situation diffusion

This is a discussion on situation diffusion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i almost got in an accident 2 blocks from my house. just now. i was coming up on a cross street and a guy, with ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Fausty
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: situation diffusion

situation diffusion

i almost got in an accident 2 blocks from my house. just now. i was coming up on a cross street and a guy, with his son in the car, was travelling towards the intersection from my right. he had a yield sign, which he blew. he almost t boned me. we both slammed on our brakes, i can hear him hollering at me, (once again, with his son right next to him). i just sat there for a couple seconds, then he opened his door...

i took my foot off the brake and drove away. i didn't slam on the gas, i just pulled away. watching him in my rear view. he didn't get out. but he would have had i not pulled away. this guy was probably just having a bad day. maybe he just got in an argument with his wife. who knows.

point is, that this is exactly the type of situation that can turn lethal if you don't use your head people. had he followed me i would have called the cops and drove to the police station. we all need to remember that our sidearms are a last resort when there is no other way out.

the only reason i am posting this is because it has striking similarities to the bike shooting that ended in a death.
    ccw9mm, 40Bob, BugDude and 5 others like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

2. Remove Ads

You did the right thing!

Better to let the A _ _ H _ _ _ go that to have to explain to a detective as to why you had to put 6 rounds in him.

Sometimes I feel that it would be nice to have my own dash-cam in my car just to protect me legally, should some whack job decide to cause a incident. . .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Yes, the best fight to have is the one that never happened.

Good show and using your head!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

You did the right thing.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Absolutely the correct response, IMO. Nobody's car was damaged. Nobody was harmed. The only "bruising" was of ego (his). And you kept your wits about you, such that when it appeared he was going to exit and take his hollerin' to a whole new level, you simply kept your distance and left him to deal with himself.

You're correct: it could easily have blown sideways, had he been the sort.

Kudos.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    i almost got in an accident 2 blocks from my house. just now. i was coming up on a cross street and a guy, with his son in the car, was travelling towards the intersection from my right. he had a yield sign, which he blew. he almost t boned me. we both slammed on our brakes, i can hear him hollering at me, (once again, with his son right next to him). i just sat there for a couple seconds, then he opened his door...

i took my foot off the brake and drove away. i didn't slam on the gas, i just pulled away. watching him in my rear view. he didn't get out. but he would have had i not pulled away. this guy was probably just having a bad day. maybe he just got in an argument with his wife. who knows.

point is, that this is exactly the type of situation that can turn lethal if you don't use your head people. had he followed me i would have called the cops and drove to the police station. we all need to remember that our sidearms are a last resort when there is no other way out.

the only reason i am posting this is because it has striking similarities to the bike shooting that ended in a death.
    You are right about deescalation. Good job

My question to you, would be, if he had hit you and got out of his car and started to assault you, do you feel you would of had enough wherewithal to just drive away? IMO the only thing similar is that you were in a vehicle. No accident occurred, you were not assaulted and he was in a car not a bike. I understand were you are coming from, but the scenarios are completely different.
    40Bob likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I'm on the road 60K miles per year just for the job. One thing that amazes me is ... all too often, the driver that is clearly & blatantly in the wrong, is the one that gets the maddest & most beligerant towards the ones that he wronged ... go figure.

Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are right about deescalation. Good job

My question to you, would be, if he had hit you and got out of his car and started to assault you, do you feel you would of had enough wherewithal to just drive away? IMO the only thing similar is that you were in a vehicle. No accident occurred, you were not assaulted and he was in a car not a bike. I understand were you are coming from, but the scenarios are completely different.
    yes. i would rather flee the scene of an accident and drive to the nearest cop while dialing 911 than start fighting.

like i said in the other thread, i have been on the receiving end of an assault while i was seated in a vehicle before. it ended with the guys elbow rolled up in my window. thing is, the first thing people do when they get in an accident is get out to assess the damage. i am of the belief that you should remain in your vehicle with the doors locked and the windows up until you assess the situation. once you are confident you are not going to get into an altercation, then you make the next move, whether it is to just exchange numbers, call the cops, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    I'm on the road 60K miles per year just for the job. One thing that amazes me is ... all too often, the driver that is clearly & blatantly in the wrong, is the one that gets the maddest & most beligerant towards the ones that he wronged ... go figure.

uh huh. never fails. the average person is not too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    i am of the belief that you should remain in your vehicle with the doors locked and the windows up until you assess the situation.
    A lot of the time it is not appropriate to wait in your safety bubble. You did good in just driving away, however, the two situations were vastly different. There is a difference between de escalating and not getting involved. You refused to be baited into a situation and that is very good.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

well, if i was involved in something severe where someone may need aid the safety bubble approach would not be right, but i was referring more to the fender bender type situation that occurs in town here. no one is hurt usually but everyone is pissed because there car is smacked up. i have seen it many times. my wife bartended afternoons at a main drag bar here before she go her r.n. and i would sit down there, i would see an accident a week it seemed. and they were shouting matches half the time.

Well played!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Good job.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Yes, the best fight to have is the one that never happened.

Good show and using your head!
    This, good job.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links