Surveyors always meet people with firearms

This is a discussion on Surveyors always meet people with firearms within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Land investments is what inspired me to get my carry permit. You run into some really crazy stuff when out finding property corners....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Surveyors always meet people with firearms

VIP Member
    Land investments is what inspired me to get my carry permit. You run into some really crazy stuff when out finding property corners.

2. Remove Ads

Best be sure of who's property you're on & why you're there around these parts. And, if asked, you surely best be friendly, polite & professional. If you come-on with an attitude & dismiss the man who owns the land, you just MIGHT be spending your last few minutes on...this side of the grass. Folks around here are pretty simple, treat 'em good and they'll treat you better. But treat 'em bad and they'll treat you...WORSE!
    "Surveyor? Nope, I haven't seen him."
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A surveyor cannot trespass. They have no special rights. About the only one that can enter your land or home any time with out any warranty of cause is the DNR/game wardens.
    They have no restrictions

Just another followup...a surveyor in Virginia does have a reasonable right to trespass, of course it boils down to what reasonable means. For instance if I am surveying the location of a property corner, the mere essence of it being a property corner, means that half is on one property and half is on the other property. So when I place my survey pole and prism on the property corner I will be trespassing somewhere as soon as the fish eye bubble becomes level. I have at times had to have property owners obtain a circuit court order to allow me to trespass only because the dispute between the land owners would prohibit me from crossing real or imagined property lines. Of course we all know how well a court order will protect someone. I do let property owners know that what I do has no force of law, only force of opinion. Anybody is allowed to dispute my findings in the field. Only a circuit court judge can chisel a line in concrete. Also if an adjoining land owner tells me to get off their land I have no recourse but to get off their land. Theoretically I could be 50 feet away from their land but if they say I am trespassing I am no different than anyone else, I have to obey trespass laws and leave the property. That is when the courts have to issue trespass orders.

As far as this lady goes, she was far enough away from me that we presented no immediate threat. My daughter was with me, she has to help me if she wants to eat.

Surveyors do not have any special rights and any that think they do are in the wrong profession. I have known some that felt they had special rights but everyone sometimes has to learn the hard way.

Lizjimbo at least you can take a firearm with you when you work.

Me, however, I work for the County Assessor doing real estate appraisal. Our state law requires me to visit 7,000 properties in 3 year cycles to gather information about them. We are not required to call in advance when visiting property.

We cannot be armed even though some of the appraisers have a carry permit, and yes, I have been threatened a few times, have had pistols and rifles in the hands of property owners, and once had to call 911 and have a Sheriff Deputy come to my aid when threatened by a nut case in a subdivision.

State Law forbids me from carrying any weapon while working. I'm just waiting to show up at the most recent meth lab and be pinned down by gunfire or worse.

Stay safe out there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Interesting scenario. The only one I was aware of who could trespass legally without a warrant was DNR. If they come on my property and aren't wearing a recognizable uniform, a prominenantly displayed badge or identification card, don't ring my bell or knock on my door to ask permission to be on my land, in a respectful manner, they will be pettitioning to a higher power.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Tundra, I have to know. Who were they and why were they in your yard?
    The tidal creek we live on was going to be dredged of sediment. The county was having our section surveyed because the were considering putting in an access gate and a 10 ft pathway on the bottom of our (and neighboring) yard between it and the creek to use for cleaning out the creek in the future. The surveyors were there to decide where we had to move our fence and what trees had to come down etc.

For a while, the county had big, intrusive plans but all that finally happened was piece of the creek a mile away from us was partially dredged. We fought and won on the other ideas the government had.

I'm usually fine with someone coming onto my property if they have work that needs to be done but be courteous about it!when the cops came the next morning the young officer who questioned me actually asked me if the lead surveyed was an ex-boyfriend because I knew his name. It was on his shirt! I told the officer I knew his name too because I could read his name tag.

In Virginia you cannot shoot and kill someone...or even wound someone...or even threaten someone with bodily injury for trespassing. Why someone deserves the death penalty for simple trespass is beyond my scope of knowledge. Even the Lord's Prayer says "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us." Now the word "trespass" in the prayer does have multiple meanings and the absolute meaning is to forgive anyone that has caused you an injury, from the slightest to the greatest. I ain't real good at listening to my own lecture though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links