road rage questions

This is a discussion on road rage questions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If he follows you to your house, kicks in your locked door, and gives you a reasonable fear for you or your family's life. Which ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: road rage questions

If he follows you to your house, kicks in your locked door, and gives you a reasonable fear for you or your family's life.

Which begs the question, why did you let him follow you home?

In this case, you did exactly what I would have done... lead him around until he got bored and gave up.
    Bubbiesdad and lchamp like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Instead of thinking "when can I use my gun?", I would suggest thinking "what I can do to avoid using my gun?"

Get out of Dodge if you can. If you can't, you have to be in legitimate fear for your life or of great bodily harm. Usually that means that you are trapped and the BG is carrying a weapon of some sort.
    ccw9mm and MrsHB like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If he gets out of his car, drive away!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

why do we always see these types of stories with members who have single digit posts?
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    why do we always see these types of stories with members who have single digit posts?
    Because people gotta start somewhere. If they don't ask these questions here as newbies, they do stupid things later. I would rather people come here to ask than just make assumptions.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Unless I'm mistaken, being followed by someone with a red-faced, furrowed-brow expression on their face is no more dangerous to you than being followed by someone with a big Christian smile on their face. Are you afraid of being...followed?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Don't ask us, ask they jury of your peers chosen to decide your fate. I guess it depends on how big a hurry you're in to get to jail. If you think you can get away with shooting an unarmed guy walking towards you then by all means have at it. You can use the mouthpiece GZ's breaking in.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Because people gotta start somewhere. If they don't ask these questions here as newbies, they do stupid things later. I would rather people come here to ask than just make assumptions.
    I guess you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I guess you're right!
    It had to happen eventually <shrug>

-- John F. Kennedy

Well, while the subject is being discussed ... what if you are on a two lane highway, and an aggressive driver is passing you and his passenger is waving a gun around? Sure, you can still drive to a police station, until the jerk with the gun shoots you in the head and your car careens off the road. I honestly don't know what I would do, aside from sit in a puddle of pee and attempt to think faster than I ever have in my life. Even if you slammed on your brakes and slowed down or stopped, you could still be shot with a gun now in the picture. Personally, my first thought would be to just take him out, eliminate the threat. But I know sometimes the law looks at things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post
    ...my first thought would be to just take him out, eliminate the threat. But I know sometimes the law looks at things differently.
    Sometimes? If I'm being passed, I'm pretty confident that I can get turned-around & run (drive) away faster than they can get a "head shot" on me. There's a lot of mentions in self-defense law about what a "reasonable man" would do. Ya' think you shoot well enough, alone, at driving speed, "just to take him out"? Are you shooting the driver or the gunman, or both? You're not Mad Max & this isn't Thunderdome. Let's get realistic here...pleeeeze.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Well, while the subject is being discussed ... what if you are on a two lane highway, and an aggressive driver is passing you and his passenger is waving a gun around? Sure, you can still drive to a police station, until the jerk with the gun shoots you in the head and your car careens off the road. I honestly don't know what I would do, aside from sit in a puddle of pee and attempt to think faster than I ever have in my life. Even if you slammed on your brakes and slowed down or stopped, you could still be shot with a gun now in the picture. Personally, my first thought would be to just take him out, eliminate the threat. But I know sometimes the law looks at things differently.
    You can brake and do U turn and drive away. It is really hard to hit a moving target from a moving target. Of course it could be Kim Rhode, but I doubt that she would behave in such a way.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The bigger "bullet" here is the one with the gas pedal.

-- John F. Kennedy

I actually had this situation happen to me several years ago while in medic school. There was a guy who felt slighted by me because he had the yield sign and I continued upon my way with the right of way. He followed me on the highway for a bit, tailgating, flashing his lights, etc. I exited the highway like I normally do, and he followed. Upon this time I called 911. I went to do a U-turn under the highway. continuing to my destination when a car infront of me stopped at the yield sign, and the angry fellow stopped behind me and got out of his car. While on the phone with dispatch (and having locked my door) the guy started pounding on my window and the dispatcher asked if that was him and I said it was. She then asked where I would be driving to next and I told her the building.

As I drove away, the guy got back in his car and followed. When I pulled in to the parking lot of the building, he followed, then finally decided to stop and turned the other way... at this time, 3 patrol cars came from behind the building with lights on, pulling him over. They proceeded to do a felony stop on him and one of the officers came to talk to me, asking if I wanted to press charges. I denied stating I just wanted to get to class, and he said "It's ok, we'll teach him to be respectful anyhow".

This was before I was eligible for a handgun, but is one of the things that prompted me to buy one plus buy some pepper spray for my car.
    thechriskarel and Bubbiesdad like this.

VIP Member
    De-escalate the situation. That's your responsibility when you carry. Learn to let these types of encounters roll off your back and don't escalate by cursing, motioning, driving recklessly, etc. If someone if acting in a threatening way to you while driving, drive away and call 911.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links