Received threats

This is a discussion on Received threats within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short, after a dispute, I received threats of physical violence last night. -After avoidable swings were thrown in my direction, I had my ...

Thread: Received threats

Received threats

Long story short, after a dispute, I received threats of physical violence last night.
    -After avoidable swings were thrown in my direction, I had my mace in hand in my pocket ready to use. I did not use it.
    -I went inside and called PD.
    -The other party left the scene
    -Officers (2) came and I informed them what had happened.
    -The other party returned while I was speaking to the officers.
    -The officer stated that he had no jurisdiction over the dispute, but that he would "put an end to that" reffering to the other party swinging at me.
    Okay, so far how did I handle this?
    The problem is that the other party is my neighbor.
    What would you do from here?
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

2. Remove Ads

Lew
    Ned Flanders took a swing??? Outragious!!

Seriously though, takes a lot of pride swallowing to turn the cheek and walk away like that. Not many would. Most people I know would have hit him with the spray. This way, it looks more favoriable to you from the point of view of the LEO's.

As to what to do from here, What caused the incident? Are you in the right or is your pride in the right. There is a big difference. If you are in the right and he persists in being aggressive, file for a restraining order and get a video camera set up asap. Bust him.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

homer, it really depends on that "dispute" you mentioned.

Most try to avoid confontations at all costs, but without all of the info, one can not form a valid answer.

Lead Moderator
    guess it all depends on the details. If someone is seriously threatening you, not just in the heat of the moment, take appropriate legal and tactical action.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The dispute is avoidable in the future. We have a difference of opinions as to who owns what property. It's such a small piece of land I'd rather loose it than pay for the surveyers to come out and figure out who owns a 3' by 10' chunk of crooked grass. The dispute started when I was mowing my lawn (or what I thought was my lawn) and my neighbor started yelling at me for it. I woln't be mowing it in the future.
    As far as the validity of the threats, I don't know him well enough to know if he was just livid at the time or seriously going to follow through.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

homer, the city/ township should of a survey of the afore mentioned land (with property lines). You should be able to obtain a copy for very close to free if not free if you don't already have a copy.

Otherwise, I think you handled it VERY WELL! As lew mentioned, it takes alot to turn cheek and you should be praised for that. Good job, way to be be the "bigger man".

Administrator
    Neighbors are for a Long Time unless one or the other is planning on moving in the near future.

My suggestion is to resolve the situation with your neighbor ASAP before it all starts to steep & fester.

You want to enjoy living in your house that you worked so hard for. Your neighbor wants to enjoy his home also.

Do not let this turn into a running feud like the Hatfield's & The McCoy's.

AKA neverending hatred over what amounts to nothing.

It's not worth it. Patch it up by any means possible.

You'll end up staying in your house when your neighbor is outside because it will piss you off being out there with him out also.
    You'll be relaxing outside and he'll turn his radio on and that will P you off.
    Before you know it you'll be fighting over which way the wind is blowing the BBQ Smoke.
    Everything (as in every little thing) will tick you off.
    That is not a healthy or good way to live.

Life is too short for that sort of crap.

Be the bigger man & get it ironed out.

You'll constantly be grating on each others nerves and everything will escalate and you will all be miserable living in your own houses.

You already said you don't care about that patch of dirt...then don't let it ruin your home life. Life is stressful enough.

Go over and tell him the truth....that you don't care who it belongs to & to you it's not worth getting surveyed and you just want to forget the whole thing.

It was a misunderstanding & as far as you're concerned it's his.

Then...at least you tried and gave it a good shot.

It's one of those things that unless you want to eventually kill each other over the issue...it's never going to get resolved.
    You need to either fix it or it will eat you up.

Look at it as a little less grass to cut.
    That's my suggestion as there is not much worse than having a permanent enemy living right beside you and there are plenty of things that each of you can do to each other to make your respective lives a daily nightmare.

Don't let it get started because then it never stops and all are miserable for years.

Either that...or one of you will totally blow up some day & do something very regretful.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

+1,000,000 what QKshooter said!
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Assistant Administrator
    QK nailed that 100%
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post
    Long story short, after a dispute, I received threats of physical violence last night.
    -After avoidable swings were thrown in my direction, I had my mace in hand in my pocket ready to use. I did not use it.
    Spend the $100 or so on one of the security cameras at WalMart that has a motion sensor and controls a VCR to record only when there's motion. Pick up a cheap TV and VCR from a pawn shop, and have your own front door/yard surveillance system. It could come in handy for a lot of other situations as well.

As others have said, resolving the dispute is best, but if the guy's willing to take a swing at you over a few square feet of yard space, what else might set him off later? I'd stay on high alert around him, and make it clear that such behavior will not be tolerated

3'x10'.....you'd have to put him in sideways....... Seriously, sounds like you did fine. Either he'll come to his senses, or continue being an ass. I would get an assessors' survey (as mentioned), to help head off any future stupidity in court.

Well if I caught someone cutting my grass I would be coming out of the house and handing them a beer.

I do hope that you can patch things up with the neighbor and it will not be an on going problem.

QKshooter hit it right on the head!!!

QK pretty much said what I would have said to save peace in the neighborhood. Nothing worse than fighting neighbors, as I've been through that with a neighbor who was a Preacher who didnt like my rose bushes on my side of the property line, and with another neighbor who built a pool next to my block wall, where I had planted trees 5 years before, and now the leafs were blowing in his pool. Both of those guys wanted me to remove the roses/trees, and I just told them that those items were there before they built the pool or moved in. I told them they could prune the items on their side of the property line, which they did, doing a "butchering job" just to piss me off. They both finally moved.

One thing though, is you might go to the property line intersections and look for the "property pins" which are usually a pipe or a piece of rebar. I you have a cheapo metal detector, you can find them if they are buried. Just for your reference. I wouldnt do it if the guy was home, as he might think you are doing something covert.

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Had the same problem with the neighbor here. Kept on saying that we were on his property.

By state law, as long as there is a fence, if the property has been "on your side" for 20 years or more then the property is yours (squatters rights).

I went ahead and had it surveyed (well, I got it for free due to the school I work for has a Technical Engineer Apprenticeship) and I surveyed it as well (you pick up things when you work at a school that has a Technical Engineer Apprenticeship ).

He was three feet over on our property. Yet, the law is the law, the fence has been up for over 30 years, that 3 feet is legally his, as the 6 feet that he claimed was his would have still been ours because of the same.

Is there a fence? How long has the fence been up? If no fence, get it surveyed anyway if you own (or are buying) the house. Not just because of this but so you have it on file. If you ever sell, the new buyers will demand that it be surveyed and this will satisfy this requirement.

Wayne

*PS: The best way to resolve this - Move out to the country where your neighbor is 1/2 mile away

You have more restraint that I do. Avoidable or not, someone takes a swing at me I swing back. It is neither good nor bad, it just is.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links