Surveyors always meet people with firearms

This is a discussion on Surveyors always meet people with firearms within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a land surveyor I have on occasion been threatened by land owners with firearms. Today was a bit different. I was staking a property ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Surveyors always meet people with firearms

Being a land surveyor I have on occasion been threatened by land owners with firearms. Today was a bit different. I was staking a property line behind a country house when the lady of the house appeared on the deck. Now of course I was surveying the adjoining piece and made the assumption that the neighbor wasn't home. Well she was and when she came out she called to me and let me know she was armed...which she was, with a 38 Special. She did not have it pointed at me but she did show it to me. In this case I should not have assumed that no one was home. I went on to explain to her what I was doing and we had a friendly conversation and she even offered us water. I apologized for not announcing my presence and went on to tell her I had a 38 just like hers...which I do. I also told her that I carried a 40SW with me into the woods (lions and tigers and bears).

This was a problem I caused by not making my presence known and she knew she did not have to draw a bead on me to get my attention, just wiggle and motion towards the pistol. All went well this time. Her being armed did not bother me in the least, even though I was the subject of her concern. I understood that she was exercising a right to protect herself.

Another hot, humid, and happy day as a land surveyor.
    mcgyver210, Poseidon and mano3 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's pretty obvious what one is doing when surveying, so I don't get the "Run-outside-and-warn-them-away-with-my-gun" attitude some folks display. Paranoia runs deep...
    oneshot, atctimmy and FLArmadillo like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I'm a land planner, so I sit behind the computer most of the time but site visits are pretty routine. I'm a fan of the .40 as well. It's coming close to rifle season, so stay safe out there. Glad you didn't have to look at the business end of that 38.

Never can tell how inventive a criminal may get. She did nothing wrong and you learned its worth a knock to avoid any confusion.
    goldmaster, tundra and mcgyver210 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's pretty obvious what one is doing when surveying, so I don't get the "Run-outside-and-warn-them-away-with-my-gun" attitude some folks display. Paranoia runs deep...
    Provided someone knows what surveying is. Another thing may be the ol' hey I'm here from the electric company to collect your payment home invasion trick. Not condoning her attitude but watchful and aware she should be. Especially if she's alone and there are multiple strangers around.
    packinnova and mcgyver210 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

As a followup the lady let me know that her sister was nearly murdered in her own home by an interloper and that is why she kept the pistol handy. As far as recognizing me as a land surveyor, I had a gentleman in Arlington County, across the river from Washington DC, tell his wife to go get his shotgun because I was setting my instrument up on the sidewalk in front of his house, nowhere near his property. The cops came and I told them that he did not bring it out for show and tell. If he had it would have been a different story for the old fart. I am an old fart but not a grumpy old fart.

Now here is an historical footnote...everyone knows what the worlds oldest profession is...no not lawyer...similar but not the same. I suspect it is a land surveyor. In the book of Deuteronomy God fixes the penalty at death for anyone moving his neighbors boundary stone. Now in the New testament of course we are taught to be merciful.
    ws76133, ccman and atctimmy like this.

A few years ago I came home to find two men in my back yard....they'd helped themselves to climbing over my four foot chain link fence....no truck or any other means of transportation visible on the road either. Our yard is deeper than wide, on a creek, and they were behind the detached garage....no surveying equipment except for a clipboard with them. I went back and politely asked who they were and what they were doing in my yard. What I received in response was nastiness telling me to get in my house and mind my own business. There was no notification they were going to be in our area, they did have small labels embroidered on their shirts but as I didn't get very close I couldn't see that.

Their attitude was they were surveyors and could go where they wanted and do what they felt like without letting the homeowners know they were there, why, or any other information...forget courtesy. They also climbed over my neighbors 6 ft chain link fence, hacked down any plants or small trees they felt were in their way then toss it on the ground.

I can certainly understand letting a strange man in my yard know I was armed. Even without that the jerks actually had the nerve to call the police to come to my home the next morning although they were finished in my yard and the neighbors yards. Why? Because they felt like being jerks and giving me a hard time.

Unfortunately, at the time the dogs I had were pacifists and I wasn't armed. I don't care if you are legally able to come in my yard....if I politely ask what you're doing on my property you better tell me equally politely. There's a lot of difference in how some service or so-called professional people treat women and how they treat men.
    ruger91 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Tundra, I have to know. Who were they and why were they in your yard?

