the target(s). it takes time to pull a takeover and anyone with any real experience won't do a pharmacy. That is the crack heads looking for easy money
    The small-time punks are the most dangerous. They'll create a situation that will likely escalate rapidly...

For me, it would be my Ruger SR40 loaded with 155grn Winchester SilverTip hollow points.
    Back up mag is loaded with Win Ranger 180grn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You are NOT forced to fire upon them. There is another option...they may take your wallet and be happy to find your gun also. It does not mean they would kill you.

Three against one is not good odds in an open gun fight. Drawing on them may be a certain demise.

If they were shooting patrons then you have nothing to lose but to fire upon them. It's either get shot or possibly get shot.
    REALLY? You'd allow the BGs to discover your gun and you think they'd just take it?? They see a gun on you, you're a THREAT! They will likely panic and shoot you and may or may not even care about stealing your gun. Why carry a gun at all if you're gonna turn it over to the bad guys at the first opportunity??? I'm going down swinging...
    finnman1 likes this.

VIP Member
    FastFreddie it doesn't really matter what gun you are carrying it is your skill level and mindset that matters.

Yes would it be best to have 18 rounds instead of 5? Sure but it does not mean you won't survive and win the encounter. Should you choose to engage you do so with aggression and the mindset that you don't stop until you are out of bullets and the bad guys are down. A defensive reaction may or may not work in this encounter but whatever you do be prepared for the worst case scenario and be ready to overcome it.

I read a quote the other day that fits here.

"The purpose of fighting is to win, there is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is your mind, all else is supplemental."
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Here is a quote for those who carry different guns as their EDC from day to day and more so if you carry it in different way and places.

When learning skills and ingraining them as muscle memory or autopilot responses, it is important that only one way be taught. W.E. Hicks’ 1952 study found that as the possible responses increased from one to two, reaction time increased by 58 percent. In other words, having to choose between options takes time, and the more options you have, the greater the reaction time. This is often referred to as Hicks’ Law, but Sun Tzu said the same thing many centuries ago: “The more possibilities you present to the enemy, the more diffuse he is forced to become. The more diffuse he becomes, the more difficult it is for him to concentrate sufficiently to make a successful attack.” We want to confuse the enemy with a variety of possibilities, but we do not want to do that to ourselves. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
    The less you have to think about during the fight the faster you will be in that fight.

Food for thought!!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

If you rephrase the question to a simple 3 on one I want the most rounds I can get regardless of caliber. I would hope I was carrying my SR9C that day.
    But I would still be looking for an out first

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    How does who you're with impact your carry? Does it depend on if they carry and what they carry?
    Referring to carrying extra magazines when with my kids, who are small.

The simplest example would be that I would have little chance of outrunning anyone with little ones in tow (chance of confrontation goes up). Likewise, if there are secondary threats I would need to be prepared to defend my now completely freaked out kids in place (instead of quickly extricating myself).

I'll probably move to carrying extra magazine(s) all the time, but I'm still getting used to the extra bulk and weight.

Don't try outrunning a bullet! You'll only die tired!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    Don't try outrunning a bullet! You'll only die tired!
    Well said!

But there is a time to fight, and a time to run. Of course figuring out which is which is the trick, isn't it?
    ericb327 likes this.

Of my carry guns, it would be the XD Service 45. Although since it is still in the 100's this week in Texas, right now it would be my Khar CW 45.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    We would be limited to the one we are carrying! My EDC is a G19 with 15 rounds. BGs usually bug out once bullets start heading their way. At least I hope they would.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Hmmm im small so peashooters,have pt 22,titan 25 acp,carry 45 acp in the truck,getting a llama 32 especial as small yes 32 acp.
    Know they make small 9mm and 380 dont want a plastic wonder that will hurt me to shoot,besides a 32 with longer barrel puts out as much as a short 380 in fpe, seller and bellot 189 fpe out of a 3.2 in barrel.A 32NAA out of a 2 1/2 only 160,corbin 32 same 160 fpe,and those small plastic wonders tend to fracture with even that let lone real ammo,euro in 32 is much hotter.
    And a euro pistol needs euro ammo to function correctly also 13 in penetration with fmj,and in those small subcompacts jhp wont do you much good as under 1000 fps wont expand reliably.
    The pocket pistols made of steel in yesteryear in some ways are far superior.
    Most likly need something like a don hume holster as want a strap under that cocked and locked mini 1911 hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    You're at the drug store getting a prescription filled when three armed guys storm the pharmacy counter looking for drugs. They are also taking wallets and purses from patrons. Your concealed handgun will be discovered, you are forced to engage the three armed baddies NOW. What is your gun of choice and why???
    If at that moment I can pick any weapon I want, my guns of choice would be theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    You're at the drug store getting a prescription filled when three armed guys storm the pharmacy counter looking for drugs. They are also taking wallets and purses from patrons. Your concealed handgun will be discovered, you are forced to engage the three armed baddies NOW. What is your gun of choice and why???
    My EDC - Glock 30. Shoots great and straight!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

My G23 is what I carry with 2 mags... Hope it's enough.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links