road rage questions

This is a discussion on road rage questions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I actually had a similar story myself. Several years ago, I helped manage a business my friend was running. We had this guy with a ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: road rage questions

I actually had a similar story myself.

Several years ago, I helped manage a business my friend was running. We had this guy with a real attitude and work ethic problem, so we fired him. One day I end up behind him at a stoplight, and his kid starts hollering at Daddy. Next thing I know he pulls off the road and jumps behind me, tailgating me around town. I drove past my house without slowing down (he didn't know where I lived) and went around the block, then repeated that around another block. Eventually I lost him, and went to BK to eat.

When I came out of the restaurant, here he comes from behind another truck, talking about he was going to kick my tail, etc. No witnesses anywhere around, big empty parking lot, and Mr. Anger Management spraying all kinds of lovely things in my face. I managed to let him burn out by being passive but not backing down lest he sense weakness (which I had plenty of at the time).

That event was one of several that led me to get my CPL a few years later. I learned a few lessons that day though:

• Staying calm tends to diffuse more situations than a threat of force.
    • Never assume that something is over just because the coast is clear.
    • Always check your environment (or, stay at condition yellow all the time)
    • Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it... or think you might.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

If nobody else is looking, definitely shoot him. If someone else IS looking shoot them first, then shoot the bad guy. You can't be too careful when it comes to witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    You're not Mad Max & this isn't Thunderdome. Let's get realistic here...pleeeeze.
    But it's fun to think about.

I've had someone follow me before because of a road rage incident. They drove beside me for quite a while and I wasn't able to pull over. It was a little scary, and though it was years ago, I remember I had these questions running through my head. I didn't carry much back then like I do now.

People are just nuts today.

VIP Member
    The only time you should introduce your gun into the equation is if all other possibilities have been exhausted. Your gun is NEVER your first, second or even third option. It's your final option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Reminds me of the event in Birmingham, AL about 12 or 13 years ago. Two women were in a ******* contest on the way home in rush hour traffic (people witnessed the lights, horns, tailgating, etc. for miles). The woman in front pulled off at her exit and the other one followed her. Woman in front stops, woman behind stops behind her. Woman in front gets out of the car and (probably cussing) walked back to the other one's car and sticks her face in the side window to (probably) cuss out the other one. The one behind pulled out a gun and shoots her, kills her, and claimed fear for her life in trial. She went to prison ... supposedly a nicely dressed, professional secretary for a downtown office ... should have driven off. I guess if I had been on the jury, I would have thought that she could have avoided the situation, a gun wasn't necessary.

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

guys....a lot of you apparently think I'm some sort of trigger happy vigilante. I was just presenting a situation that I (and many others) have encountered and posed a question. I was nowhere near shooting this dude. I have several friends who are cops locally and they would have loved to help me (they are often bored).
    Rock and Glock likes this.

and I like that one guy thinks that my number of posts = my experience with firearms. lolz
    Rock and Glock and ccw9mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    and I like that one guy thinks that my number of posts = my experience with firearms. lolz
    We do tend to get a lot of trigger-happy n00bz around here. But, like every forum on the internet, we also get a lot of trolls. So, we tend to take threads started by new people with a grain of salt. But as I said before, I'd rather have people ask questions here than make assumptions. Even if the OP is a troll, someone might have a legitimate question answered by the responses.

/no, I don't think you're trolling...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Get your gun out .... if cornered than get out of your car (mobility) .... then shoot him ..... then go to jail ..... then spend $20,000 on a lawyer ... then worry about his relatives coming after you

Or - Write him off as another jerk you deal with in life.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 7th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Regardless of your experience with firearms, early in this thread someone recommended the book In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob.

I second that notion. Though dated, it would have answered your op, and many other questions that will arise in your CCW "career".

I would recommend reading it several times, there are many nuances in it that will, if well learned, cover your rear end in any gravely extreme situation. And many not so much.
    Rock and Glock and MrsHB like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I had seen that book before, but it is pretty ancient. I wasn't sure if it would still be relevant today.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I had seen that book before, but it is pretty ancient. I wasn't sure if it would still be relevant today.
    It certainly is dated but the concepts (which is the focal point) are timeless.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Some folks think the U.S. Constitution is even more "ancient".

They too, are mistaken.

Even though old, the principles are timeless... In both documents, BTW.

And, while not a gunslinger's bible, I can assure you that even if you were to use the book's choices in armament, anyone on the muzzle end of your weapon would be just as dead as if you had used the latest "tacticool" gear. (Dependent entirely, of course, on your ability... "It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.")
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It's worth reading again just for the pictures :-D

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    It's worth reading again just for the pictures :-D
    That, too!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links