road rage questions - Page 6

road rage questions

This is a discussion on road rage questions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1boredguy A safe distance, camera and cell phone would solve most road rage interactions when morons walk up on your car. If ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: road rage questions

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    A safe distance, camera and cell phone would solve most road rage interactions when morons walk up on your car.

If your car was stuck in position, traffic, then I'd have some weapon in reach. But if you can drive away, then do it.
    One point about camera/phone: if the 'rager can get to within contact distances of you, it's entirely likely any camera/phone simply won't be seen by the enraged person. Contact distance is still that, no matter whether it's filmed for later prosecution, as the imminent danger still exists.

Ditto on your last point. If driving away and/or maintaining distance is at all possible, it's well worth considering in any situation where the 'rager is angrily approaching.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think you were wrong for passing the guy and escalating the encounter. Two wrongs don't make a right. Opps, I remember something similar a couple days ago, and the Post disappeared quickly. Hope this one isn't the same. That's all folks.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Well, that's a key point in the first place (and I think it's been pounded in, but I'm going to pound it in even more anyway 'cuz that's how I roll).

Seriously -- Some jack-wagon thinks you're going too slow and aggressively passes & swerves in front of you.

Now you know the guy (or gal - they're not all as cuddly and innocent as others) is a jerk-weed. Then he "brake-checks" you. Now you know he's not only a jerk-weed in a jack-wagon, but he's also dangerous with little regard for his own OR your safety.

Why would anyone in their right mind actually want to be IN FRONT of such a person when it's absolutely nothing to just let him go on his merry way? Hell, I'll slow down some to make sure he's WAY out in front of me.

I might swear at him in my car (where he can't hear it) - I might flip him off behind my dashboard (where he can't see it). But I'm certainly not going to make someone who's very obviously (A) an a$$hole and (B) dangerous MORE of an a$$hole and MORE dangerous.

It's not like I'm going to whip past him and he's going to suddenly have some moment of clarity and think to himself "Whoa - This guys got some maneuvers... And I'm really being an a$$hole" and back off... He's most likely going to double-down. And soon the pain begins.
    thechriskarel likes this.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually gave up, but I'm wondering at what point would it have been appropriate to introduce my .38 into the situation, if ever.
    When you feel your life is threatened, and you have no other choice.. i.e., he starts shooting at you, and disables your car in the process.
    Ideally, just drive to a police station, flag down an officer on patrol, or call in a 911 call and have the gun stopped. The cell phone is a wonderful tool for self-defense in this sort of situation. If you draw that gun, be ready to pull the trigger when it clears the holster. Don't use it to wave around just to scare someone off. Keeping that mentality helps to clarify when the right time to draw really is, and it helps you avoid a citation for brandishing, or getting shot yourself because your aggressor reacted, drew, and shot first as a result.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I think you were wrong for passing the guy and escalating the encounter.
    How does passing another car equate to escalation of any sort?

Here is thechriskarel's original post. Assuming it occurred as claimed. I found no further posts by the OP to embellish the original statement, unless I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually gave up ...
    At worst, it seems the only thing moving from out behind such a car/driver accomplished was to achieve a minor tactical blunder. Of course, we don't know details beyond this. If the move from behind, the pass, or a lane-change back ahead of the other driver was done aggressively, or if words/visuals were exchanged in the passing, then that's an entirely different encounter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Original poster, please read first post here: Don't let your ego get in the way.
    Arborigine likes this.

The same happened to me in metro-Phoenix. I had my whole family in the car, which includes two very small/young children. Trust me, I was furious. Difference is, I chose to stay behind them, back off, memorized their plate number, and called 911 with a report of reckless driving.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I picked up a wanna-be tailgater this morning on my way to work. I was going about 71-72 in a 65 zone which was pretty average for the traffic. I simply deactivated the cruise control. They were in another lane before I slowed to 65. Had they stayed, I would have reset it at 65 exactly.
    If someone is going that fast, I know they are going to pass me and be on their way. I let them go and dont have to see them again.

IMO it's rude to stay in the fast lane if you are holding up someone else, it's not up to you or I to tell them just how much over the speed limit is 'ok' in our opinion.

