Held a knife on his terrified girlfriend

This is a discussion on Held a knife on his terrified girlfriend within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully this thread does not go the way of one some time back and get locked due to pi**ing match. But here is a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Held a knife on his terrified girlfriend

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Hopefully this thread does not go the way of one some time back and get locked due to pi**ing match.

But here is a good story about taking the shot with a hostage being held and the importance of training and practice. Yes these guys where SWAT but it could be you standing there and no time for SWAT to get there.

Shots Fired: Reno, Nevada 07

This was inside a house most rooms inside houses are not much over 20 to 25 feet, 7-8 yds tops, most likely less. Can you make the shot? If not at 7 yds at what distance can you make the shot? Do you know? Why not? At least knowing at what distance you could make a shot like that if needed could be very important.

Yes the likely hood of a CCer needing to make that shot is slim but if it is needed it is needed now. So why not at least know where and when you could make it. It only takes time and a little ammo. Is your love ones worth it?

Yes I am one of those who pushes training and practice but even if you can only make that shot from 3 ft away at least know what distance it is.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Hey I'm all for being capable of taking the shot.

Too bad Tangle and his Marine Desert Warrior weren't there:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

This reminds me of taken when the dad fins the daughter and the guy says "let's make a......boom! " i love that scene.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

The two rounds tore into Sunde's skull, obliterating it. The .223 round from Swetkovich's AR-15 struck the suspect's nose, causing his head to turn toward the right. Lessman's 9mm round, traveling half as fast as the AR-15 round, struck the suspect's right cheek and exited at the nape of his neck. In a split second, Sunde went from very angry to very deceased.
    Yep, the high powered .223 and the 9 mm together turned his brains, skull, and flesh to a grizzly mist.

And, they did so against a knife (well, two knives, actually). An involuntary twitch with a knife may cause a cut. Such a twitch on a trigger might have rendered the woman into a permanent vegetative state.

My bet is they wouldn't have taken the shots if there were a gun to her head.

No yellow fluids, just an educated guess.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yep, the high powered .223 and the 9 mm together turned his brains, skull, and flesh to a grizzly mist.

And, they did so against a knife (well, two knives, actually). An involuntary twitch with a knife may cause a cut. Such a twitch on a trigger might have rendered the woman into a permanent vegetative state.

My bet is they wouldn't have taken the shots if there were a gun to her head.

No yellow fluids, just an educated guess.
    Your almost as good as Morgan Freeman the way you word stuff! LOL! I love it

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    at seven yards I would take the shoot....I attempt to go out the range atleast twice a month and shoot about 500 ronds....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    at seven yards I would take the shoot....I attempt to go out the range atleast twice a month and shoot about 500 ronds....
    Against a couple of knives, I would too. Even with a handgun... But it would be much more than one s-h-o-t.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

What I'm aiming for here is not would you take the shoot but rather could you make the shot and at what distance. Do you know for sure at what distance you can make the shot count. If not should it be something you learn?

Each situation is different and you will have to make a decision at that time it can not be made here sitting at the keyboard but at the time and in a split second time. Know if you can make the shot in practice will help in that decision.

As to would I take the shot. If I knew in my heart he was going to use the knife OR GUN I would take the shot. The victim is going to get cut or shot if I don't and maybe not if I do and it may not be as bad a cut or shot if I do disrupt the BG.

Bill, on paper I can make the shot easily. Even further out. But the issue I would have is that as a professional, I know that being too close to the situation could affect my emotions and cause me to error in judgement. If...if I had the opportunity, I would seriously consider allowing other LE handle this.

Either way, you have to be prepared mentally to live with the outcome. That's actually more difficult than taking the shot itself.
    OldVet and tomtsr like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "Either way, you have to be prepared mentally to live with the outcome. That's actually more difficult than taking the shot itself."

That ^ So many people fail to grasp the mental aspect, or underestimate it, when they casually boast they'd pull the trigger. How many cases of PSTD exist becuase some weren't mentally prepared to deal with their actions?

My practice range is 15 yards, and yeah, I'd take the shot. I practice a few head shots every time I go to the range. I'd feel 99% sure I could do it; 99% sure she'd die if I didn't try.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Bang, right up his nose.

With adrenaline pumping, the target moving, and the possibility of putting a hole in the girls head, probably not.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I can't say that I will never find myself presented with this type of scenario. So yes, I do practice for it.

One of the guys I shoot with on a regular basis asked me one day if I would be interested in shooting at partially concealed targets, with the goal being to not hit the concealment. It piqued my interest and I'm glad that I said yes. We use various combinations of water filled and paper targets. Sometimes we practice with applied stress and noise. Some of them simulate just the type of shot you portrayed in your post.

No bravado here. I pray that I never find myself faced with that type of shot. I will take the shot if the imminent threat is there. I'm pretty accurate from 7yds or less but not perfect. Having practiced that shot has shown me that I may have to live with a very horrible outcome. I only have to miss once. So I practice and practice because if that's my loved one in danger I will take the shot. I owe it to them to be prepared because they trust me.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    What I'm aiming for here is not would you take the shoot but rather could you make the shot and at what distance. Do you know for sure at what distance you can make the shot count. If not should it be something you learn?

Each situation is different and you will have to make a decision at that time it can not be made here sitting at the keyboard but at the time and in a split second time. Know if you can make the shot in practice will help in that decision.

As to would I take the shot. If I knew in my heart he was going to use the knife OR GUN I would take the shot. The victim is going to get cut or shot if I don't and maybe not if I do and it may not be as bad a cut or shot if I do disrupt the BG.
    In my Home I can make the shot. In every room, on each floor. I have done sims, under this kind of scenario, I performed well enough that the victim would have survived. Based on that I would act and take the shot, to end the conflict. .
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Just read a post from a Dr who said the best shot when fired from the same level as the BG is through the open mouth to hit the medulla. Less chance of hit bone and deflecting the bullet. Dr stated this was advice he had gotten from snipers.

So guess I'll have to change my mind on talking or not talking to the BG. Make the shot while he is telling you where to go, after asking him to let the victim go and drop the gun or knife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links