road rage questions

This is a discussion on road rage questions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: road rage questions

road rage questions

today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually gave up, but I'm wondering at what point would it have been appropriate to introduce my .38 into the situation, if ever. I know protocol is to drive to a police station and/or call the police, but let's say he stops me suddenly, or I don't have my phone on me, or I'm far away from a police station, etc. so, if we both stop and he is approaching my car, when is it gun time? as soon as he gets out and is angrily walking towards me, I can safely assume he means to hurt me, right? or....should I wait in the car with window closed, and if he goes to open the door, then reach for the gun?

I'm going thru 100 different scenarios in my head, and any advice is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Gun time is a long way away. If he follows you drive somewhere safe, as far as you need to. If he stops in front of your blocking you, wait until he gets out and then ram his car, drive away. Once he is out of the car, drive away quickly. If you are blocked in by traffic, and he gets out to attack, ram through the traffic. If your car is totally disabled, you are stopped and he has opportunity, ability and intention to hurt you, then you shoot him.
    BenGoodLuck and Spade115 like this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

VIP Member
    If you can get away, get away.

You should be thinking of all the ways that you can avoid presenting that lethal force, not when is a good opportunity to do so.

"In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob is a good book to get you started.

The best defense is an offence. You have a gun chances are you will win but at what cost is what you have to tell yourself. If you fear for your life but I don't see a little road rage doing it. Learn to smile and wave him off it will save you a lot of money

Distinguished Member
    I would say after you do everything and anything to avoid any confrontation, and THEN ONLY IF you feel your life is in danger.

I really cannot see how someone could get you into this position when your driving a car, just too many options to avoid it.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When there are no other options?
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

After he cut you off & brake-checked you, then you passed him? Then he followed you? Just pull off somewhere crowded with your cell phone connected to your ear & let him go on his way. It's not going to become a life-threatening (gun) circumstance until he stops, exits his vehicle an comes up to your door/window. Having 911 on the phone (so the conversation is recorded) & your revolver handy is prudent at that point.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

So what did you do that he cut you off and then brake checked you,there are always 3 sides to every story(,your version/his version/what really happened)Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to use your gun,when you should be looking for every way you don't have to.If you shoot an unarmed guy in the street,the Jury will be asking themselves why didn't he drive off while calling 911,you might wanta carry some pepper spray,worse case scenario if you get stuck in traffic with a bonehead that wants to attack you,then you have a non lethal device.
    SCXDm9 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First of all, nice to see another member from da' burgh on here... there are several of us on the forum.

Secondly, as others have said, if you can drive away, drive away. Bringing a gun into play is always a last resort. Also, being in the confined space of a car can make self-defense a difficult endeavor.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Good gosh, you should not be thinking of "introducing" the .38 as an alternative when someone is a bit miffed.

You should know the answer to this, and if you don't, you need to research your state laws regarding the justifiable use of deadly force, and you should not carry until you know what the requirements are.

Here's an alternative way to ask the question: When can I justifiably use deadly force that may kill the man?

Some people are jerks at times. That doesn't mean that one guy that is having a bad day is going to kill you, nor does his family deserve to greet a cop at the door with some very bad news.
    miller_man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually gave up, but I'm wondering at what point would it have been appropriate to introduce my .38 into the situation, if ever.
    At what point would you feel justified in presenting deadly force, or the threat of imminent use of it? Check your state's statutes regarding the use of force, as that's the legal standard you'll be held to.

Basically, most states follow the "reasonable man" standard, in which (likely) you may not present intent to use deadly force, and you may not actually use deadly force, unless a reasonable person would conclude in the same circumstances that the imminent threat of death or crippling injury exists.

As a basic guideline: A.O.J. -- Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy. Check my signature line for a link.

Though, your statue's statutes are the ones your state will be applying in such situations. Consider variations based on duty to retreat, "Castle" protections, and so forth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Personally..... I think your head is in the wrong place, and you are asking the wrong questions.

To me, you are asking "when I can introduce a gun to solve my problems for me " .... the answer is NEVER ! ! ! The gun is not there to stop, end, terminate, or resolve confrontations you may or may not have, nor problems you have with someone. It's there ONLY ..... to protect yourself if someone is trying to kill you, attempting to, or is more than likely going to.

It's sure not a free pass to start things with people, and then use it to get you out of them.
    ccw9mm, PEF, cn262 and 1 others like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

so wait, isn't driving in pittsburgh pretty much just an exercise of universal road rage constantly? isn't this normal behavior around there?

is it possible he was just taking the same route as you and not following you?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

When do you use a bulldozer to put out a house fire?
    miller_man likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    today I had a guy cut me off and brake check me. then when I passed him, he followed me for a while. he eventually gave up, but I'm wondering at what point would it have been appropriate to introduce my .38 into the situation, if ever. I know protocol is to drive to a police station and/or call the police, but let's say he stops me suddenly, or I don't have my phone on me, or I'm far away from a police station, etc. so, if we both stop and he is approaching my car, when is it gun time? as soon as he gets out and is angrily walking towards me, I can safely assume he means to hurt me, right? or....should I wait in the car with window closed, and if he goes to open the door, then reach for the gun?

I'm going thru 100 different scenarios in my head, and any advice is appreciated.
    When you fear you're about to die. Note that just getting beat in a fist fight does not usualy justify lethal force, so have non-lethal options.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links