I do not try to control their actions by responding punitively. It is not our business to control or discipline other drivers, nor to 'teach them a lesson.' Control issues are half the problem in most road rage situations IMO
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

You want to know at what point can you draw...... Try this next time make believe you dont have your gun with you, what would you do then ? That would be the route you'd want to take. Unless hes coming at you with a gun i. His hand now that changes everything.... Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Gun time is a long way away. If he follows you drive somewhere safe, as far as you need to. If he stops in front of your blocking you, wait until he gets out and then ram his car, drive away. Once he is out of the car, drive away quickly. If you are blocked in by traffic, and he gets out to attack, ram through the traffic. If your car is totally disabled, you are stopped and he has opportunity, ability and intention to hurt you, then you shoot him.
    Becoming a threat to everyone else on the road is NOT the answer. Never ever do this, ever. That all by itself could get YOU shot by a 3rd party; multiple counts of reckless driving/endangerment + civil damages to property at the least.

If you can't drive away (blocked by traffic), sit tight. If he approaches your car, sit tight, and show him that you have a gun. If he opens a door or brakes a window, kill him.
    Miamieddie and thechriskarel like this.

wow guys...great responses on this page. Yes, I was an idiot for passing him back. I did it aggressively, and it was dumb. But I felt like I should stick up for myself a little bit. I will not handle this situation the same way in the future however. My ego definitely got the better of me. I know that since I carry, I have to avoid conflict more than people who don't. Thanks for everybody's input!
    9MMare likes this.

When you feel that your life is in immediate dangewr or great great bodily harm will occur. Then, draw, fire and wait fot the police.
    Do not wave it around. Thats "brandishing" or "wreckless endangerment with a firearm" YOU will be arrested.
    Florida as well as many other states have that law. I amsure your sate does.
    I would have gotten his license number and reported an overly aggressive drive on the cellphone.
    In Florida its *FHP gives yo a direct line into FHP and they will relay to other agencies as needed.
    Also this is recorded; which may help you later in case you do have to shoot.
    Call 911 if no other recource is available. I want it recorded.
    MrsHB likes this.

We're all human we're all going to get irritated at the moron who does that. I get cut off all the time driving in Denver, its a joyus fact of the modern age. Being armed however holds the citizen to a higher standard. Did you pass him and give him a nice visual signal? What prompted the break check... tailgating? If you brandish you're firearm in a road rage incident YOU are going to go to jail not the individual who initiated the confrontation. You should be thinking in the back of your mind that introducing Mr. .38 is a resource to be utilized only when all else fails and you're in imminent danger of being killed or seriously injured and even at that the State Statutes vary. Just because we carry a firearm for self defense shouldn't make us reckless and out looking for a gunfight, in fact it should be the exact opposite. Lets say you do brandish it, now the individual knows you're armed and you just screwed the pooch on you're element of surprise and in court. (he's calling the police bawling that you just brandished a gun at him and now it's off to Bubba's house for the evening) Not to mention, what if he's armed? Now he knows you have a gun and he's thinking... "I have a bigger gun."

Back to your scenario. Assuming everything is on the up and up he follows you pull into a crowded area (stop n rob, Walmart, etc) and yell for help or go in phone the Police. If you're in stop n go traffic and he approaches the vehicle, keep cool and keep a wide enough reactionary gap with the vehicle in front of you if possible you can escape the situation. If not then use your best judgement.
    A good quote I heard in a disaster training class I took was: "You can think and train through 100 different scenarios but the one that gets you in the ass is always going to be scenario 101."
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."
    James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    When you fear you're about to die. Note that just getting beat in a fist fight does not usualy justify lethal force, so have non-lethal options..
    There are a surprising amount of "one punch" killings every year, so don't take the threat of a whoopin' lightly. Being in fear of being murdered or of "great bodily injury" constitutes grounds for a justifiable homicide here in California. Even if you are only knocked out, they can get your weapon and become a hazard to others, and you may receive permanent brain and body damage from the stomping. Better to avoid the situation by any means necessary. When armed I become a mild-mannered milktoast, with the power to absorb verbal abuse with a tactical smirk.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

road rage questions

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Instead of thinking "when can I use my gun?", I would suggest thinking "what I can do to avoid using my gun?"
    I would agree with this...you should not be looking for a reason to introduce your gun into a situation.

Then only time to draw your weapon is when you are in eminent life threatening danger and you are prepared to pull the trigger. Showing your firearm as a threat makes you the BG as you have now introduced the possibility of deadly force to the situation.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links