Engaging multiple targets

This is a discussion on Engaging multiple targets within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ScottM Seems most people look at this as a 'stand and deliver' exercise. Move, Move, Move! If you GOTX, there is a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Engaging multiple targets

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Seems most people look at this as a 'stand and deliver' exercise.

Move, Move, Move!

If you GOTX, there is a good chance to get at least one BG between you and the others as a sort of cover/concealment. Then you can worry about 1 at a time.

Again, it all depends on positioning. But it does upset the OODA loop.

It works well in FOF drills*.

*(Yeah,Yeah, I know - few really see the value of FOF training or have the time/resources...)
    +1 on everything you said. Airsoft, while sometimes a bit painful, is very instructive.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Good thread tacman!

I'm in the camp everybody gets one (or two); starting with the closest & biggest threats first. One thing about "groups" or "gangs" is there are usually only a few TRUE aggressors that will start it off. If you can understand who the first ones to attack will be (and take them down) you can give yourself a better than average chance of success.

Criminal gangs are mostly made up of a few "Alpha" leaders, find & stop them and the rest of the pack becomes disoriented. This will give you a better chance to escape or more effectively engage.

-

Distinguished Member
    Rule #1, don't draw against a drawn gun(s). To stay alive if you must face 3 BGs, shoot and scoot. Hope your training is better than theirs. Shoot first and shoot fast and shoot straight.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    Granted it's been almost 20 years, but when I was doing my pistol qualifying in the Air Force, the directions were "two shots to the chest, move to the next target".
    Now I know why my target had so many extra holes!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Multiple threats! No thanks, I'd rather not

Eric. Nobody wants to brother but remember you do not set the tone or the situation the bad guys do you simply react to what they do.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

Eric. Nobody wants to brother but remember you do not set the tone or the situation the bad guys do you simply react to what they do.
    Which is why there is no one answer to your original question.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

I know, that was my failed attempt at humor/sarcasm. I would agree that everybody gets one then go back for seconds. Although one may have to deal with immediate threats as the situation unfolds.

I remember while training in aikido students would always have a " what if I did this" in the middle of a technique with a senior student. They were always surprised when they ended up on their backs.

My point! There are always "what ifs" and an infinite number of ways to counter them. The more scenarios you train for the better equipped you are.

If anyone knows the famous Bruce Lee quote.

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)
    tcox4freedom and Bill MO like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Without getting into absolutes on the subject, everyone of the BGs would get some lead flying into them. Thats if they continue the fight my way. If I shoot the first one, and the others run off, they get a pass for the day. There are a lot of variables with this kind of scenario. Very good to think on, very good to train on.....
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Absolutely Mike everyone to their own. Each situation would be different.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Run away as fast as you can. (Seriously.) Standing there and engaging multiple assailants is a profoundly suicidal tactic.
    Last edited by marcclarke; September 8th, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Converted "an" to "and".
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Run away as fast as you can. (Seriously.) Standing there an engaging multiple assailants is a profoundly suicidal tactic.
    Bearing in mind that it is quite possible to not know about the second assailant until his rounds start hitting.
    Tuco

A little variation of what ScottM said, I would get off the X, but in an attempt to line them up so I can shoot all of them with one shot from a Walther P38 like in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I don't have a P38 though, so now I guess I need to go shopping again, dang.

While that was half a joke, I don't see there being very many scenarios where you aren't ventilated taking on 3 gunmen. Assuming they came at you standing shoulder to shoulder, getting to their side so they have to turn and are stacked would give you a better chance to engage one at a time as they have to move out of each other's way.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

For me, it depends on if/how each of them are armed. Ideally, I would engage the closest armed BG, first, and engage each armed BG in order of closeness, however, Clint Eastwood may have had it right in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly," when he is 1 v 4, and wins, because he engages the guy with the crazy eyes first....
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    For me, it depends on if/how each of them are armed. Ideally, I would engage the closest armed BG, first, and engage each armed BG in order of closeness, however, Clint Eastwood may have had it right in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly," when he is 1 v 4, and wins, because he engages the guy with the crazy eyes first....
    Wasn't that "The Outlaw Josey Wales"?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Do we get swords?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links