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    Being a land surveyor I have on occasion been threatened by land owners with firearms. Today was a bit different. I was staking a property line behind a country house when the lady of the house appeared on the deck. Now of course I was surveying the adjoining piece and made the assumption that the neighbor wasn't home. Well she was and when she came out she called to me and let me know she was armed...which she was, with a 38 Special. She did not have it pointed at me but she did show it to me. In this case I should not have assumed that no one was home. I went on to explain to her what I was doing and we had a friendly conversation and she even offered us water. I apologized for not announcing my presence and went on to tell her I had a 38 just like hers...which I do. I also told her that I carried a 40SW with me into the woods (lions and tigers and bears).

This was a problem I caused by not making my presence known and she knew she did not have to draw a bead on me to get my attention, just wiggle and motion towards the pistol. All went well this time. Her being armed did not bother me in the least, even though I was the subject of her concern. I understood that she was exercising a right to protect herself.

Another hot, humid, and happy day as a land surveyor.
    As they should be they come around go on people property with out ask and no right to be there.
    Surveyors should contact property owner before they enter. We run into this a lot in the country

I always figured being a surveyor might be a cool job. I'm cool with anyone walking around doing their job around my place. It's when folks come ringing the doorbell that I might display my displeasure. If you're not a solicitor or Jehova's witness....you've got nothing to worry about here. Plenty of witnesses have witnessed my sidearm over the years....some have even witnessed me in my underwear pistol in hand. Hey.....it's my house and I'm inside it. Out in the country, you'll run across just about anything. Lot of meth labs out in the county around these parts. Just be careful out there.

Sort of an interesting scenario. You did mention she offered "us" water, so I think there was at least one other person with you. The .38 she showed, was it holstered? And here's why I ask. I don't think it's exactly safe to walk up on two or more guys in the backyard and show them you're armed (brandish?). If indeed you were bad guys, things could've gone sideways fast and not necessarily in her favor. I have to wonder if she really did know what the deal was and just wanted to be the alpha. I mean (and I'm guessing here) there was probably a truck with the survey company name and phone number in or near the driveway and you guys were carrying survey equipment. Better option is to stay in the safety of the house, cover the likely entrance point(s) and get on the phone and call the number on the truck or the LEOs. Just talkin' about what I'm talkin' about.

Check your laws because in some states you can’t threaten with or use deadly force against a trespasser.

Tundra, I suggest you check the laws in your state. Here in Texas, a surveyor cannot trespass unless he has a court order, and that is a whole other story. They are also liable for any damages. Any surveyor that comes on your property must have permission or the property owner can file trespass charges. However, the first thing that you should do is contact the survey company owner and discuss it with them. The owner may not be aware of what the employees are doing. Of course, if the owner/surveyors is the one that was the jerk on your property then I would file a complaint with the professional licensing board in your state. You can also file criminal trespass as well as civil suit for damages. It is certainly unprofessional of that surveyor or company for that to happen and each state has ways to deal with it. I am a surveyor and that kind of attitude really ticks me off.

On the other hand, I can also tell quite a few stories of having guns pulled and/or threats made against me or my employees. These happened even when we weren't on their property. It gave me some respect for what cops have to deal with.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Slightly off topic but kinda funny story. I have two male pit bulls (brothers) and they mark absolutely everything and anything new on the property. They've marked numerous worker's tool bags, trucks, etc. One day I had surveyors on my land and one dog
    Got out and charged towards the one guy and he froze. At that point, my dog marked him. :D then ran back inside. Luckily he didn't attack the guy.

Sent from my palm device
    tarcher likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not always OV.
    One of my neighbors was getting his land surveyed a few years ago. But, the guy was out there at night. (I discovered him while I was walking my dog at 9pm.)

My neighbors property is fairly big & encompasses woods & swamp areas. So, I can see how a surveyor may get caught out their after dark.

Personally, I think my neighbor should have let me know he was getting his land surveyed and someone may be out on my property as well. I don't fault the surveyor completely. But, if he would have knocked on my door I could have taken him directly to the "marker" he was looking to find. (He certainly wouldn't had to traipse through the woods & swamp to find it; if he had knocked on my door first.)

-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links