road rage questions - Page 5

road rage questions

This is a discussion on road rage questions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curse him and his family inside the confines of your own automobile. Wish mountains of pimples on his grandchildren...then just drive to your destination. ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: road rage questions

Just curse him and his family inside the confines of your own automobile. Wish mountains of pimples on his grandchildren...then just drive to your destination. I had a motorcyclist brake check me on the interstate one day. Someone that crazy is someone I need to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    I had a motorcyclist brake check me on the interstate one day. Someone that crazy is someone I need to avoid.
    Brake-checking has a legitimate function, that of warning off someone who is, in the opinion of the leading car, dangerously close (aka, a tailgater). Deliberately slamming on the brakes to rapidly close the distance is something else entirely. Unknown which this was, in your case. If the latter, then IMO it wasn't "brake-checking."

One more good reason to maintain good distance from the car ahead, to leave an "out."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I picked up a wanna-be tailgater this morning on my way to work. I was going about 71-72 in a 65 zone which was pretty average for the traffic. I simply deactivated the cruise control. They were in another lane before I slowed to 65. Had they stayed, I would have reset it at 65 exactly.

ccw9mm...he did not think I was going fast enough on the interstate. I never talegate...I think talegaters are aholes of the highest order...that includes anyone on this forum.

He pulled his bike in front of my car and decided to see if he could get a thrill up his leg by tapping the bikes brakes and almost causing me to slam his feeble little scooter into the asphalt and provide him with road rash that would never heal. My daughter was in the car with me and he endangered her life. I think next time someone wants to brake check me on the highway while they are motorscooptering their little fannies down the road, they had better check their relationship with God because that is going to be their next visit...I frankly will not allow anyone to endanger my daughter. I don't give a frick who you may think you are...you are road rash long before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually gave up, but I'm wondering at what point would it have been appropriate to introduce my .38 into the situation, if ever. I know protocol is to drive to a police station and/or call the police, but let's say he stops me suddenly, or I don't have my phone on me, or I'm far away from a police station, etc. so, if we both stop and he is approaching my car, when is it gun time? as soon as he gets out and is angrily walking towards me, I can safely assume he means to hurt me, right? or....should I wait in the car with window closed, and if he goes to open the door, then reach for the gun?

I'm going thru 100 different scenarios in my head, and any advice is appreciated.
    depends on your state. Here in NH you don't get to use the stand your ground arguement. your in a car and you have the abilities to get away. exsits, lose the other driver in traffic, slow down and get away, there are many options. if you are both stopped and pulled over like you mentioned when they get out you leave real fast...... there are tons of situations. using a gun or even taking it out must be a very last resort. In NH unless they have some type of firearm you should run like a school girl down the road just (to see if they will run after you) to cover your A that they intend to actually harm you. then you can turn and pull it out :) laws differ from state to state though. best check with leos or take some course that teaches shoot no-shoot situations.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    ccw9mm...he did not think I was going fast enough on the interstate. I never talegate...I think talegaters are aholes of the highest order...that includes anyone on this forum.

He pulled his bike in front of my car and decided to see if he could get a thrill up his leg by tapping the bikes brakes and almost causing me to slam his feeble little scooter into the asphalt and provide him with road rash that would never heal. My daughter was in the car with me and he endangered her life. I think next time someone wants to brake check me on the highway while they are motorscooptering their little fannies down the road, they had better check their relationship with God because that is going to be their next visit...I frankly will not allow anyone to endanger my daughter. I don't give a frick who you may think you are...you are road rash long before my daughter.
    I get it but if you hit someone from behind it is automatically you're fault as I am sure you know. I'm sure you also know it is best for you're daughter that she have you in her life outside of prison.

If I even thought about my gun when these type of things happen, my gun would be pulled daily.

Ideally, these questions would be answered before even starting to carry a gun, but we're all here to learn, and I'm glad you are asking the question. There have been many good answers already. The basic idea is: "Pull your gun when you feel that you are about to be gravely injured or killed, after other possible options of escape have been exhausted" In a car, you have many means of escape in most cases.

once saw a big raging guy, over 6' and 230, walk up to this kid in his truck. Kid had the windows down, the guy was choking or grabbing the kid, the truck was rocking. Then the meathead stomped back this car.
    A safe distance, camera and cell phone would solve most road rage interactions when morons walk up on your car.
    If your car was stuck in position, traffic, then I'd have some weapon in reach. But if you can drive away, then do it.

that gun should not come out till you are ready to defend your life and if i am in my car and he is in his, we got a long way to go till I pull out my gun. Someone else said, till there are no other options.

In many cases you'd be much better served to take a butt kicking if that's how it ended up than to go pulling your gun on someone over some lame road rage episode. Even that should come between every attempt to escape and presentation of a firearm. A fat lip and a black eye are pretty cheap and painless comparatively.

That said I can't imagine many circumstances where a person couldn't get away or otherwise de-escalate the situation.

sent via iCarry

Having not been there I could only say I would do everything I could to diffuse the situation - change my route, pull in to a public place, find a police station. For me road rage is the worst excuse for getting in to a fight. Especially if I was carrying. That's just me.

I can tell you one thing for sure -- I've been a passenger in a car during a two-way road rage situation and I don't ever recall being more scared for my life than these two people caught in a temporary state of douchebaggery for something as simple as not going fast enough (or whatever the situation was). Trading spaces, trading fingers, honking horns - It was five minutes of a certain type of terror.

But it gave me an appreciation for my own "non-road-rage" personality. Even my wife says that I drive too much "like a grandma" (which I actually disagree with). But I get where I'm going, I'm not an angel of speed limits but certainly never excessive - and I have no moving violations. Which is something my wife nor my "road-rager" friend can say.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    When I moved to Ky from Chicago I had to change my driving style considerably, people here are much more "casual" in their driving styles. I remember when I was first here sitting at an intersection cussing under my breath at a gut who was not turning, when I yelled "What is he doing!?". My future wife replied "He's letting you in..." I felt like a real fool. Nothing in traffic is worth an altercation.
    Rock and Glock and ericb327 like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The first thing is call 911 to cover yourself. Then act passive, don't start with the F** You and giving him the finger. Try and drive away.

Now if you are totally cornered than stay in your car, let the other guy approach, and if he is smashing your window, or jerking you out of the car - then do something. Watch as he approaches to see if he has a gun. Short of a life and death scenerio, it ain't worth it. You got to deal with the cops, lawyers, the other fool's family, and the stress of it all.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    When I moved to Ky from Chicago I had to change my driving style considerably, people here are much more "casual" in their driving styles. I remember when I was first here sitting at an intersection cussing under my breath at a gut who was not turning, when I yelled "What is he doing!?". My future wife replied "He's letting you in..." I felt like a real fool. Nothing in traffic is worth an altercation.
    I still can't get used to the drivers in NKY, It's a lot different in Chicago!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links