Motion sensor triggered, garage broken into

Motion sensor triggered, garage broken into

This is a discussion on Motion sensor triggered, garage broken into within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, after a particularly long day, I was doing dishes. It was about 9:30pm and out of the corner of my eye, i noticed ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GoBigOrange

Thread: Motion sensor triggered, garage broken into

Thumbs down Motion sensor triggered, garage broken into

Last night, after a particularly long day, I was doing dishes. It was about 9:30pm and out of the corner of my eye, i noticed the motion activated lights INSIDE my garage turn on and heard a loud smash. I quickly dried my hands and headed for the door, clipping my rig to my belt and slipping on my boots. As i leave the house via the dining room door (old school house, even have a coat room with another exit) i hear what sounds like somebody running. Theres broken glass and a hammer and crowbar lying in the grass. I unsnapped my pistol and headed to the car and got the garage door remote and waited for it to open and watched both doors; as it opens i see the garage is empty and proceeded to walk between the house and garage, turning the flood light to shine directly towards the sounds of running feet. Only problem with this is that we have much tree cover and the garage and house are aligned prefectly so once you reach the corners, you cant see to the left or right. Its coffin black, even with a full moon. I stopped a few feet short nearest the house wall and as i pulled out my flashlight i sensed movement coming directly at my head. Instinctively i guess, i sidestepped turned and drove my left elbow into the soft area of the intruders neck while drawing and heard a low anguished howl. It was my black lab puppy, Ninja. Apparently he rolled and twisted his chain while playing with his squeaky pig and snapped it and broke into the garage, which already had a partially broken in door due to the neighbors in search of mischief. Poor dog. He is now tied up with a 30 foot cable and an extra ground stake in a makeshift 3-point leash and has a few new toys as of 8am today. He still winces when i pet him but he looks as lively and carefree as usual so I guess we both learned a lesson.

Nevertheless, i learned a lesson i forgot. A flashlight does no good in your pocket.
    Last edited by tricolordad; September 9th, 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Poor pooch

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I would say the lesson is: don't go outside to play detective. Call the cops and cover the door. You could have easily been ambushed when you went out there. Just my opinion.

Now, I say that sitting on the comfort of my couch so I may have very well done the same thing as you. Even though you went outside you handled it very well and it sounds like you were prepared.
    Rockymonster and Poseidon like this.

Moral of the story: Beware of playing Ninja at midnight.

I hope the little guy's less skittish (of your petting/handling) over the next few days. He's a lab, so I'm sure he'll be fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out. Absolutely correct about the light.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Aw, poor Ninja. Were you thinking of him when you were checking out the garage? Maybe it's me, but I'd be wondering why my dog wasn't barking, and where is he? A dog in the backyard (and the house) is an extension of the eyes and the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Aw, poor Ninja. Were you thinking of him when you were checking out the garage? Maybe it's me, but I'd be wondering why my dog wasn't barking, and where is he? A dog in the backyard (and the house) is an extension of the eyes and the ears.
    He still hasnt become completely territorial. He barks every now and then and attacked a Punk with a screwdriver when we returned home once ...i assumed he was still chained up in the backyard. When hes in his doghouse, he couldnt care less whats going down lol

VIP Member
    Was he (the pup) the one "playing with the crowbar and hammer?
    I have had labs and dogs for 25 years and they have not used these for toys.
    The hammer I could understand, if it had a wooden handle, and he was using it for a teething toy, but still.

Glad your both ok, but maybe he ran the real culprits off and you ambushed your pooch by mistake.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Hammer and crowbar in the grass?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad to hear everything turned out alright.

Good thing you didn't shoot the dog with your P22.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Yes...explain that please.....
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm guessing that was the "neighbors in search of mischief" part. Might want to clarify that, tricolordad. Broken into or not?

Sponsored Links